Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta 96

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Beretta 96

I'm looking at getting the Beretta 96A1 but haven't had the chance to really get ahold of one to shoot. Anything I should know about it before I spend the money?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #2

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I got one last year, they are a nice gun haven't had any problems though I haven't shot it a ton. The only down side to the A1 is the holster companies haven't all caught up to it though last time I looked they are starting to have more selection.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 02-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #3

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Think about what you're gonna use it for. It can be concealed, but its not a concealment weapon. I conceal a full size 1911, so I know it can be done.

It's big for a 9, even with that capacity. Huge, fat grip. I have small hands for a big man, and had trouble holding onto it on the range. Not so with my carry gun, even though it's a .45 and packs a bit more punch than a 9. It also has a higher bore axis, contributing to muzzle flip.

Do you like the DA/SA trigger? I don't. Many do. To each their own. I prefer the same trigger pull each and every time, so either a DAO or striker fired, or SAO pistols for me.

All in all, it's a fine gun. I personally think they're slightly over priced, but just barely. They work. I was issued one in the Marines. Even though I felt I had trouble holding onto it, and the USMC gave us the crappiest ammo in the world, I still qualified expert.

It hits where you aim, the ergonomics aren't bad if you have the hands to hold it (has a nice shape and contours to the grip), breakdown and cleaning is very simple and straight forward. Reliable. I also had trouble with my retention holster pinching the rear of the slide and disengaging the safety, bit I considered that more of a holster problem.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5241 Times on 2733 Posts
Likes Given: 329

The biggest negative is its chambered in 40 short and weak. That ammo is non existant atm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #5

Liked 205 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Think about what you're gonna use it for. It can be concealed, but its not a concealment weapon. I conceal a full size 1911, so I know it can be done.

It's big for a 9, even with that capacity. Huge, fat grip. I have small hands for a big man, and had trouble holding onto it on the range. Not so with my carry gun, even though it's a .45 and packs a bit more punch than a 9. It also has a higher bore axis, contributing to muzzle flip.

Do you like the DA/SA trigger? I don't. Many do. To each their own. I prefer the same trigger pull each and every time, so either a DAO or striker fired, or SAO pistols for me.

All in all, it's a fine gun. I personally think they're slightly over priced, but just barely. They work. I was issued one in the Marines. Even though I felt I had trouble holding onto it, and the USMC gave us the crappiest ammo in the world, I still qualified expert.

It hits where you aim, the ergonomics aren't bad if you have the hands to hold it (has a nice shape and contours to the grip), breakdown and cleaning is very simple and straight forward. Reliable. I also had trouble with my retention holster pinching the rear of the slide and disengaging the safety, bit I considered that more of a holster problem.
The 96 line is a 40 not a 9mm, you were probably issued the M9 in the military not the 96, though I am just guessing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
The biggest negative is its chambered in 40 short and weak. That ammo is non existant atm.
Why do you call it short and weak? It's stronger than 9mm, which in my area is also nonexistant along with pretty much all handgun shells and popular rifle.

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 PM   #6

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post

The 96 line is a 40 not a 9mm, you were probably issued the M9 in the military not the 96, though I am just guessing.
Your right. It's still the same design though.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #7

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts

Just a thought for you. I just got a 9mm 92fs and love it.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #8

From what I've looked up the 96A1 comes in either a 17+1 9mm or a 14+1 .40 caliber. I'm looking at it as an open carry/service weapon. I'm currently carrying a S&W Sigma but my Taurus 709 beats my Signa every time.