best accurate,reliable .40 caliber,.45, 9mm i could get ?? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

best accurate,reliable .40 caliber,.45, 9mm i could get ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 12:11 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGLOCK23 View Post
I bought a Glock 23 first but if I had known then what I know know I would have got the 19 first. I like the way it shoots better for me anyway.

wooaw man it's a pretty nice little glock collection !!!

is there any reason about why you choose the compact .40 instead of the standard G22 ??

and what do you think about the level of accuracy achievable with the G23 .40 caliber in high speed shooting condition??

Old 11-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #22

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Its too bad I was late posting a reply to your thread. But if you didn't already put a deposit down, this is what I would have recommended.

I have a S&W M&P 40 for my main concealed carry firearm. Its very comfortable to shoot and accurate enough to hit center mass at 50 yards constantly.

I was actually a few days away from buying a Glock 22 and the instructor I had for my LTC class got word of it and wouldn't let me buy a Glock 22 without first shooting his M&P 40. He had to borrow a Glock from a fellow police officer and we went to the range with a couple hundred rounds. He had me shoot the Glock 22 first. At first I thought he was trying to sell the Glock because it shot rather well and felt ok. Then I picked up the M&P 40 and instantly grinned. Smith and Wesson actually thought about ergonomics when they made it!!! It probably has the same grouping as the Glock at bench rest, but I'm positive the ergonomics helped me shoot better. And follow up shots were a piece of cake. Probably because I wasn't trying to grip a "brick" that wants out of your hand.
P.S. I heard Smith and Wesson hired Glock to help design the M&P line. So pretty much the M&P line has the best of Glock design, plus the best of Smith and Wesson, which equals the best money can buy in my mind.

There's nothing wrong with a Glock, but its not my first pick and wouldn't feel confident with it if the sh*t hits the fan. The Glock has a very nice reputation, but its out-dated. In my opinion, they haven't updated it enough in the 20+ years its been in production. Its not like its a 1911 or something. It was instantly popular in the past with law enforcement because of the polymer frame, but that's common and expected now. If you buy a Glock, your paying for the name. There are plenty of firearms that are better than or equal in reliability and accuracy to the Glock and cost the same or less.

Also, check out the Sig Sauer line. MA State Troopers carry Sigs, not sure what model.

Springfields aren't legal in MA so I have no opinion about them, but I heard they are nice.

As for a .45? Obviously a 1911. But I'm going with the original 1911 manufacturer, Colt.

And a 9mm? If you haven't already bought a firearm in 9mm by the time you read this, get a M&P 9, maybe a compact for a backup to your Glock. But if your hell bent on owning another Glock, get a 17, that way at least you can get a couple of 30 round mags for it.

Last advise: Rent or borrow as many firearms as you can go to the range before making a decision!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:48 AM   #23

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockmaniac View Post
holly sh**...wooaw. very intimidating that vid! i know some users over here say that NEVER SHOOT UNJACKETED AMMO WITH A GLOCK??(lead only ammunition??).

is polymer would be responsible in part for that kind of incident??
He could have been shooting hand loads. I have no idea about shooting unjacketed ammo with a glock.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 11-11-2008 at 12:51 AM. Reason: oops

Old 11-11-2008, 02:16 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Its too bad I was late posting a reply to your thread. But if you didn't already put a deposit down, this is what I would have recommended.

I have a S&W M&P 40 for my main concealed carry firearm. Its very comfortable to shoot and accurate enough to hit center mass at 50 yards constantly.

I was actually a few days away from buying a Glock 22 and the instructor I had for my LTC class got word of it and wouldn't let me buy a Glock 22 without first shooting his M&P 40. He had to borrow a Glock from a fellow police officer and we went to the range with a couple hundred rounds. He had me shoot the Glock 22 first. At first I thought he was trying to sell the Glock because it shot rather well and felt ok. Then I picked up the M&P 40 and instantly grinned. Smith and Wesson actually thought about ergonomics when they made it!!! It probably has the same grouping as the Glock at bench rest, but I'm positive the ergonomics helped me shoot better. And follow up shots were a piece of cake. Probably because I wasn't trying to grip a "brick" that wants out of your hand.
P.S. I heard Smith and Wesson hired Glock to help design the M&P line. So pretty much the M&P line has the best of Glock design, plus the best of Smith and Wesson, which equals the best money can buy in my mind.

There's nothing wrong with a Glock, but its not my first pick and wouldn't feel confident with it if the sh*t hits the fan. The Glock has a very nice reputation, but its out-dated. In my opinion, they haven't updated it enough in the 20+ years its been in production. Its not like its a 1911 or something. It was instantly popular in the past with law enforcement because of the polymer frame, but that's common and expected now. If you buy a Glock, your paying for the name. There are plenty of firearms that are better than or equal in reliability and accuracy to the Glock and cost the same or less.

