Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Best 22lr ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/best-22lr-ammo-74175/)

BeyondTheBox 10-12-2012 02:48 AM

We all know rimfire isn't the most reliable form of firearm cartrige, but I'm curious what others have found to be the best, based on their experience.

I know some guns prefer some ammo that others wont fire, and visa versa, but is there a brand/type that seems to suit them all, or perform better on an overall basis? ...thus the point of my inquiry.

In three of the four 22lr guns I've had, CCI MiniMags have performed flawlessly. However, one doesn't seem to like anything CCI that I've tried (MiniMags & Blazer bulk). When presented in another thread here, someone suggested that this is because CCI tends to make harder to strike/ignite primers. I'm not so sure about that, but I can see the possibility of it with my aforementioned experience.

Anyway, I've yet to try anything else, but just picked up a box of Federal bulk to do so next outing. Hoping for better contact with the picky piece!! Wish me luck, am looking forward to the findings and experiences of others.

Thanks all!

HOSSFLY 10-12-2012 02:52 AM

Not real sure of the answer your looking for but IMO it a 22 wont work with CCI mini mags i'd shed it :confused:

BeyondTheBox 10-12-2012 03:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOSSFLY
Not real sure of the answer your looking for but IMO it a 22 wont work with CCI mini mags i'd shed it :confused:

I think I may have found out why my one gun wasn't performing well, and I don't believe it was due to the ammo, rather gunk build up in the firingpin canal and, especially, in the spring. Realized that this particular arm requires a dry firingpin assembly. The gape it comes through to strike the round is far too large and allows for much to much powder to enter it. That paired with the moisture of the lube causes sludge. I cleaned it pretty thoroughly today after firing and will test theory later with the Federal bulk and some more MiniMags, so we'll see.

Either way I'm still trying to see what others have found. You may be all for the MiniMags, but what have you seen overall? Do they perform best in one gun, or all, or some? What about other brands, have you tried? If so what did they do? I just want info because to this point I've only tried the CCI. Don't worry about telling me what I want to hear, I can compile and form an opinion based off what I read here on my own.

So, one vote for MiniMags then, hahaha!

Polygon 10-12-2012 05:41 AM

I have never seen someone say anything bad about the Mini Mags.

okdonk 10-12-2012 05:49 AM

I love the Federal Bulk from Walmart.

canebrake 10-12-2012 05:52 AM

< price = GOOD THING

If they don't work in your gun, get a better gun!

Centurian22 10-12-2012 06:22 AM

Another fan of mini-mags for an all purpose 'best' at a decent price. I look forward to trying fed bulk as I am a big fan of federal.

okdonk 10-12-2012 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Centurian22
Another fan of mini-mags for an all purpose 'best' at a decent price. I look forward to trying fed bulk as I am a big fan of federal.

In last 2 weeks i've been in n out of several Walmarts in Vegas. None of them have it in stock. $19.99 for $550 rounds.
But i found sportsmansguide.com has them, 500 rounds for $18ish. Ordered 5 boxes with free shipping.

BeyondTheBox 10-12-2012 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake
< price = GOOD THING

If they don't work in your gun, get a better gun!

Terrible excuse for rational thought process. If gun don't work in it figure out why and fix it. Jeesh!!!

HOSSFLY 10-12-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 974358)
Terrible excuse for rational thought process. If gun don't work in it figure out why and fix it. Jeesh!!!

Too much effort----
Getting a better gun is better :cool: