Best 25acp semi?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Best 25acp semi?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default Best 25acp semi?

I'm confused as to people's recommendations on a 25 cal auto. Almost every single soul has said to go with the Beretta JetFire (for SAO), but have they actually owned one?

From my research, it appears to use the single most peculiar recoil spring(s) system I've ever seen. Near impossible to replace without Beretta involvement and if no longer produced... just how long does one expect to have access to them? Most ridiculous system I've ever seen.

And that absurd flip top barrel. I still fail to understand the hype surrounding it. Who cares? I mean really... How hard is it to Chamber a round from mag? Come on!

Am I being obtuse here? Am I missing something? Why would any intelligent person, expecting to KEEP a 25acp firearm, choose this handgun?

Now please think before posting. This isn't in the carry section, the question has nothing to do with caliber or protection. It's the gun itself.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #2

Liked 511 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 236

To make a long story short, those little Berettas just plain suck. I had a 21A and the only ammo that worked without having failures was the Federal high velocity. I realize that .22's are finicky, but just getting the case out of the barrel was annoying, but that was when I was lucky to have the round go off to begin with. Shooting it was like Russian roulette. At a range it may not matter, but being unable to eject rapidly, because there's no extractor and having to depend on blow back is a dumb design. It makes no difference whether .22, or .25, it all comes down to the same thing, they stink. I'd rather have an 95 year old 1908 Colt .25 any day of the week.

Last edited by gunsmoke11; 01-26-2013 at 09:27 AM.
blucoondawg Likes This 
Old 01-12-2013, 04:25 AM   #3

I almost let the gun snobbery convince me then I did my research and rose above it as usual and saw the light of day.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I almost let the gun snobbery convince me then I did my research and rose above it as usual and saw the light of day.
That shows you're smart and able to make up your own mind.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post

That shows you're smart and able to make up your own mind.
I'm thinking like the Colt a jr. Or Astra Cub 25. Same thing just Spanish. Tried one earlier but never heard from guy.

Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #6

I had the Jr and traded it for a 1911 in the early 80's. They are exc guns and the Astra was carried by many I worked with. It's the same gun and very well made. I even love the way they look and they're a nice size.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6541 Times on 3648 Posts
Likes Given: 6177

I have a Beretta 950 Jetfire, and I've carried it as a deep cover back up for years, it's been fired over 1k time and never failed. In my experience, it;s the best .25 made today.

The 21a DA/Sa whether in .25 or .22 is poorly designed, poor;ly executed and, IMHO, a POS.

but don't judge the 950 by the 21.

The design and execution of the 950 is truly superb.

And if you a true "Zen" experience, hand load a case of .25 ACP.

Believe me, it will clear your mind of other worries. You will need to put 200 percent concentration into what you're doing.

Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
I have a Beretta 950 Jetfire, and I've carried it as a deep cover back up for years, it's been fired over 1k time and never failed. In my experience, it;s the best .25 made today.

The 21a DA/Sa whether in .25 or .22 is poorly designed, poor;ly executed and, IMHO, a POS.

but don't judge the 950 by the 21.

The design and execution of the 950 is truly superb.

And if you a true "Zen" experience, hand load a case of .25 ACP.

Believe me, it will clear your mind of other worries. You will need to put 200 percent concentration into what you're doing.
My concern isn't about is reliability, it's in being able to get parts after they get worn out and fall, mostly the recoil Springs. They're unique and I've looked around already to see if I can get some stocked up, there are none anywhere. The Astra is a more traditional design with parts a plenty available. Nope I will not be doing the Beretta. Man I'm glad I looked further into it.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #9

The .22 is no where near as dependable as the .25 and I there's no disputing that fact, but the design is an accident waiting to happen. The Jetfire's design itself is flawed regardless what caliber it is. I sold my .25 Baby Browning, which I carried as a backup to my friend who worked undercover narcotics. A drug dealer tried to take him out and my .25 saved his life. I sold it cause it was too small for my hand and at times the damn safety would slide down too easily in my pocket, but I loved the gun and the safety was repaired by a gunsmith.

When a round FTF, or fails to eject I want to be able to pull back on the slide and clear it for the next shot as quickly as possible. Having to pick a shell out of the barrel, or poke a fired casing out from the bore with an object makes no sense if working under cover, or just needing it for SD. Depending on blowback to eject a shell casing when the weapon is your only one is not the best way to go to say it politely. On my job at least, that Jetfire would not have been allowed for carry.

Some people are born under a lucky star and things just seem to always go there way when the SHTF, but most of us live under Murphy's Law, which says that if something can go wrong it will go wrong. Just because many rounds have gone off without a hitch doesn't mean the next one will as well. But it will build a certain amount of confidence in that weapon, which is understandable. Better safe than sorry. The finest gun designs in the world can have misfunctions, so why start off with a disadvantage. That tip up barrel's only advantage is that the weapon can easily be checked to see if the chamber has a round in it. Not having an extractor is rediculous and no one can say so far what advantage the Jetfire's design would be compared to other autos. I'm more than willing to listen to someone else's argument and my mind is open to change.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5989 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

i just think there gets to be a point where too small is well... too small. and 25acp hits that mark square.

if you want one for nostalgia reasons go for it.

but i really hope your not considering a 25acp for actual personal defense. smallest i can honestly recommend is the 380acp. ruger makes a very fine pocket gun in the lcp for that cartridge.

the real issue of the 25 is its just such a small charge and such a light bullet the small guns really have a hard time cycling it. the slides and springs are really too heavy for it to function with any real reliability. i honestly think your better off with a 22lr if you cant handle a 380.

but like i said if your just collecting and range plinking go for it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...