Also, check out the Sig Sauer line. MA State Troopers carry Sigs, not sure what model.

Springfields aren't legal in MA so I have no opinion about them, but I heard they are nice.

As for a .45? Obviously a 1911. But I'm going with the original 1911 manufacturer, Colt.

And a 9mm? If you haven't already bought a firearm in 9mm by the time you read this, get a M&P 9, maybe a compact for a backup to your Glock. But if your hell bent on owning another Glock, get a 17, that way at least you can get a couple of 30 round mags for it.

Last advise: Rent or borrow as many firearms as you can go to the range before making a decision!

woaw,yeah, pretty handy reply you made. i bough the glock 22 mainly because all the good things i heard about it excepting his aversion for lead bullets.

but that's a bit true they look like a brick with a grip.

in fact , i'm also on the market for a sigsauer P226 X5 competition .

really not in the same class estheticaly than the glock lolol...that one will be for competition only and will probably keep it forever!! very costy,but to me,it's like a ferrari or better, a porsche...

if only i could get some infos from some users of the P226 series, wich seems to be unknown over this forum...lol

i will defenatly follow your Q's about the M&P in 9mm caliber...this one will be for my wife, as we go togheter at the range .

thanks dnthmn for taking time to share your knowledge with me, i really appreciate it, believe me!!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #25

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockmaniac View Post
woaw,yeah, pretty handy reply you made. i bough the glock 22 mainly because all the good things i heard about it excepting his aversion for lead bullets.

but that's a bit true they look like a brick with a grip.

in fact , i'm also on the market for a sigsauer P226 X5 competition .

really not in the same class estheticaly than the glock lolol...that one will be for competition only and will probably keep it forever!! very costy,but to me,it's like a ferrari or better, a porsche...

if only i could get some infos from some users of the P226 series, wich seems to be unknown over this forum...lol

i will defenatly follow your Q's about the M&P in 9mm caliber...this one will be for my wife, as we go togheter at the range .

thanks dnthmn for taking time to share your knowledge with me, i really appreciate it, believe me!!
When I was going through the police academy, a fellow student was in the market for his first handgun. He ended up choosing a Sig 226 two tone. He brought it in so I could look over it, and it was very nice. The only thing with Sigs is they are so damn expensive! Good luck with your future endeavors.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 11-11-2008, 02:23 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Browning Hi-Power

The best, most reliable, most accurate, most comfortable, best balanced (and prettiest) 9mm pistol in the world (and I've fired a bunch) is hands down the Browning Hi-Power standard.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:43 PM   #27

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I happen to be partial to my Taurus 24/7 Pro in .45 ACP Always functions, shoot very well, and cycles quite fast. picture below is 185 gr FMJ Ranier bullet I handloaded and the other is Remingon 185 gr Golden Saber in a 3 shot group with expanded bullets above the holes in the target. First target the 185gr_FMJ was a 5 shot group.
185gr_fmj-medium-.jpg   target_rp_goldensaber-medium-.jpg  

http://Taurus45ACP.com Personal Taurus Pistol site with info and pictures and links.
Taurus Millennium PRO in .45 ACP, Bersa Thunder 380, SIG Sauer SP2022 in 9mm
AR-15s

Former Certified Law Enforcement Officer, Nebraska

Occam's Razor "The simplest explanation is usually
the best"

Old 11-12-2008, 12:47 AM   #28

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
He could have been shooting hand loads. I have no idea about shooting unjacketed ammo with a glock.
Given the "range" they were at, the nature of the victim's "shooting", and the number of kids around, I don't think he was going through a batch of carefully-prepared handloads. But I will watch it again. The first 3 looks left with the sense that armed gangs aren't restricted to the United States.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Okay, maybe it should be entitled "Uncle Armando Tries Out Gun He Found". "Manila Vice"? http://66.235.120.64/ts?t=4162971071080241092&pid=23072&ppid=6

Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 741512th View Post
The best, most reliable, most accurate, most comfortable, best balanced (and prettiest) 9mm pistol in the world (and I've fired a bunch) is hands down the Browning Hi-Power standard.

woaw...thanks for pointing out that one.

after your reply,i watched and asked on some other website i go sometimes...really,in the 9mm class the hi-power mark lll as well as standard seems to be THE best 9 available....and the cool thing about it,is that it comes standard with 10 rounds mags wich is mandatory in canada...that mean no mods wich is cool. as this one is for my wife, i think it is the best pick for her.
051001m.jpg