Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best 9mm to buy.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Best 9mm to buy.

Looking for a 9mm so the wife can shoot it. In your opinion, what's the best one to get??

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

The ones I shoot regularly are:

Glock 17, Sig 226, Glock 34, 1911 in 9mm, Beretta 92fs, Browning Hi Power & clones.

If you have access to a range that rents handguns, do so.

There are many others besides what I listed.

The search is half the fun.

Last edited by Gatoragn; 07-07-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Quentin Likes This 
Old 07-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5263 Times on 2743 Posts
Likes Given: 332

one that fits her hand and she likes.

let her pick it out.

my wife is a 9mm afficianado she loves the round and has a beretta m9, xdm 4.5, lc9, springfield 1911 range officer all in 9mm.

the berreta has the smoothest recoil the xdm fits smaller hands is good for sd the sa ro is just a stupid accurate target shooter.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

JTJ Likes This 
Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 122 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default What they said

Its like asking what's the best car to get...

best option...test drive. Find a range that lets you(her) try some handguns and she'll find the best fit. A lot of factors come in to play

Poly guns tend to be lighter
Cost - A Bersa 9mm will be half or less than a SIG

Many factors...

A baby Glock is a nice choice...Like the Glock 26 --nice thing is, while it comes with 10rd mags, it will also take other larger Glock mags

"All war must be just the killing of strangers against whom you feel no personal animosity; strangers whom, in other circumstances, you would help if you found them in trouble, and who would help you if you needed it" — Mark Twain

Old 07-07-2014, 09:48 PM   #5

Liked 941 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 925

Let her handle a lot of good 9mms (Gatoragn gave some good examples, no doubt you'll get more in this thread) and she'll tell which ones she likes best. It would be smart to rent and fire the ones she initially likes then she'll tell you which one she really wants.

Be sure to include full size, compact and subcompact models. For example, the mentioned full size Glock 17, also try the compact G19 and subcompact G26. Look at the S&W M&P9, Beretta, Walther and XDs. There are so many choices.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1159 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Be sure to include full size, compact and subcompact models. For example, the mentioned full size Glock 17, also try the compact G19 and subcompact G26. Look at the S&W M&P9, Beretta, Walther and XDs. There are so many choices.
If you can't find a 9mm to your wife's liking with all the choices available, you either don't want one or you are not looking very hard.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:59 PM   #7
Podcast Host/ American Patriot/DAV!
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2754 Times on 1896 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
If you can't find a 9mm to your wife's liking with all the choices available, you either don't want one or you are not looking very hard.

Or they are too picky

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

Dr. Bill(Dr.Football)
CWO-4 US ARMY Ret./Med.
Proud to be a Soldier, Proud to be a Night Stalker!
The 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment(S.O.A.R.) The Army's Taxi for Special Operators *NSDQ*

Old 07-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #8

Liked 734 Times on 416 Posts
Likes Given: 1160

Best advice is already on here...go shoot some, let her pick it out. But some things to think about and discuss in the meantime...Would she like an external safety..? How about a de-cocker..? She probably does not know what a "good trigger" feels like, so have her shoot striker fired, and hammer fired pistols..there is a difference...Is she left handed (an ambi mag release would be nice). The guys at my LGS say the ladies are just loving the Beretta PX4 Storm in 9mm for its features, ergonomics, and low recoil..give that one a try too. Make this about her, be patient, sometimes it takes us a while to make a decision....lol. You will have a shootin buddy for life......

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Last edited by rn-cindy; 07-07-2014 at 11:05 PM.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #9

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

Depends on her hand size. Grip is everything.

I'd think a 1911 far too wide for a typical female hand, they're tiny things in my experience, unless you've got an amazon.

An XDs in 9mm would probably be very good and it has a very nice trigger. Kahr 9mm, any.

I'd stay away from those disgusting poly pockets with horrific triggers, like Ruger LC9, KelTec PF9, etc, etc. The Kahr, XD and Glock are the only acceptable trigger on a poly gun afaic.

The Sig P938 is nice, not your typical oversized 1911. More like a midget 1911.

I personally do not, at all, like the ergonomics of 1911s. I've got long hands, but with standard grips and those horrific grip safeties they're just too wide and awkward to shoot comfortably or accurately, for me.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 407 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 130

why don't you let the wife figure it out for herself?

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member