The Best Bang For Your Buck For CCW - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The Best Bang For Your Buck For CCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 02:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertusa123 View Post
i got kelteck's p32 32acp 250$ p11 9 luger 299$ both very relibail the ruger lcp is also in the 300-350 range
There was a widespread issue with the LCP and LC9 slide locking back with ammo still in the mag. Haven't heard if they straightened that out yet. The LC9 is a bit larger than the LCP, which is just above "pocket" size. I couldn't get my hand on the LCP. I can get a little more on the LC9.

If you're looking for a pistol in general, and not something concealable, these are a bit too small for combat effectiveness against an armed attacker(s), I would say.

I carry a full size pistol 5'', I'm slender as all heck, and I can still hide it with no print using an IWB holster at a tilt with an untucked shirt. 17 9mm rounds makes me feel more secure with the potential for several attackers.

Don't recall the OP saying if he wanted something for concealment or for general defense. If you want concealment, then heck yeah, LCP or LC9 are great. I'd just feel undergunned with so few 380's or 9mm's should the situation arise.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #12

I chose the Ruger LCP for a number of reasons. I wanted something very compact to carry, reliable, and not overly expensive and it fit all of those criteria. I added a Hogue grip and the feel is fantastic for such a small gun. i have some new springs to try as well.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #13

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

I have an LC9 - it took a short trip to Ruger and has worked well since I got it back. If you have large hands, you can run into some problems with it. I had to re-train my grip for this pistol as I had a tendency to nudge either the mag release or the slide stop with my usual grip. The trigger pull is also quite a bit too long - fortunately, there are fixes for that. It only came with one mag which is a little annoying considering the cost of the mags.

S&W 3913 - it is quite a bit larger than the LC9 but only gains one round in capacity. The trigger was horrible from the factory which made a trigger job virtually mandatory. After having the trigger reworked, it is incredibly easy to shoot quickly and accurately at anything resembling what you would expect in a self-defense situation. It comes from the factory with Novak 3-dot LoMount sights which is a bonus on any concealed carry gun. As it has a long standing rep as a good option for concealed carry, just about any and every holster maker has a number of holsters for it -- including Milt Sparks. After the trigger job and adding a coupe extra mags (it comes with 2), I have around $1000 in it but it is one of my favorite concealed carry pistols for hot weather.

Glock 23 - If you look around, you can probably find a police trade-in 22 or 23 in extremely good/excellent condition for around $350. One of the shops in my area has the Gen 3 23 for $350 with 3 high cap mags. That ain't bad at all. I hate the plastic sights on the Glocks so those had to go. I gave my 23 a trigger job, re-textured the grip, swapped out the sights and added a couple spare mags and it was entirely good to go. With all mods and extra mags, I still have less than $500 in it. I have put around 2000 rounds through it and I am still waiting for a failure of any type. 13+1 of Corbon 135gr +p should be enough to solve any self defense situation at the local stop-n-rob.

Ruger SR1911 - I paid about $675 for mine. While there were some complaints about these early on, mine shoots as well as just about any of the several 1911s in my collection. I have about 550 rounds through mine at this point with no problems. It is equipped almost perfectly from the factory - tactical thumb safety, light weight trigger, titanium firing pin, etc. There are only 2 things I have been tempted to change on it (which is a small miracle considering it is a 1911) - I am thinking about swapping out the factory 3-dot Novaks for either fiber optic or tritium Novaks. The other is swapping out the factory grips (which aren't bad at all) for some VZ grips. I may just leave it with the factory equipment. I did polish the trigger bow and all other contact surfaces to get the trigger down to 4.25 lbs. Since it is a 1911, there are tons of accessories for it and since it is a .45, practice ammo and self defense ammo can be found just about anywhere. It conceals easily enough in a Sparks VM2, Brommeland Max-Con V or about a dozen other holsters.

Custom Colt Combat Commander .45.
It still has 2 parts (slide and frame) from the factory on it but they have both been modded quite a bit. Novak LoMount sights, Videki speed trigger, match barrel and bushing, Wolff springs, checkered front strap, front slide serrations, beveled mag well, custom guide rod, Brown tactical thumb safety, Brown grip safety, Nowlin Matched TiN hammer and sear, C&S TiN plated series 80 components, Brown Hardcore extractor, EGW extended ejector, Brown hardcore slide stop, 4.0lb trigger, reliability package, carry bevel, etc etc. - you get the idea. ~$3500. This pistol shoots like it is magic - it always forms one ragged hole over the "x". If I ever have to use it in a self defense situation, it is the best money I ever spent.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #14

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
I do not consider the phrase "most bang for my buck" to mean I'm looking to save money. I assume it to be more like what is my best option without NEEDLESSLY spending way too much money. Personally, I've come to the decision that I'd like a Sig P938 Rosewood to carry. That sub-model is not on the market yet as far as I'm aware. I bet I could go more expensive, and way cheaper, but this one fits the bill, and may be the BBFTB.

The statement, Best Bang For Your Buck was not intended in any way to mean save money. You get what you pay for can also have a negative feeling.

