Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best 9mm on the market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Wow. 4 pages and no one has mentioned the H&K USP or the old H&K PSP.

Glocks are ok if you want a big blocky thing with no soul. The Hi-Power is a timeless classic that I'm proud to carry when I'm in the mood but that USP shoots like there's no tomorrow and it beats out Glock for accuracy and reliability, which is one reason that many law enforcement agencies that don't just look at cost are buying them over Glocks.

And I say this as the owner of several Glocks. I don't hate them--I just don't think that they're all that special any more. two decades ago, sure. Now? nah.

And the Beretta 92F deserves a lot more mention than it's had here as well.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:51 AM   #42

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919A4
Wow. 4 pages and no one has mentioned the H&K USP or the old H&K PSP.

Glocks are ok if you want a big blocky thing with no soul. The Hi-Power is a timeless classic that I'm proud to carry when I'm in the mood but that USP shoots like there's no tomorrow and it beats out Glock for accuracy and reliability, which is one reason that many law enforcement agencies that don't just look at cost are buying them over Glocks.

And I say this as the owner of several Glocks. I don't hate them--I just don't think that they're all that special any more. two decades ago, sure. Now? nah.

And the Beretta 92F deserves a lot more mention than it's had here as well.
Hk and beretta are out of the price limit.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:10 AM   #43

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I like the Glock 19, because it has been proven all over the world, the military sent the berettas back and had Glocks sent to Iraq and Afghanistan. Glock put their own gun through a torture test(267,000 rounds). It made it through -40 degrees, 130 degrees, salt water, fresh water, combat, and accurate. The trigger is rough, but consistent. It carries comfy, no hammer poking you, no safety to switch, durable, reliable, and easy to find holsters and parts for it. Some of the reasons Glock is chosen by so many agencies is: price, it works no matter what, life time warranty, light weight, and it has very few moving parts which means less to go wrong. I would suggest the Glock 19 or 23 for a conceal carry gun or range gun. They are ugly, but you don't have to be pretty to kill. They will out last an AK, go to hell and back, burry it, water it freeze it, stone it, drag it, or drop it, but most of all keep you alive. More Glocks are keeping LEO and soldiers alive than any other pistol, but that is your choice. Just some advise.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919A4 View Post
Glocks are ok if you want a big blocky thing with no soul.

No soul? What gun has a soul?

Not special anymore? Everybody and their grandmother has a "Glock-inspired" clone. It's like saying that the Colt 1911 isn't special anymore because everyone makes a clone of it. If it wasn't special, it wouldn't be imitated.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #45

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce

No soul? What gun has a soul?

Not special anymore? Everybody and their grandmother has a "Glock-inspired" clone. It's like saying that the Colt 1911 isn't special anymore because everyone makes a clone of it. If it wasn't special, it wouldn't be imitated.
Well said, and very true. The soul comes from the person shooting it.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #46

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
Been several posts for Glocks...nothing wrong with that but I'd like to mention that all the great things about the G's can be found in the Smith & Wesson M&P 9, with the added benefit of spending your money on an American product. Also, unless Glock has done something with their triggers lately, I think the M&P's is nicer, and easily modded.

I use mine for CC and range use. I shoot whatever 9mm Para I have for plinking at the range, and switch to Federal 115G +p+ hollow points when it's time to think about why I own a handgun. I don't worry about the +p+ bullets because a) I almost never fire them and b) I isntalled a DPM recoil management system. It's a nice drop-in upgrade but it is a bit pricey though for what you are buying.
I like mine. It took awhile to get it from S&W (my first post). For the price ($509) and all the goodies I got with it (see photo), I could have done much worse. Plus, I recently took it to the range to let off some pressure (mine, not the pistol's) and at 25 feet punched out a palm sized hole with 3 magazines worth of rounds.
carry-range-kit.jpg  

Old 07-21-2011, 06:08 PM   #47

Liked 19 Times on 10 Posts

BTW, the $509 was for the Range & Carry kit. It included everything there except the rounds and the towel.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #48

While I agree with some of the things said about the M&P, I think the smoother trigger is cancelled out by a lack of definite reset. The stock Glock trigger, while not the best, is really predictable with the reset. It clicks and you can feel it. Not so with the M&P. (And yes I own a 9mm and the .45) There are some nice features that the M&P has over the Glock but the trigger as a whole is not one of them.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #49

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
I carry either the Ruger SR9c or the Glock 26 as my main carry firearm, and I also carry a Kahr PM9 in my pocket.
+1 on the Ruger SR9C. I have a SR9 & a SR9C, they're both very accurate & reliable.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:19 PM   #50

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

All this talk about 9s is making me want to put AR build on hold for a month or 2 and get a 9. I sold my last 9 to a friend for security guard work.