Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best CCW in your opinion. Recomendation needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Best CCW in your opinion. Recomendation needed.

My brother-in-law is asking for a good conceal carry weapon. Price is of no object and he plans on trying/shooting whatever will be recommended before buying but he is a total novice (though going through his class right now) and narrowing the list will help him tremendously.

He tried shooting several 45's and 9mm, a couple SW revolver and leaning towards a 9mm pistol for his CCW and .45 (1911) HD weapon.

He is smallish in stature; about 5'-6" and 160 pounds. Wears about 34" pants, M/L shirts.

Again, he wants a 9mm and currently, he is considering Sig 239.

Thank you for your assistance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
My brother-in-law is asking for a good conceal carry weapon. Price is of no object and he plans on trying/shooting whatever will be recommended before buying but he is a total novice (though going through his class right now) and narrowing the list will help him tremendously.

He tried shooting several 45's and 9mm, a couple SW revolver and leaning towards a 9mm pistol for his CCW and .45 (1911) HD weapon.

He is smallish in stature; about 5'-6" and 160 pounds. Wears about 34" pants, M/L shirts.

Again, he wants a 9mm and currently, he is considering Sig 239.

Thank you for your assistance.
This question has probably been asked time and time again. There is no perfect gun. If money is no object, go out and buy/rent several and spend several hundred dollars at the range and take some shooting classes. The best gun is the one you shoot the best and are most comfortable/confident. A 239 is a good all round carry gun and will serve him well. He will probably find that after a while one gun is not enough he may desire some even smaller for times when it is hot and there is not a lot of clothing choices. I alternate between a J Frame 357, a 1911, and a 229.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan

Old 01-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

He plans to shoot as much as he can before buying but narrowing down the list helps. His other problem is not having much choice to rent where he is.

I also think he will end up buying several guns eventually but would like to assist him choosing a good one for now.

Thank you.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #4

The 239 is a good gun and will not let him down. I have one and like it, it is thin, but I also like my 229. I have a higher mag capacity and it is only slightly larger. Glocks and XDs are nice as well. Basically, any modern handgun in the 9mm - 45 acp range, from a reputable manufacture is going to get the job done. Though renting is not a good option for a new person it is the best as they can figure out which feels best and shoots the best. However, I am also partial to my Springfield EMP 9mm.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" -Ronald Reagan

Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I own an XDm but in 40 and plan on having him try it as well. Problem is, we live more than 320 miles away and have no plan on visiting them again for another month.

I will add the 229 to the list for him to consider. I wanted one but cannot afford it so I ended with XDm (w/o regrets). Not sure how difficult it will be for him to CC though.

Thanks again.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:51 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 222 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 28

While there is no "perfect answer", the safest bet in this case is probably a compact (not subcompact) 9mm. The Sig P239 fits the bill. A compact service XD (4"), Glock 19, M&P compact, Sig P229, etc will all probably work as well.

If he's new to shooting it might be best to steer clear of subcompacts and pocket guns initially, as they require more skill to shoot, are less fun to practice with, and aren't really ideal as your soul option for home defense. These guns may be necessary for CC down the line, but it's a bad idea to use them as a launching point.

A good compact 9mm is a pretty versatile option for new shooter. It's cheap enough to feed, adequate for defense, small enough to carry, big enough to enjoy range sessions...and easy enough to sell as his desires evolve.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2654 Times on 1547 Posts
Likes Given: 1176

+1 on the idea that there is no magic handgun that does all.

I carry differently for where I am going, what I am doing, who will I be seeing.

Sometimes two, sometimes three, but never just one.

And just having a firearm in CC does not make anybody a pistolero.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-03-2011, 01:10 AM   #8

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

1. One that goes BANG every time I jerk the bang switch.
2. One that feels good in my hand.
3. One that goes Bang every time I jerk the bang switch.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:15 AM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
1. One that goes BANG every time I jerk the bang switch.
2. One that goes Bang every time I jerk the bang switch.
3. One that feels good in my hand.
Fixed, and seconded.
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-03-2011, 02:07 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Been doing lots of research on this for myself.

First question I've had to answer for myself is how I plan on carrying the weapon. I have decided that it needs to be pocket carry. If I have to put it in a holster on my waist, I know I won't carry it often. Pocket carry limits my choices considerably. For pocket carry, I probably only have a small handful of 9mm choices (Kahr PM9, Rohrbaugh, KelTec PF9). More .38/357 choices: J frame revolvers, Ruger LCR, Ruger SP101 (if you've got a good belt). Lots of 380 choices.

Now if you want to carry in a holster, your choices are almost limitless. For a 9mm, I'd love a Springfield EMP.

I'd recommend the same questions be answered by your brother in law.

1. How will I carry the weapon?
  2. What caliber will I carry?
  3. Where can I play with as many of the choices as possible?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA