Best caliber for stopping power
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best caliber for stopping power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2011, 05:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Best caliber for stopping power

What is the best caliber for stopping power. I'm looking for my first handgun and I've shot 9, 40, 45, and 10 and I've become comfortable with all of them but was curious as to which one has the most stopping power. I plan on using it as a ccw and hd weapon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2772 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Stopping power is relative to shot placement. Any of the calibers listed will cause the same (relative) damage and stop equally well. My recommendation is always to carry the largest caliber you can shoot WELL. I would not feel "undergunned" with a 9mm as long as I had good ammo (Gold Dot, SXT +P+, Hydrashok).

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5740 Times on 2999 Posts
Likes Given: 380

I like 45acp because its a good mix of penetration diameter controllability for follow up shots and accuracy.

My opinion is the bigger the bullet the more liekly you are to hit something important. A bigger hole means faster blood loss stopping the threat sooner saving your life or the lives of your loved ones.

I echo robocop there carry the biggest round you can shoot comfortably and accurately.

I am comfy using a fmj 380 or a 45acp because i know my shot placement is going to be center mass. I practice a lot.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm
Stopping power is relative to shot placement. Any of the calibers listed will cause the same (relative) damage and stop equally well. My recommendation is always to carry the largest caliber you can shoot WELL. I would not feel "undergunned" with a 9mm as long as I had good ammo (Gold Dot, SXT +P+, Hydrashok).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
I like 45acp because its a good mix of penetration diameter controllability for follow up shots and accuracy.

My opinion is the bigger the bullet the more liekly you are to hit something important. A bigger hole means faster blood loss stopping the threat sooner saving your life or the lives of your loved ones.

I echo robocop there carry the biggest round you can shoot comfortably and accurately.

I am comfy using a fmj 380 or a 45acp because i know my shot placement is going to be center mass. I practice a lot.
I shoot weekly with my father, uncle, and my friends and I've shot 1911s (various manufacturers) glocks, smith and wessons, rugers, and several others which I cannot remember who made them in various calibers from 9, 40, 45, 10 and after about 1000 rounds of each caliber I feel comfortable with all of them. Up to about 20 yards all my shots with all the calibers hit center mass on a "burglar with a knife" full torso targets. Many more rounds with go through all of them because everyone let's me shoot there guns to see what I like and with me going to be a cop they want me to be "ahead of the game" with my pistol shooting ability.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

As posted..... caliber doesn't count until the round hits the intended target...... and then there isn't all that much difference....

caliber-compare.jpg  

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1333 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

97cobra, I agree. As long as you can handle it, then size should be as large as is comfortable. However, also ask yourself, is worth the size increase and weight increase in the gun to fire the larger round? If you have a large frame and are physically strong, it probably doesn't matter. Also, does your state law allow large capacity magazines? If you are only allowed ten rounds, then it might be a good idea to carry very large rounds and aim carefully.

Secondly, you should always carry premium defense rounds like Hornady Critical Defense regardless of caliber, but in the event that the round fails to preform, larger rounds have a higher chance to hit critical organs for the plain fact that they are larger and have a higher chance to strike a critical organ as it passes through a body; not by a huge amount, but still every advantage is an advantage!

Finally, carry the largest caliber firearm that you can carry COMFORTABLY and will carry EVERYDAY. The only guns that qualified in that category when I lived in 110 degree weather were .380 acp and small frame 9mm, but I WAS armed every single day. Had I only owned a Colt 1911 A1, I would've found an excuse to not carry, and I know at least twice I would've seriously regretted it. Don't let your friends decide, don't let your family decide and especially don't let your ego decide. Make a decision based on what you intelligently know you will carry ALL the time under every condition and then love your decision! Don't let anyone make you feel like a "wuss" or a "sissy" because you decided on a comfortable gun over a "macho" gun if you choose to go that way. So many men wind up unable to protect themselves because of a bad decision that has a supergun sitting on a nightstand and their "friends" are nowhere in sight when they wind up mugged, beaten or dead.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-15-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
Had I only owned a Colt 1911 A1, I would've found an excuse to not carry, and I know at least twice I would've seriously regretted it.
That's the difference that personal preference makes. I've carried a 1911 of one make or another for over 35 years..... virtually every day. I'm 6' 1" and just over 200 pounds. I have a friend that's larger than I am, and he prefers a Sig 238. There's no right or wrong guns... just lots of personal preferences.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 09-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
97cobra, I agree. As long as you can handle it, then size should be as large as is comfortable. However, also ask yourself, is worth the size increase and weight increase in the gun to fire the larger round? If you have a large frame and are physically strong, it probably doesn't matter. Also, does your state law allow large capacity magazines? If you are only allowed ten rounds, then it might be a good idea to carry very large rounds and aim carefully.

Secondly, you should always carry premium defense rounds like Hornady Critical Defense regardless of caliber, but in the event that the round fails to preform, larger rounds have a higher chance to hit critical organs for the plain fact that they are larger and have a higher chance to strike a critical organ as it passes through a body; not by a huge amount, but still every advantage is an advantage!

Finally, carry the largest caliber firearm that you can carry COMFORTABLY and will carry EVERYDAY. The only guns that qualified in that category when I lived in 110 degree weather were .380 acp and small frame 9mm, but I WAS armed every single day. Had I only owned a Colt 1911 A1, I would've found an excuse to not carry, and I know at least twice I would've seriously regretted it. Don't let your friends decide, don't let your family decide and especially don't let your ego decide. Make a decision based on what you intelligently know you will carry ALL the time under every condition and then love your decision! Don't let anyone make you feel like a "wuss" or a "sissy" because you decided on a comfortable gun over a "macho" gun if you choose to go that way. So many men wind up unable to protect themselves because of a bad decision that has a supergun sitting on a nightstand and their "friends" are nowhere in sight when they wind up mugged, beaten or dead.
I understand that totally. I've already put money aside to buy myself a pistol and my parents are buying me one also for my 21st since I can use it as an academy gun. If I were to choose a bigger caliber like the 10 I'd probably go with the glock 29 since I could conceal it comfortably everyday and I do feel comfortable shooting it. The large frame guns don't bother me as far as weight because I am 6'1-6'2ish according to my last physical depending on how straight I stand lol and I weigh 245 and go to the gym everyday after work. But I don't like large frames because you wouldn't be able to conceal them all that well. I'm in a t-shirt and shorts most of the year even in snow. I'm not the type to choose based on wanting to have the biggest or baddest gun because I don't see the point.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg

As far as mag capacity I can have an extended mag but the 29 holds 10 and that's not too bad compared to my buddies 40 in midsize that holds 13.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
As posted..... caliber doesn't count until the round hits the intended target...... and then there isn't all that much difference....

image-2845865616.jpg

10mm looks pretty decent.