Bersa Thunder 22 VS Taurus PT-22
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Bersa Thunder 22 VS Taurus PT-22

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Bersa Thunder 22 VS Taurus PT-22

The other day I was at a gun shop looking for a Bersa Thunder 22. Apparently they are few and far between, with most shops only ordering the 380 versions.
I was shown a Taurus PT 22, that was visually very appealing with a stainless body and Rosewood grips at a nominal price of about $250.

Returning home I went on line to see what others said about the gun. The consensus is that it is not as accurate as other guns of its size, and has feed issues depending on the selected ammunition. It is somewhat similar to the Beretta with the tip up barrel, and this apparently is the reason for its innaccuracy. When it is compared to the fixed barrel of the Bersa, the shot groupings are almost double the size at 25-50 feet.

The Taurus has a life time warranty as does the Bersa. The shop owner mention that he has returned several Taurus weapons for various repairs, and all were returned in excellent working order.

I have never shot either gun, nor have I handled a Bersa. I have read encouraging reports about the Bersa, and am wondering if the Taurus would be a worthy substitute? The difference in price is not changing my mind from the Bersa, it's the inavaibility of obtainig one. I want a gun that will offer a life time of enjoyable usage. The more accurate and reliabile the better.

Thanks all Gard

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

For an accurate & reliable .22 pistol - get a Ruger or a Buckmark. The PT 22 is a tiny "toy" and I'm not even sure what niche it was designed to fill...

Old 03-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/bersa-day-plus-sig-p220-39349/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f21/bersa-thunder-22-a-39173/

check those two threads for my in depth opinion of the bersa thunder 22. its my favorite 22 pistol. ive got 1500 rounds thru it now with the only problems being an occasional severely under powered bulk pack cartridge which likely wouldnt have cycled a gun that didnt have a recoil spring. in generelly it will cycle everything i stick in it. its not picky at all. it even feeds empty fired cases.

i highly recomend the thunder 22. its worth the wait in ordering one. i like it better than my ruger mk2 target gun. the ruger is very ammo picky.

ive also got a walther manhurin made ppks in 22lr and the bersa while not as pretty is a better functioning gun than the walther.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

I just bought a Bersa .22 for my wife. She carries a Walther PPKs .380, and the Bersa is virtually a mirror image of the Walther. She can build muscle memory much cheaper with the Bersa, and it's controls are virtually identical in function, and location. Win-win...

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-30-2011, 03:12 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
For an accurate & reliable .22 pistol - get a Ruger or a Buckmark. The PT 22 is a tiny "toy" and I'm not even sure what niche it was designed to fill...
I have three accurate and reliable 22 pistols, a Ruger, High Standard and Sterling. I'm specifically looking for a small "pocket pistol" that my daughter can learn with, and develop her familiarity with hand guns.

After reading your replies, I've pretty much eliminated the Taurus PT 22. I'm still looking at the Bersa and considering the Beretta 21a. The Beretta is the same cost as many pocket sized 380s. If this pistol weren't intended as a starter, I would choose one of the larger calibers.

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate your insight. Gard

Old 03-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
Jay

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post
I have three accurate and reliable 22 pistols, a Ruger, High Standard and Sterling. I'm specifically looking for a small "pocket pistol" that my daughter can learn with, and develop her familiarity with hand guns.

After reading your replies, I've pretty much eliminated the Taurus PT 22. I'm still looking at the Bersa and considering the Beretta 21a. The Beretta is the same cost as many pocket sized 380s. If this pistol weren't intended as a starter, I would choose one of the larger calibers.

A .22 is a wise starting point. After the basics are learned, THEN progress to larger calibers. Many new-to-shooting folks are seriously put off by someone starting them out shooting a larger caliber. Kinda like shoes, the first pair you had likely didn't have cleats/spikes on 'em.

Rugers, Buckmarks, and S%W's are all fine .22 handguns. I have some of each, but they're at a higher price point.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

My wife has 2 PPK/s.
One in .22lr, and one in .380ACP.

The .22 is one of the most accurate, fun to shoot, easy to take of handguns we have.
The fixed barrel is a plus in the accuracy area. The Bersa is the one I would pick between the two choices.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gard View Post

Pocket sized 22 she can learn on a Phoenix HP 22a. for $150. Very reliable and eats bulk 22 just fine.You can also get a 5 inch barrel for it to make it more accurate. If you have the money the Bersa can't be beat.

SSAA - Official Australian Shooter Reviews - .22LR target pistols

Last edited by group17; 03-30-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:42 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since I'm looking for a "keeper" gun that's accurate and reliable, the Firestorm Bersa Thunder 22 seems to be the best 22 pocket gun for my needs. The many pleased current owners, have convinced me that my first impressions were correct. Now if I can find a local dealer to order one.

Thanks all for your insight, and taking the time to post some helpful information. Gard

Old 03-31-2011, 02:54 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have no experience with the 22 Bersa but the 380 ones are pretty good.

However, the PT-22 is junk. I rarely make an outright bold statement but it is junk. My
GF had one and it always had at least two jams per magazine. We sent it for repair.

Then weapon came back and the little rubber whatever part in the front of the slide tore
off and the weapon would not work. Back to Taurus it went.

Third time the tip-up barrel would not stay locked and kept opening after being fired.
Finally, when it came back the fourth time it was traded toward a SIG mosquito (best decision ever).

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!