Is a Beretta for me?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Is a Beretta for me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Is a Beretta for me?

Hey everyone, I am considering getting my first handgun. I hadn't planned to get one for awhile but the place where I got my license is selling their used training weapons and I was interested in possibly picking one up.

The ones they are selling are the Beretta 96D .40 S&W and 92FS 9mm. I was also considering a 90-Two 9mm.

I was wondering what advice or experience anyone has had with any of these and in particular what the maximum usage is before these guns hit their life's end. Obviously these are used guns, and since they were used by a company for training I imagine they saw relatively extensive use (I'm not sure how many rounds). I am a fan of the 1911, but right now Beretta's are in my mind, and a 40. is about as big as I think I should start off with for a first handgun.

What are the pros/cons of these, what kind of usage can they take before they are worn out, and what kind of price can a used one really get (so i don't get hosed). I am in canada, so we do have 10rd mag limits here if anyone wanted to say the 9mm is better because of larger mags.

Thanks all!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #2

I should add that up here there are far fewer gunshops in Can. than in the States, and gov regulation makes them more expensive. Just for comparison a new 92 FS is around $800 (I'm sure it can be found for less if you looked...) the used one that I mentioned is asking for $550.

SO, while this may sound pricey be aware that its somewhat normal.
Please consider those facts when offering price estimates.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Nothing at all wrong with the Beretta 92 family of guns. They are kind of large with a fat grip but if they fit your hand they are good reliable shooters. In my neck of the woods a used 92/96 in good shape with 2 mags is selling for about $375 - but guns are kind of cheap right now with the bad economy. Another thing that keeps the price down is they aren't a very good choice for concealed carry as they a large - so that limits them to the role of a range gun...

Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2961 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Do a lot of research on the wear of these and the availability of getting spare parts.

Check everything over and have someone show you how to take it apart and put back together for inspection.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips,

I assume these things have been pretty well used, that's my biggest concern now.

I also heard from down the grapevine that the 90-Two is being discontinued. Is it just the .40 S/W that's being taken off or the 9's also? If they are why? Defects, or parts shortages?

Old 09-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #6

I would inspect or try a 1911 or possibly a glock (17) if you don't mind plastic frames.

1911/Beretta 92FS/glock 17 are the most common autoloaders, and for good reason.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #7

92FS is my absolute favorite carry, yes it's huge but I just like the way it feels. It has a laser on it, but it costs a little extra. The current holster is a black Galco holster.

open-slide.jpg   laser-sight.jpg   holster.jpg  

Old 09-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #8
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 257 Posts

You are the only one who knows for sure. Try out a few others and then you will have some other options to look at. You never know til you give them a shot. I couldn't tell you what to buy.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #9

Liked 698 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 1101

I purchased a used M9 A1 a couple of weeks ago. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites. My next purchase might be a 96. If I can find a used one.

Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #10

I know what you mean. A bit heavy and huge but she is a thing of beauty. One of the most beautiful mass-produced items in the world I'd say. The 90-2 is a bit slimmer in case you ever wanted to try it. Supposed to be the same gun but perfected. As for carry, its pretty hard to get a carry license where I live, actually its pretty well impossible and even if you do get one, it has restrictions - so I can't really "carry" it anywhere. Range use is the most I'll get out of it, besides possibly home defense - but even that gets complicated up here.

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association