Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best 9mm on the market?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by g17frantz
Glock. Glock. Glock. Did i say glock? Oh yeah, glock.
But what do you think of a Glock?

Member:
Bug Out Whale Competition Shooting Team
Louisiana Shooting Association Board of Directors
Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club
Field Precision Rifle Match Director

Old 07-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

There is always a Hi-Point C9 if it just for range shooting.

Username has 40cal in it but looking for a first handgun in 9mm.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #23

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

The budget is $600 - $650 tops.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Username has 40cal in it but looking for a first handgun in 9mm.
I missed that...nice catch! LOL

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 07-19-2011, 12:04 AM   #25
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck View Post
There is no "best." - Just what's best for YOU.
Finally. It took too long for that to be said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40calcliffy View Post
The budget is $600 - $650 tops.
That will limit you a little. New Browning Hi-Powers would be difficult at that range.

Check out the S&W's, the Springfield XD and XDm's, the H&K's, etc. And Glock if you have to.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-19-2011, 12:59 AM   #26

Liked 663 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1374

Default 9mm recommendation

I bought a Ruger P95 2 years ago... As with all my Rugers I LOVE IT!! American made, easy to use and clean, good power, light recoil and at least $100 less than comparable models by Sig, Berretta, S&W etc... The only issue is the bulk (double stack 15 +1 rounder) so it's not easily hidden in warm weather with light clothing (Forget carrying it inside the waistband!!)... So for Summer carry I have a Polish P64 with the Wolff replacement spring kit installed (lighter trigger pull & recoil now)... BUT(and this is important info now...) it shoots a 9 x 18 mm (also called the 9mm Makarov).. which is kind of hard to find in just a plinking round (Cheaper Than Dirt carries several different makes though)... You can pick up these for around $150 to $250 either at a gun show or online at Gunbrokers.com...
BE SURE to ask when looking.... some dealers are unaware that there is even a difference between the readily available 9mm "Luger" (or 9x19) and the Eastern bloc 9mm "Makarov" (or 9X18) round as they show you stuff!! They just see the "9mm" stamp on the side and sometimes assume!!
Good luck and happy shopping/shooting!!

Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 AM   #27

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Guns that I like (and either own or shoot often) that should fit your price range with ammo money left over:
CZ75B
S&W M&P
Springfield XD series
Ruger P-series

I'm not a Glock fan, but it is because the one's I've fired don't fit my hand well. I have nothing bad to say about Glock otherwise.

The best range gun isn't going to be the best CC gun, and vice versa. So maybe you should decide which function is more important to you and focus there. For range and home defense, a fullsize all-metal gun would be my choice (like the CZ), while a smaller, poly-framed gun is my choice for CCW.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:59 AM   #28

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

Finally. It took too long for that to be said.

That will limit you a little. New Browning Hi-Powers would be difficult at that range.

Check out the S&W's, the Springfield XD and XDm's, the H&K's, etc. And Glock if you have to.
I haven't shot a browning hp in a while, but when I did I was wow. I like them. Maybe a used one in good condition would work.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #29

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88

For range use, I urge you to check CZ 75 SP01 (all steel) before buying. I heard a lot of good things about Browning Hi Power but never had the chance to shoot one yet (and they are a bit more expensive). Sig 210 is from the same design (as far as I know) but they are worth 4x or so than BHP or CZ.

A cheap (used) alternative that I love is S&W 5906. For $300.00 at CDNN, it is a steal.

As mentioned, use the recommendations here to narrow your list then see which one works for you best. Good luck!!!
The only bad thing about hi powers are the magazine disconnect safety, but they are awesome shooters. Very accurate. John browning did design the 1911, and you'll see a lot of those features in hi power.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:14 AM   #30

Likes Given: 1

Default my list

Consider this, get two of the same platform in different sizes. One for the range, one for carry. That way you will get fully familiar with the gun's mechanisms and break down process for both guns. Practice, practice, practice. Some possibilities:
>Glock 17 and Glock 26 - excellent pistols, reliable, great trigger, but no safety, decocker, or hammer if you prefer those
>Kahr PM9 and Kahr P9 - very light and concealable, very reliable, PM9 has long double action trigger pull, a little hard to break down, no hammer or decocker. PM9 is my top choice for CCW
>Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact and full size - excellent pistols, great trigger, natural point, decocker, hammer, and safety (SA/DA) a little thick for carry
>Sig 226 and Sig 239 - quality pistols, decocker and hammer, heavy for carry, more pricey
>Ruger SR9C and SR9 - inexpensive, reliable, feature rich
>Springfield XD - 3" subcompact, and then a 4" or 5" for the range. This pistol (at least to me) is very similar to the Glock

All of these pistols are reasonably priced and are main stream enough to find magazines and holsters easily. I would get or add three dot night sights to any of these. As you will hear a hundred times. There is no "best pistol". It is a personal choice based on your preferences for price, feel, and features (hammer or striker, decocker, LCI, striker status indicator, grip safety, etc.)
>>PS - I am not a fan or 1911 style or revolvers so I left those out of the discussion, just my preference<<

Last edited by pistolero_loco; 07-20-2011 at 02:17 AM. Reason: addition