Bersa Thunder
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Bersa Thunder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Bersa Thunder

Well I decided I wanted to pick me up a smaller gun, something easier to carry and a smaller caliber then the other 2 I have. I only have between $250-$300 to spend and am limited to either a private seller in my area, or one dealer only as I don't have my FOID card yet and I have only found one dealer that will let me even hold a gun without it, and I refuse to buy a gun without being able to inspect it first hand and hold it to make sure it feels right in my hand and is something I'd be comfortable shooting. I called the dealer today and they said they do have a brand new Bersa Thunder .380 acp for only $280. I'm going tomorrow to look it over and to see if there's any other guns they have that I might like better and is in my price range. I have been searching online for private firearm sells in my area but haven't found anything that peaks my interest in my price range. What's everyone's opinion on the Bersa Thunder 380 and is there any other handgun that I should ask to see if they have in stock that may be in my range?

Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2011, 04:10 AM   #2

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

A lot of folks like the Bersa thunder, I've shot one, didn't fall in love but wasn't disappointed either. It functioned flawlessly, was nominally accurate for the platform, recoil was fine, capacity was what I expected from it (I think 7 round, but they make a hi cap model now)

Something I've been interested in is a Baikal Makarov. I found one for $240 about a year ago, ran to the ATM and it was gone by the time I got back to the pawn shop. Of course I have a bit of an affinity for Russian "junk". Some call it junk, I call it "works like it's supposed to". The makarov is a bit similar in size and style to the Bersa, PPK and FEG. But the makarov round is about dead center in power between a .380 and 9mil. (9millimeter= 9X19, Makarov=9X18, .380=9X17) and a Mak is capable of firing .380, although it's not recommended for reliability issues, and because of a miniscule difference in bore diameter between the .380 and Mak, it can cause some accelerated bore erosion, with of course a chance of possible catastrophic failure and personal injury.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5631 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Im fond of the bersas got 2 my wife has one. Ive got the 7+1 and 15+1 versions the wife has a 7+1. Never had trouble with them i find them easy to shoot and accurate.

Also got one of their thunder 22 it works great. Very good 22lr pocket gun.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-23-2011, 04:25 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have had one for about 13 years and have never had an issue with it. It is very concealable and shoots straight. Finding mags for it can be problematic though.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:39 AM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the bersa thunder 380 is a nice little pistol and IMO, well made and a decent pistol for the price. i bought one for the wife and she likes shooting it. the only downside to the pistol is the price of the ammo, but if going to a 380, regardless of maker, then you are stuck with the higher priced ammo, or start reloading.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

It is to my understanding that if you purchase a Bersa Thunder 380
before 2008 you stand a good chance of having a reliable gun.
However, since the inauguration of Obama there has been a demand
for the Argentinian make, so much so, that manufactorers were
turning out quantity rather than quality. They may have remedied
the situation of poor craftsmanship by now. I don't know. But for
myself I wouldn't buy it if it was made after 2008.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5631 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 371

All four of the bersa we have 3 380s and one 22 were made post 2008 and are more functional and reliable than the walther ppks i used to have. I dont think there is any real worry about qc. Bersa isnt taurus or kimber

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #8

Mine was bought after 2008 and works like a champ. One of the few small 380 pistols that is DA/SA and not DAO. The 9 round mags fit in it no problem and only cost $5 more than the 7 round mag. I like it so much I bought the 22 cal twin to cheap practice with.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I've had no problems with my CC .380, bought earlier this year. There have been reports of the Thunder being ammo picky during break-in, then shooting anything you load in it. If you get it, don't load up on one brand of ammo until you know it likes it. The most ammo complaints has been with Winchester White Box, presumably because of it's flat nose. Most common issues have been caused by the recoil spring being put on backwards when the owner first field stripped & reassembled, pulling the trigger while it was field stripped which causes the draw bar/disconnector to be dislocated, but easily put back in place & limp wristing because of the blow-back design.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha
It is to my understanding that if you purchase a Bersa Thunder 380
before 2008 you stand a good chance of having a reliable gun.
However, since the inauguration of Obama there has been a demand
for the Argentinian make, so much so, that manufactorers were
turning out quantity rather than quality. They may have remedied
the situation of poor craftsmanship by now. I don't know. But for
myself I wouldn't buy it if it was made after 2008.
Bunk. I've got 3 Bersas - BT 22, BT 380, and BT 9HC Pro - all manufacturered in 2010 and 2011 and all work flawlessly. These are awesome guns with a lifetime warranty and a great price.