When it comes to CCW, I am wanting one that is small enough for the pocket, or use a IWB holster. I have a Smith and Wesson .40c, and given the size of this handgun, I cannot see myself using this as a CCW.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #15

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
The statement, Best Bang For Your Buck was not intended in any way to mean save money. You get what you pay for can also have a negative feeling.

When it comes to CCW, I am wanting one that is small enough for the pocket, or use a IWB holster. I have a Smith and Wesson .40c, and given the size of this handgun, I cannot see myself using this as a CCW.
I for one am glad you cleared that up-
Thats kind of what i was saying in my 1st & only reply-
Well, till now

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I chose the M&P Shield 40 cal and love it. It fits my small hand like a glove. The action on it is smooth. I was a little concerned with 40 cal recoil but no problems with recoil. It feels kinda like 9mm. It's a single stack for easy concealment. My wife's first shot with it was a hair off bullseye @ 12 yds LoL. Highly recommend it for CCW.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #17

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

Sig P290s always seem to be on sale around where I live. 450 or so gets you new gun and 2 mags if you like the double action only trigger it is a pretty decent gun.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #18

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Small enough for a pocket or IWB?

I guess it depends on the size of your pocket but the Ruger LCP is about as large as I go for pocket carry - maybe an LC9 with the flat base pad in the mag. A lot of times, pistols this size don't really like most IWB holsters due to the short barrel length - well, other than the hybrid holsters like the MTAC, Crossbreed, Old Faithful, etc., as they work well with just about any size pistol. If nothing else, the LCP and LC9 make good backup pistols.

IWB class? Almost anything single stack will work with the right belt and holster. I often carry a full-sized 1911 and it vanishes under a t-shirt when it is in any good IWB holster. For that matter, with the right holster, I sometimes carry a Glock 21 IWB (there are some benefits to being over 6'4"). Other good options: S&W 3913 or 4013 (if you can find a 4013 - they were discontinued but they are great carry pistols), Kahr K9 or K40, Springfield XD-S, Glock 36, Dan Wesson v-bob, ECO, Guardian or CCO, Sig 239 SAS, Sig P220 Carry, etc.

If you can stand a slightly thicker lump poking you in the side, the Glock 19 or 23,Glock 26 or 27, Springfield XDM, S&W M&Pc, Sig 250 compact or subcompact, etc.

Long story short: any of the above are a lot of bang for the buck. Narrowing it down to which one is the most bang for the buck for you is going to be a matter of seeing which one fits your hand, has sights you can see clearly and so on. The best handgun for me might be a really bad choice for you due to any number of the reasons stated above.

Find a gun from a quality manufacturer that: feels good to your hand; that is completely reliable with your self-defense ammo; that you can shoot well with at reasonable self defense ranges (4-10 yards); and, that you have complete confidence in after running 300-500 rounds through it. Check all those off and you'll have your most bang for the buck.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #19

Liked 114 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 111

I have the LCP and LC9. I also have the S&W 438 Airweight 38 snubnose revolver and recently added the Ruger LCR snubnose 38 revolver as a consideration as better, possibly, than the S&W. All are meant as carry for me. CCW licensed.

I am kind of a revolver guy - for the simplicity and reliability and safety of a revolver. Yes, they are only 5 shot. But, I have not heard of a defense situation that required more than one or two shots. Now, if our society changes or I start traveling through big city crime infested, drug infested areas - then I would consider a larger capacity gun.

What I find I actually use is almost always the LCP. It conceals so very well. In just about all situations. I am often in dress clothes in social situations - and it fits perfectly. It goes with me on my bicycle...anywhere... It is almost always in a back pocket holster by Stoner Holsters. It works great.

I've carried the S&W some - not much, though - because of the larger size.
I've been trying to make friends with it lately, since I like revolvers. The LCR has a lighter smoother trigger pull and has less felt recoil - due to its wrap around rubber grip. The S&W has the metal frame of the gun - backstrap - against your hand with no rubber - so it's recoil is harsher. The LCR is also a couple ounces lighter than S&W. So the LCR would probably be my preferred replacement for the S&W since it is lighter and I would practice with it more because it has a lighter recoil.

I have never carried the LC9. It is just larger than I want to carry, I guess - though I appreciate its 9mm.

I have a bunch of holsters for these. But in actual practice - I always choose the LCP. And it has never failed on the range. I have to say, it is not my favorite gun to shoot, though. It's recoil is pretty stiff. But as a concealed gun - for when and if you need it, it is there with me. That is what I want.

This is what I have done and do. Others may do differently.

My advice for Best Bang For Your Buck For CCW would be to buy a gun that you will actually carry - no matter the caliber. Buy something that will be with you and not left home that day when you needed it - because it was too bulky or too heavy or didn't conceal well that day or ...
To actually have a gun with you - is the idea. Any gun will most likely stop the aggression - most likely without firing a shot. Just it's appearance will likely end the trouble. And any gun that will fire reliably will most likely end the aggression, if the aggressor foolishly ignores the threat of being shot - although in a sad way.

Last edited by Colby; 10-30-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:05 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5692 Times on 3217 Posts
Likes Given: 5085

HOW MUCH IS YOUR LIFE WORTH???????

Spend the money and get a SIG, Glock, or Beretta.

Winston Churchill