Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Bersa .380 or Makarov or CZ82 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5645 Times on 3319 Posts
Likes Given: 4756

Default Bersa .380 or Makarov or CZ82 ?

I'm planning to get a smaller pistol for carry. I haven't gotten my permit yet, but am not sure i will be needing one (MS = legal to carry in car w/o permit). I will also be looking for a pistol my sister can test drive as a potential replacement for her purse/dash titan .25 (gag).

I have wanted a CZ-82 for some time, but i'm not 100% as to why. I have heard they can be a lil heavy for pocket carry. I have read that the Makarov PM is basically a simpler predecessor to the CZ-82 with a bit easier take down but few other differences. I have read good things about the Bersa pistols in .380, but i don't know too much about the differences between those models. It is my understanding that Bersa has a single stack and a double stack model and an odd-looking model made just for carry.

I'm not looking for appreciation in value or collectability. I am just looking for the most dependable pocket pistol in the .380 range and with a metal frame. I am not considering a polymer pocket pistol at this point. "Bank for the buck"-type quality is probably the biggest factor in the decision. I will also be cruising the pawn shops for alternatives.

I am still looking for a well-priced CZ52, but that wouldn't be my choice for pocket carry.

Any suggestions re: penny-pincher pocket pistols, preferably in .380?

Thanks

Suggestions on where to purchase are also welcome. I do know a transfer-friendly local little gun shop.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Gello, I've had a couple of metal framed .380s including the Bersa, an NAA Guardian, a Sig P238, and Walther PPK & PPK/S. I still own the PPK and the Sig P238. The Bersa is a good reliable gun and the only real drawback is that mags are pricey. It's hard to call the Sig P238 a "budget" gun - but you get what you pay for. My old blued Walther is just so high on the cool scale...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I've had a Bersa Thunder 380 and I thought it was a great pistol. I've also had two CZ82's and they are excellent pistols, but they are definitely heavy for pocket carry. Of the two, the Bersa would be the better one for a pocket pistol.

I like the 9x18 Mak round for more oomph and Buffalo Bore makes an FMJ and a hollow point, both in +P.

The CZ grip is wider as well, but it will hold 12 + 1.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-18-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4472 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

I second the bersa. I've got the single and double stack versions. My wife loves the single. Its a smooth shooting very reliable pistol. I didn't go with the cz82 because I couldn't determine if it had a decock or not.

For such a light pistol the bersa shoots like it weighs twice as much.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the Bersa is great once you polish the feed ramp with a Dremel tool and swap out the grips. The plastic panels feel a little chintsy. But it's an accurate, dependable little pistol. I don't have any experience with the other two for comparison unfortunately.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
I think the Bersa is great once you polish the feed ramp with a Dremel tool and swap out the grips. The plastic panels feel a little chintsy. But it's an accurate, dependable little pistol. I don't have any experience with the other two for comparison unfortunately.
* Gibbs Head Slap *

For using the word Dremel in a gun post...

Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4472 Times on 2358 Posts
Likes Given: 255

My thunder plus came with wrap around rubber grips, they feel like hogues. I would put the plastic panels on the regular thunder in the same quality level as the ones you find on sigs. They aren't any cheaper ghan any other injection molded grip panels.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-18-2011, 10:26 PM   #8

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

"Bank for the buck"-type = Makarov IMO
It can be had in 380 but why would you want one when the 9x18 is more potent & about half the price

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-18-2011, 10:28 PM   #9

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

"Bank for the buck"-type = Makarov IMO
It can be had in 380 but why would you want one when the 9x18 is more potent & about half the price

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
* Gibbs Head Slap *

For using the word Dremel in a gun post...
Ah come on, variable speed, you can set the to about 100 RPM and with a cotton round tip, covered in jewelers rouge. Would I do that on a 1000.00+ 1911, no. Would I do that carefully on a 300.00 Bersa Thunder .380, yes. Done it before, came out perfect. Just have to use caution as with any other action when it comes to modifying your own firearm.