Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best 25acp semi?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 285 Times on 247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post

That's fine, but especially with an auto past functioning doesn't guarantee it won't fail you in the future. You're starting at a disadvantage from the beginning. Autos fail very often, as a matter of fact too often. You aren't talking range test here. I've learned not to be a crash test dummy. If you wanna carry this particular gun then carry it, but you'll not feel too good if it fails you in a pinch. I've handled guns for over 50 years with almost 20 years in LE and have carried for well over 40 years now. If my opinion that this design is flawed means nothing then so be it and my feelings won't be hurt. After all, I'll never know if things go horribly bad for you. I can't say anymore than I already have. Hopefully you'll be lucky and best of luck to you.
I'm sorry Smoke, I didn't mean that to sound as though I'm not taking your experience, and advice based on that experience, under consideration, nor that I don't give it weight. I do, sincerely.

I'm merely trying to consider and compile all the info and user reports that I can and base a decision on the collective.

My research has turned up this: Most have touted the reliability of these Beretta gas operated firearms. The majority of negative reviews are based on the 22lr Bobcats and the first run of these Tomcats utilizing aluminum alloy instead of steel frame. Of these new Inox steel Tomcats the only reliability/jamming issues have come from limp wristing or bad magazines.

My conclusion, I beg you to understand, is that your experience may very well have been just the cartridge, or a redheaded stepchild. I don't mean that as an insult to your intellect or experience, Smoke, just a secluded instance in which perhaps a warranty fix could very well have been the solution.

If I do purchase this gun it will be as brand new. This the wonderful Beretta warranty will be behind me. First sign of issue will have me contacting them immediately.

I do truly appreciate your help here, Smoke. I've yet to make up my mind completely on this, so don't be too quick to assume folly in a decision yet to be made. I'm still weighing in all the data.

Thanks again, genuinely!

Old 01-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #22
hmh

Liked 140 Times on 96 Posts

I owned a tomcat stainless had an issue with the firing pin breaking called beretta and they sent me a new one (after convincing that installing it would not be a problem). Then came the recoil spring issue were the pressed part on the rod smoothed out called beretta and waited, called beretta and waited and after doing this for a year I had to get down right nasty and threaten. Miraculously the part that they couldn't get in stock showed up in a week. So I will not own another one.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
I owned a tomcat stainless had an issue with the firing pin breaking called beretta and they sent me a new one (after convincing that installing it would not be a problem). Then came the recoil spring issue were the pressed part on the rod smoothed out called beretta and waited, called beretta and waited and after doing this for a year I had to get down right nasty and threaten. Miraculously the part that they couldn't get in stock showed up in a week. So I will not own another one.
As far as recoil Springs goes, I'm fine with just heading to Ace Hardware. Done it before and worked out fine, will gladly do again. But I've heard opposing reviews on Beretta cs.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:53 AM   #24

Liked 477 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 228

I wouldn't take a differing opinion personally, cause if I did I wouldn't give it. I've known 2 others that had larger calibers with this design and both got rid of them. I love Berettas, especially the 92, but warranties are meaningless after a tragedy happens. No extractor can be suicidal if carried as your only SD. Backup may be something else, but not as your only weapon. This stuff is burned in my brain and I guess it'll be there for my last roundup. Anyway, no apology is necessary and I just hope things go your way. Be careful.

Old 01-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
I wouldn't take a differing opinion personally, cause if I did I wouldn't give it. I've known 2 others that had larger calibers with this design and both got rid of them. I love Berettas, especially the 92, but warranties are meaningless after a tragedy happens. No extractor can be suicidal if carried as your only SD. Backup may be something else, but not as your only weapon. This stuff is burned in my brain and I guess it'll be there for my last roundup. Anyway, no apology is necessary and I just hope things go your way. Be careful.
Well it would be my backup, but again, I'm going to keep on thinking about it.