Beretta or Sig or Springfield? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta or Sig or Springfield?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazzmodicus

Let's be practical here. When you find yourself in a defensive situation, is that spiffy case or add-on goodies going to matter as much as what is in your hand at the moment? If you want to choose a kitchen blender based on what comes in the box then fine. But if it's something your life may be depending on, then the dollars and cents need to take a back seat to what fits your hand and allows you to be most accurate. So what if you have to save up longer and pay more $......shopping self-defense is not something that should be done while simultaneosly pinching pennies.

Having said that, I would highly reccomend the Sig 229 in. 357sig. As has been mentioned, it's a very accurate round with more than enough power to do whatever needs to be done with a handgun.

The form factor is smaller as it was developed as an answer to women entering into law enforcement that couldn't quite rap their hand around the somewhat larger grip and trigger-reach of the 226.

I have both and the 229 does feel better to my smaller hands, but I carry the 226 in 9mm for the 3 extra rounds I get in the deal, allong with the longer barrel.
Well, as I said I have both and I feel like reliability isn't a issue since both are well made handguns, the point I was making is that you get a little more money for what you will spend on the XDM. I wouldn't hesitate to pick either one up in a bad situation so I just thought I would give him something else to think about. The spiffy are, as you call it, isn't a joke either, it's a well made product so that just another plus. As I've said I own a Sig and have a Scorpion on the way, so I'm not dogging either one of them out.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #22

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Very good points have been made for all three, it's a shame I cannot view my choices at the same time which would make my decision easier. I still have questions I hope can be answered.

Beretta has a rotating barrel. Anyone know the reason behind this? What are the advantages/disadvantages of having a rotating barrel?

Sig has a unique trigger, or at least for me it's unique. Your first shot is SA with the rest being DA. Is this proprietary to Sig or does this occur with others? I know Glock is DAO from start to finish.

I like having a SA/DA, but I want a firearm that will give me either one on the first shot. Not quite sure if this will be a deal breaker. What are your thoughts about these?

Old 02-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #23

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

A rotating barrel allows for a lower bore axis. The possible disadvantage? In theory, it can add rotational torque to the recoil - I said "in theory" because I haven't found it to be a problem.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

It's all going to be preference. Police have the DAK because its supposed to be safer. A lot of Sig owners like it. Once you're used to it it's not that bad but it is weird if you're switching back and forth between guns. Try finding people around you that have these guns or go to a local range. We have one by us that allows us to rent guns and try them out.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #25

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

The PX4 rotary lock up barrel is basic to the Beretta Cougar, now Stoeger Cougar which I have. I really like the rotary lock up as it seems to tame down the barrel rise making for better on target follow up shots. Lots of good choices, shoot them all if you get a chance because a firearm that feels and works good for one person may be totally wrong for you.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #26
XsV

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemosabe View Post
Sig has a unique trigger, or at least for me it's unique. Your first shot is SA with the rest being DA. Is this proprietary to Sig or does this occur with others? I know Glock is DAO from start to finish.
There are other DAK handguns, and while more rare, it's not just a Sauer thing. However it's more common to have a handgun's trigger pull be DA on the first and SA on the rest.

"DAK-(for Double Action Kellerman, after the designer of the system). When firing the pistol the first trigger pull is only 6.5 lbf (compared to 12 lbf for the standard DAO). After the pistol fires and the trigger is released forward the trigger has an intermediate reset point that is approximately halfway to the trigger at rest position. The trigger pull from this intermediate reset point is 8.5 lbf. If the trigger is released all the way forward, this will engage the primary trigger reset and have a trigger pull of 6.5 lbf. To engage the intermediate reset the trigger must be held to the rear while the slide is cycled, either manually or by the recoil of a round being fired."

Old 02-03-2013, 05:32 AM   #27
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2005 View Post
Have you looked at any cz's. I have one and its by far of the best handguns I've ever shotb
Based upon the three you mentioned, I agree you should look at CZ's and consider looking at the FNX 9 or 45.

Again, best one is whatever fits your hand best, has the best trigger feel, and if you have the opportunity, the one that shoots best naturally. They are all great choices.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 PM   #28

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How bout the 1911 style choices? no change on sa/da.. always the same..I have three Sig's in that Mod. and love the trigger pull..all the same.
cocked, locked, loaded ready to go..
sig-001-small-.jpg

Old 02-04-2013, 07:00 PM   #29

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman55 View Post
How bout the 1911 style choices? no change on sa/da.. always the same..I have three Sig's in that Mod. and love the trigger pull..all the same.
cocked, locked, loaded ready to go..
Attachment 83344
Truth is 1911's have always been the one I wanted, I would have gone that route had 45 ACP ammo been available when I got my first CCW firearm. It was at the beginning of Obama's first term and the only ammo on the shelves was 40 S&W. I guess I could have gone to a Springfield EMP but the price would have been out of my spending range.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #30

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking
Truth is 1911's have always been the one I wanted, I would have gone that route had 45 ACP ammo been available when I got my first CCW firearm. It was at the beginning of Obama's first term and the only ammo on the shelves was 40 S&W. I guess I could have gone to a Springfield EMP but the price would have been out of my spending range.
There are plenty of 1911 pistols in calibers other than .45 -- in fact, there are quite a few in .40 as it is a popular choice for IPSC/USPSA Limited and Limited 10. It is also a fairly popular choice for many for concealed carry as you get an extra round or two in a single stack and a few extra rounds in a double stack high capacity 1911. If you want a lot of rounds a slightly modded Para P16 can hold 19+1 rounds of .40 with a 140mm limited division mag. The STI and SVI are also solid options if you have a bit of a budget.

STI available in .40:
http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-trojan/

STI tactical 4.0 in .40:
http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-tactical-ss-4/

STI Tactical 4.0 hi-cap .40:
http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-tactical-4-0/

You get the idea -- check out the websites for all the companies who make 1911s -- several make .40s that would make nice concealed carry pistols. There are even a few that aren't horrifically expensive.