Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Best 9mm for Leftys?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/best-9mm-leftys-53614/)

jcast 12-15-2011 03:17 AM

Best 9mm for Leftys??

Can anyone help me with this or provide a recommendation? Looking for a 9mm pistol to start with my permit. I've been doing alot of research but just wanted to post this for some more knowledgable people to help out. Looking to spend under $600. I wanted a glock but they not really lefty friendly. Taurus has a few ambidextrous mag release n safety. Anyone want to help? Much appreciated.

John

gollygee 12-15-2011 03:43 AM

I'm partial to Bersa pistols, having 5 of them. Their 9mm pistols have reversible mag catch & ambi safety/decocker. They offer an Ultra Compact with 13+1 capacity & a full size with 17+1 capacity (about the size of a commander size 1911, but with thicker grips) & both of mine are dead-on accurate from a rest. Price should be in the area of $400 to $450. Those & their .45ACP are getting the rep of being Bersa's best.

DrumJunkie 12-15-2011 03:46 AM

Being left handed also I do understand this question all too well. Honestly though for me it has been much easier top asdapt myself to the fiurearm rather than look only for one that is the most left hand friendly. There are a couple that are more ambi that work well. I bought a Browning Pro 40 a while back when they still made them. I'm noty a fan of most poly frame weapons mainly for the reason they are mostly striker fired and I just don't like them. But this one has the external hammer that for some reason is must more workable for me. The FNP or FNX lines are for the most part the same weapons. They have the ambi safety and de-cock and I'd read the mad release is moveable but it really does not bother me to have it on the other side. I've become used to them being on the "other side" on 1911's and that has been my weapon of choice for many years now. Even 1911's that don't have an ambi safety are really no bother if you can become used to them and adapt. But adding one to a 1911 is a pretty easy thing to do.

A lot of people don't like Taurus weapons and they have a pretty god reason to being the history. I do believe that they are making much better weapons than they did 10+ years ago. If it's a Taurus you're looking at and that fits your hand well then go for it. Bottom line is what fits my left hand might not yours. You really need to pick up a bunch of different weapons and see what gives you the "lovin' feeling". I will say though if you have not look at the FNP or FNX pistols. They are well builkt and do have the changeable back strap. so getting a good fit is a little easier than the one size fits all pistols. They run just under 600.00 and I've yet to see an owner not like them. I'm not all that sure if the FNX has the ambi safety but the FNP does. I'm sure that there's someone here that will know more about themn than I do. I've held one (FNX) but it was a while ago and my memory is not the best.

Whatever you do get what feels best to you. You can ask 10 people and get 10 different answers as to what's the best 9mm. If it was me right now I'd lean to the FN but I have a pretty good history with them. I've not heldmany of the new Taurus pistols. I had one of the PT140's a while ago and it shot pretty well but it just didn't feel as well over time as I would have liked. It was a well built pistol though.

DrumJunkie 12-15-2011 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gollygee (Post 652316)
I'm partial to Bersa pistols, having 5 of them. Their 9mm pistols have reversible mag catch & ambi safety/decocker. They offer an Ultra Compact with 13+1 capacity & a full size with 17+1 capacity (about the size of a commander size 1911, but with thicker grips) & both of mine are dead-on accurate from a rest. Price should be in the area of $400 to $450. Those & their .45ACP are getting the rep of being Bersa's best.

Bersa makes a pretty good weapon for the price. I had forgot about those..

jcast 12-15-2011 04:13 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't really even know about them. But glad I posted and did research. Fnp looks like a nice gun. I appreciate all the help before I go and buy. Still waiting for my ny permit. Should come soon enough. Just wanted to know all I can before I go. Spend that much money I want something that's going to fit me and I'll enjoy. Looking to really get into this.

DrumJunkie 12-15-2011 04:24 AM

It's addicting ;) I used to have a 22 to plink and thought about getting a carry piece after a pretty long wile "pistoless". Now I have 30+ (long and short combined) and am looking at several more all the time.

DougB 12-15-2011 12:06 PM

I settled on a Beretta PX4 9mm. It's very "lefty" friendly.

MonsterBeck40 12-15-2011 12:56 PM

If you havent purchased yet also look into a walther ppq. Around $500

RecklessRegard 12-15-2011 01:23 PM

I sold it, but if I remember correctly, my S&W M&P was pretty ambidextrous. Very accurate and fun to shoot, but at the time it wasn't my cup of tea.... Still kicking myself for getting rid of it.

Ghostman2nv 12-15-2011 04:02 PM

Pretty much any Walther gun is lefty friendly, i know im lefty, i have the P22 the PPS 9mm and the PPQ 40.love the mag release location on Walthers,i want a p99 but havent gotten one yet. Soon :).
Not a glock fan, very thick weapons and not lefty friendly, i do have a sw sigma 9mm and its not lefty gun but i learned to release mag with my left hand middle finger and release slide with my left pointer finger, lol works just as fast as if i did it normally w right hand,im lucky i can shoot very well with either hand, being lefty in a right hand world makes us leftys very ambi. Walther pps is awsome for carry and lefty, highly rec it