Best 9mm to buy. - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best 9mm to buy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 02:10 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2480 Times on 1418 Posts
Likes Given: 1940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deigoboy View Post
Thanks for all your input! Are there certain guns that will jam less? Or never misfire? Easy to clean?
The Beretta 92FS. Have 3 of them, never a jam. Digests

most ammo, even the Tula. Easier than most

to field strip, clean, and re-assemble.

Last edited by therewolf; 07-09-2014 at 02:14 AM.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:35 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
The Beretta 92FS. Have 3 of them, never a jam.
and designed specifically for...Sasquatch.

Very good gun, but terribly overbuilt. Why have a gun the does the same thing and holds the same capacity, when your gun could be 25% bulkier for no apparent reason!!!? That sounds like a bad infomercial, yet states exactly my experience with this gun. Yes, I've owned one...and shot probably a dozen others. And I'm north of both 6' and 200lbs.

The M9/92 works fine. Great gun for folks with monster paws who have little need for concealment. But it would seem a poor fit for most female shooters. Regarding metal framed 9mm service pistols for women- CZ, BHP, or Sig will usually offer a better fit...and superior gun too, in my experience.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:04 AM   #33

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

A lot of "reliability"issues come from the word of mouths of noobs not giving a gun is proper break in period.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:18 AM   #34
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Read & heed:

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/for-the-men/what-gun-for-a-woman/
http://www.corneredcat.com/article/for-the-men/buying-a-gun-for-your-wife/

Most modern pistols using quality ammo are reliable when properly maintained. Shhh, don't tell anyone I said this, but most pistols you're liable to end up with are pretty darned good. So don't get caught up in the brand warfare, get the one you like. Test drive a few, at some point one will stick out in your mind.
Ditto- misfires. Unless theres a mechanical problem, the rare misfire is usually an ammo problem.
It's a rare pistol thats hard to take down and clean anymore.

both of those were well written articles. it would do well for more men to read them, especially when they think it's time for them to pick out a gun for their wife, GF, sister or any other female in their lives they might feel the need to choose a gun for.

hopefully more of out male members here will read them and gain some enlightenment into women and guns.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #35

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I guess I should've given more info right out the gate. I have a GP100, and you all know it's a beast!!! Way to much kick for a woman and a small one at that. Ol'lady ain't too wild about guns so the new toy is mine. Picked 9mm because I knew she would be able to handle the kick if need be. Hoping she'll like it and want to get some range time in!! Thanks again for all the advice!!

Old 07-09-2014, 05:45 AM   #36
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
I guess I should've given more info right out the gate. I have a GP100, and you all know it's a beast!!! Way to much kick for a woman and a small one at that. Ol'lady ain't too wild about guns so the new toy is mine. Picked 9mm because I knew she would be able to handle the kick if need be. Hoping she'll like it and want to get some range time in!! Thanks again for all the advice!!
i'm sorry, but i have to disagree with your assessment on the GP100. one of the Mods here on the forum, a lady named Winds of Change is very small lady and she owns and shoots a GP100. my own wife is a shorter woman with much smaller hands than mine has no problems with recoil or handling my mine or my father's 357 Magnum revolvers. another lady member here even owns and shoots a 500 S&W Magnum pistol and does very well with doing it.

are you just assuming she can't handle the recoil, or actually know for a fact she can't? what she can handle might suprise you.
Old 07-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Everybody has an opinion, that's fine. I just know firing off a 357 magnum is no joke. If the kick makes my arms jump, and my arm sore the next day, I couldn't imagine what it would do to my wife's. Puts the fear of God in me that she would accidentally drop a loaded gun from the recoil.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #38
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3154 Times on 2143 Posts
Likes Given: 682

Default Best 9mm to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I've never found recoil to mean a thing regardless the caliber or size of gun and even if it were its something that can be trained through. A poorly fitting gun is not and shouldn't be, afaic. But all good things to think about I'm sure.

And how long are you shooting ? Training Female or youth Shooters? EVERY non skilled female or youth shooter who has shoot with me Including my Wife, who is a good Shooter and Trained by her Police Career Father,..will disagree with you, unless you know one carrying a 44Mag Desert Eagle or an S&W 44Mag or larger revolver. Ask some of the woman shooters here or,
If you would like to dispute me on that, fine , but find 25 women shooters to back up your claim. Even one of our mods here, a lady, owns a 357, but I doubt she would carry it daily. My dad and Uncle( both Militart and Career LE's) took me out the first time as a 6 yr. old . I might have WANTED to Shoot Dad's 1911 or Colt 357's, but that didn't happen for Several Years After that first time as a pudgy 6 Year old from Pelham Parkway in the Bronx,...my wife is 5'2", and can shoot 357's all day, and Shot a Ruger Super Redhawk for her 50th birthday, but she wouldn't Carry one around,...does your Wife/GF carry a 44?
There are some women who shoot 357's regularly, Axxe mentioned Winds as did I further up in this post, and my wife owns Two, but Shoots 38+P's in her HD gun,...but I doubt any of them would Say ( Recoil doesn't matter and neither does the size of the gun)..,BTW. Until Monday afternoon I had not Shot any kind of Recurve, compound, or Crossbow in about 35 years. Was glad I was one out of 3 at 7 yards in my Back yard with one Bolt broken against my Security wall, and another Stuck perm. In my metal Cactus Sculpture after going through my Target at 250FPS,..... And in my younger days I shot Expert with the 1911, M9 when it was still being tested out , and with the M-14F and M-21,.....

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Last edited by DrFootball; 07-09-2014 at 08:05 AM.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
are you just assuming she can't handle the recoil, or actually know for a fact she can't? what she can handle might suprise you.
I tend to agree. Even for those sensitive to recoil, if they struggle with a GP100 (loaded with 38 Special)...they'll also struggle with almost any 9mm on the market. The one caveat is of course if the GP100 somehow fits their hands really poorly.

A GP100 is a fine gun. Load it with 38spl defense loads, and it's about as tame and confidence inducing as anyone could hope for from a legitimate defense round.

9mms can be great, as can 38/357, and countless others. If you want your wife to succeed, make sure she's directly involved/vested in the selection process. That'll generally yield the best results. Buying a gun 'for you' and expecting a hesitant shooter to simply 'adapt' will likely prove a tall order. 22lr, 22wmr, 327mag, 380acp, 9mm, 38spl/357mag (heck, even 5.7x28 if it's in the budget)...these can all be decent options...but she'll probably do best if she chooses her own route to success.

Nothing wrong with 22lr. Not the ideal defensive choice, but a good confidence and skill builder. One caliber vs another takes a way way way back way distant seat to her enjoying the process and developing confidence. And that applies to all shooters, regardless of age or gender. Regardless of natural aptitude, most folks will suck at anything they dislike doing.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2815 Times on 1398 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Quote:
Everybody has an opinion, that's fine. I just know firing off a 357 magnum is no joke. If the kick makes my arms jump, and my arm sore the next day, I couldn't imagine what it would do to my wife's. Puts the fear of God in me that she would accidentally drop a loaded gun from the recoil.
I've seen some small women kick serious butt with some real boomers.
Handling recoil is a teachable skill. With the right mindset and proper instruction, recoil management it's not a terribly big deal to learn.
People of relatively small stature live to tell about S&W X Frames all the time. A Ruger .357 pales in comparison.
Start her out with some .38 special loads and see if she later wants to work up from there.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld