Best 9mm to buy. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Best 9mm to buy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2014, 04:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all your input! Are there certain guns that will jam less? Or never misfire? Easy to clean?
therewolf Likes This 
Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #22

Liked 2224 Times on 1527 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If your wife is new to pistols a G19 or a M&P 9 is were I would steer her. I would still let her select the pistol. Compact pistols are easy to shoot proficiently. Once her confidence is high she can get a Beretta nano, G26 or any of the wide variety of subcompact pistols.

The G19 is a great training pistol. The G19 magnifies a shooters errors. Once they learn the proper form they will be able to do many of the things Hickok45 does with his G19 including hitting the gong way over yonder. It won't happen overnight but if they practice a couple times a week they will be proficient with a G19 in 120 days.

Two of my friends wifes carry a LCP. Neither of them have shot 50 rounds of ammo through their gun. Subcompact pistols are no joy to shoot and it is much harder to shoot a subcompact pistol proficiently.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #23

Liked 3910 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 6474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deigoboy View Post
Thanks for all your input! Are there certain guns that will jam less? Or never misfire? Easy to clean?
I know this is out of nowhere...but. Consider a .38/357 revolver with a 4.5 in barrel..at least have her shoot one.. They are tons of fun at the range, very accurate, no jams, simple to operate, easy to clean, just a pleasure to own and shoot. The .38 Spec is smoothe as butter, recoil feels good...Then if she wants to get a little crazy, you have the 357 option. If she starts to like guns, she will end up with 28 of them anyways, and the 357 revolver is a main staple in any arsenal.... Just something to consider....or not....

Last edited by rn-cindy; 07-08-2014 at 06:00 PM.
People Like This 
Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 PM   #24

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deigoboy View Post
Never had a glock jam.

No joke, just saying.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:27 PM   #25

Liked 1108 Times on 731 Posts

Maybe his wife doesn't want an ugly gun. 😬

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

Old 07-08-2014, 10:38 PM   #26

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Have her handle a Beretta PX4 compact. My girlfriend loves mine

Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #27
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22395 Times on 12494 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

simply put, there is no best 9mm pistol. there are good number of decent ones and good number of better ones.

what is best or better for one person may not be the case for another person.

the only way to find out what is best suited for her needs is to start hitting the gun stores and trying them out. if the pistol is for her, the less input you have the better. let her find what suits her, whether you like the choice she has made or not. unless she picks something known to be problematic or has know problems, let her make her choice.

her chances of making a bad choice in a 9mm are very slim.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:35 AM   #28

Liked 385 Times on 304 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rn-cindy View Post
I know this is out of nowhere...but. Consider a .38/357 revolver with a 4.5 in barrel..at least have her shoot one.. They are tons of fun at the range, very accurate, no jams, simple to operate, easy to clean, just a pleasure to own and shoot. The .38 Spec is smoothe as butter, recoil feels good...Then if she wants to get a little crazy, you have the 357 option. If she starts to like guns, she will end up with 28 of them anyways, and the 357 revolver is a main staple in any arsenal.... Just something to consider....or not....
This isn't bad advice. I prefer semi-autos, so I don't love the thought. But there's nothing here that's patently untrue. A revolver can be a really great option.

Any semiauto can jam, if for no other reason than operator error alone. Most of the good ones probably won't. The dozen or so manufacturers I listed above are unlikely to fail for any reason other than being in the hands of a severely lacking shooter. And 'lacking' can be fixed rather quickly with a minimal amount of repetition and discipline (aka- training).

Buy a good gun from a reputable manufacturer. And let your wife pick one that feels right. Whether real or imagined, that margin of 'chosen fit' will likely benefit her success rate as well as her enjoyment level. (Most people will succeed at anything they truly enjoy, take pride in, or are determined to be good at)

Last edited by sweeper22; 07-09-2014 at 12:44 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-09-2014, 01:08 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

+1 for showing her what's out there, let her shoot any that she's interested in and let her decide for herself.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:17 AM   #30

Liked 3304 Times on 1663 Posts
Likes Given: 452

Read & heed:

http://www.corneredcat.com/article/for-the-men/what-gun-for-a-woman/
http://www.corneredcat.com/article/for-the-men/buying-a-gun-for-your-wife/

Quote:
Most modern pistols using quality ammo are reliable when properly maintained. Shhh, don't tell anyone I said this, but most pistols you're liable to end up with are pretty darned good. So don't get caught up in the brand warfare, get the one you like. Test drive a few, at some point one will stick out in your mind.
Ditto- misfires. Unless theres a mechanical problem, the rare misfire is usually an ammo problem.
It's a rare pistol thats hard to take down and clean anymore.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 07-09-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This