Beretta 96 or Para GI expert?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta 96 or Para GI expert?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Beretta 96 or Para GI expert?

I'm getting a pistol finally and it is down to these two. I've owned a beretta 96 and know how to maintain it. I really want a .45 though and Para had caught my eye. I already know about FTF and FTE issues as well as crappy factory mags and feed railrail needing a polishing and then there's the extractor thy usually needs replacing. I'm fine with replacing those things and some minor gun smithing. Suggestions?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #2

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

I wouldn't think any reputable 1911 makers would need all the work you mentioned out of the box. And even if that was true about para there's plenty of 1911 manufacturers in that price range that are great.

Oh yes I'm a 1911 convert so if have to say go with a 1911,you won't regret it,para or not.

Do your research and pick up the 1911 you decide on and then go shoot it,if it acts right (which it should) then don't fix what ain't broke.

Also until you get up into the higher end production 1911's the next stop home with your new 1911 historically is to buy some wilson or tripp mags and throw the factory ones in the garbage.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2962 Times on 1708 Posts
Likes Given: 1272

Everyone should try the 1911.
The question of Beretta 96 or 1911 could fall in the category of "Chev vs Ford".

The 1911 works better for me than the 96.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #4

Liked 181 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 129

I have a relativly new para gi expert and it doesnt suffer from any of the problems you mentioned. Its had around 1000rds thru it and other than 3-4 failures to go completely into battery while cycling when it was new I havent had any issues with it. The magazines work fine in my para and in my brothers ruger. His ruger mags work good in my para but they do have a little play in them. The accuracy of my para is top notch. Its a very good 1911 and if you want to do some upgrades its a good platform for doing so.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #5

Cool thank you everyone I believe I will go with the 1911 since I've never owned a .45 before. I'll try something new.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #6

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Get the para with 3 dot sights

Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiabe1
Get the para with 3 dot sights
Sounds good. Gonna get some nice grips too.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I know you already decided but to help reinforce your decision. I just bought a Para Ordinance 1911 Expert It's not the GI version it has the dove tail which is one feature I wanted. It's a great gun. The reason I wanted a 1911 is that there are tuns of parts for them and they have been made for ever so there are plenty of them around. Not saying there will be but in a SHTF situation you shouldn't have too much trouble finding parts for them.

I also have a baby eagle which is sort of like the 92 probably very different but take similar magazines I modified a couple beretta magazines to fit my baby eagle. The only thing that is an issue with the baby eagle. Finding parts is not very easy. They are not impossible but not abundant.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #9

Liked 67 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho1911u22 View Post
I know you already decided but to help reinforce your decision. I just bought a Para Ordinance 1911 Expert It's not the GI version it has the dove tail which is one feature I wanted. It's a great gun. The reason I wanted a 1911 is that there are tuns of parts for them and they have been made for ever so there are plenty of them around. Not saying there will be but in a SHTF situation you shouldn't have too much trouble finding parts for them.

I also have a baby eagle which is sort of like the 92 probably very different but take similar magazines I modified a couple beretta magazines to fit my baby eagle. The only thing that is an issue with the baby eagle. Finding parts is not very easy. They are not impossible but not abundant.
How did you mod your mags for the baby eagle i would love to see pictures

Old 03-09-2013, 01:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho1911u22

I'll have to look at the expert vs. GI expert, is dovetail main difference? I imagine finish is different as well but I'll check Para's website. It has been in the process of being updated for the past few months and tricky to navigate unless you go straight to pro shop.