Bersa 380
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Bersa 380

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bersa 380

I recently purchased a BERSA 380 Thunder Semi Auto. It was being sold "as new," or barely used. I fired about 50 rounds through it and noticed with 3 or four rounds per clip that I was getting some sort of metal, powder, oil or other element in my face. It wasn't painful, just annoying. It felt like a few drops of salt being pounded into my face, esp. the chin area. I've experienced this with a .22 pistol as well. Does anyone know what this is? Maybe the answer is simple, and I'm dumb, but clue me in please! Thanks....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a new one on me. Did you clean and lubricate the pistol before test firing it? Could it have been lubricant splashing around? What ammunition were you shooting?

I run most of my semi autos pretty wet. Sometimes they'll spritz a little.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #3

If I had to make an educated guess I would assume it is because a majority of smaller caliber pistols (up to about .380) use a blowback action as opposed to a locked breech. This may be the reason you are able to feel a little of the gritty debris in your face.

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
-U.S. Army Training Notice

Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 AM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

How about move yourself back a little farther...

Old 02-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Give the pistol a really good cleaning (don't skimp on the Q-Tips), and take it back out to the range to see if it still does the same thing. Of course, make sure you have good quality eye protection (goes without saying).

If the sidearm still continues to dump stuff into your face, have a gunsmith look at it.

P.S. Do not over-lube your weapon. That can cause some good spash back during firing.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #6

I am shooting Wolf 95 gr with the Bersa. I did not clean it before I fired it, as it was fired before I bought it. It could have been excess lube inside from the previous owner I guess. I have not fired it since I cleaned it myself...

Old 02-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #7

Likes Given: 1

In case you are looking for more information try :: Bersa Talk :: In the tech section a gunsmith from Colorado Gun Works looks in there and answers problems.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 30 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default cheapo ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzztnr View Post
I am shooting Wolf 95 gr with the Bersa. I did not clean it before I fired it, as it was fired before I bought it. It could have been excess lube inside from the previous owner I guess. I have not fired it since I cleaned it myself...
It's the ammo Wolf is crap, especially with a blowback system that Bersa's use I've been shooting mine for a few months now and have used a lot of different ammo and they all do it to a certain degree but I have found Wolf is the worst. Here's mine [/IMG]