Beretta FS 92 SS 9MM
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta FS 92 SS 9MM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Beretta FS 92 SS 9MM

Purchased original handgun, took it out, tried to hit target at various distances. The gun shot low and to the left, absolutely no sort of a pattern, and off the target. Had gun replaced, second one also shot low and to the left, but did have a good grouping (used a wider target to see what it was doing. Am sending the second one back, hoping that 1 out of 3 will place the bullets where they should be.....on the target and where I am aiming it. I do not recommend this handgun. Have an older Beretta, black, that shot beautifully right out of the box. The Beretta does not have adjustable sights, so one can't compensate for its shooting to one side or the other. Has Beretta lost its "quality control"? Will keep sending each one, that doesn't shoot right, right back to the place we got it, until we get one that does. Paying, $600.00, or better, and the manufacturer asking that price, for a weapon that can't come near the target, is ridiculous. Don't make the same mistake we did.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2008, 01:20 AM   #2

are you right handed? you are probably pushing on the trigger causing the round to impact left of point of aim. the rounds may be grouping low because you are anticipating recoil. i'm not a fan of berreta but they are quality firearms. try loading a 2 or three rounds in a revolver, spin the cylinder and close it without looking at where the rounds are. attempt to shoot at a target, you should be able to see if you are anticipating the shot. it's a common problem that is easily resolved by conducting this drill.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:13 AM   #3

I would say that is classic textbook anticipation as well. Not to criticize but even poor quality control wouldn't allow two guns to the same person that shoot completely off the target. Just weighing the odds here.

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Old 06-24-2008, 06:50 AM   #4

Yes, the previous replies are correct. I know that it is difficult for a shooter to accept that he is the source of the problem, but that is surely the case.

Actually, three things are happening. You are not concentrating sufficiently on the front sight. You are anticipating the shot, and you are not exercising proper trigger control. This results in a FLINCH. Any handgun you shoot will shoot low and left until you confront and overcome the problem.

The easiest way to overcome the problem is to purchase some dummy (inert) rounds and when you load the magazine, load in a few of the dummy rounds but don't let yourself know where they are. When you hit the first dummy round you will see your flinch. Start telling yourself that the next round in the chamber is one of the dummies. You never flinch when you think the gun is unloaded. You can wean yourself from the dummies as soon as you are keeping all your shots in the bull.

Last edited by Moses; 06-24-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #5

I went through the exact same thing with my 96 "40 cal."

It's you... Sorry to be blunt, but it's the truth. I have no shame admitting it, and you shouldn't either. Just correct it.

Try a firmer grip; also parallax may be an issue "bead sight moves, if your head moves, etc." You want your sights clear, and your target a little fuzzy.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #6

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Well, he does say that he has another that shoots well.

Before saying it's him, I'd recommend having another person try it.

Josh <><

Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
Well, he does say that he has another that shoots well.

Before saying it's him, I'd recommend having another person try it.

Josh <><
I am confident it's him... I went through the same thing.

I am assuming the weapon he fired before had less recoil.

A friend of mine fired my 96 with no problems; I also fired his .380, and I had no problem hitting on target. His .380 had much less recoil than my 96.

I mean no disrepect to the guy; I'm just offering my advice on how to correct the problem. I was in his shoes at one point, just passing on the same info that was passed on to me.

Mossberd 500...

Beretta 96...

Smith & Wesson M&P15T...

Old 07-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #8

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

I mean no disrespect for you Sir. I only suggest that it may actually be the gun because he states that

Quote:
Have an older Beretta, black, that shot beautifully right out of the box.
It's for that reason and no other that I suggest another shooter take a crack at it.

Josh <><

Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 AM   #9

Default Beretta

I bought that piece of crap back in the HI CAPACITY craze mine did the same thing, after I unloaded a full magazine it looked like someone shot my target with a shot gun!!! I never seen anything like it, I bought mine for 700.00 and the a$$ hole I bought it from was good enough to buy it back for 500.00 I was so pi$$ed at him I could have shot him, but I probably would have missed!!!

If you run your just going to die tired!!!

Old 07-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #10

Default re-spring it

Berrettas are one of the weirder guns on the market I own a 92 FS and have repaired a number of 92s in all kinds of configurations. Shooting low and sloppy is a common problem with the 92. The barrel locks at the rear only and getting one to group better is just a matter of putting in a 1.5 to 2 lb over pressure recoil spring. The greater pressure of the recoil spring does wonders on how the system locks up. A weak recoil spring allows the barrel to torque all over the place when fired thus the crappy groups. Never assume that the springs are up to par in a new gun. Most gun designs are sound but bad springs will mess up your day with one very quick like.

It won't make a 92 a target gun but it will bring them to about 3 inch groups at 25 with almost any ammo.

Just my nickels worth of noise. Feel free to ignore it.

npbwbass

Just because you don't believe in something is not going to stop it from happening.