Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Beretta 96 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/beretta-96-a-84621/)

Warsaurus 02-19-2013 09:48 PM

Beretta 96

I'm looking at getting the Beretta 96A1 but haven't had the chance to really get ahold of one to shoot. Anything I should know about it before I spend the money?

blucoondawg 02-19-2013 10:05 PM

I got one last year, they are a nice gun haven't had any problems though I haven't shot it a ton. The only down side to the A1 is the holster companies haven't all caught up to it though last time I looked they are starting to have more selection.

trip286 02-19-2013 10:07 PM

Think about what you're gonna use it for. It can be concealed, but its not a concealment weapon. I conceal a full size 1911, so I know it can be done.

It's big for a 9, even with that capacity. Huge, fat grip. I have small hands for a big man, and had trouble holding onto it on the range. Not so with my carry gun, even though it's a .45 and packs a bit more punch than a 9. It also has a higher bore axis, contributing to muzzle flip.

Do you like the DA/SA trigger? I don't. Many do. To each their own. I prefer the same trigger pull each and every time, so either a DAO or striker fired, or SAO pistols for me.

All in all, it's a fine gun. I personally think they're slightly over priced, but just barely. They work. I was issued one in the Marines. Even though I felt I had trouble holding onto it, and the USMC gave us the crappiest ammo in the world, I still qualified expert.

It hits where you aim, the ergonomics aren't bad if you have the hands to hold it (has a nice shape and contours to the grip), breakdown and cleaning is very simple and straight forward. Reliable. I also had trouble with my retention holster pinching the rear of the slide and disengaging the safety, bit I considered that more of a holster problem.

JonM 02-19-2013 10:20 PM

The biggest negative is its chambered in 40 short and weak. That ammo is non existant atm.

blucoondawg 02-19-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 1144588)
Think about what you're gonna use it for. It can be concealed, but its not a concealment weapon. I conceal a full size 1911, so I know it can be done.

It's big for a 9, even with that capacity. Huge, fat grip. I have small hands for a big man, and had trouble holding onto it on the range. Not so with my carry gun, even though it's a .45 and packs a bit more punch than a 9. It also has a higher bore axis, contributing to muzzle flip.

Do you like the DA/SA trigger? I don't. Many do. To each their own. I prefer the same trigger pull each and every time, so either a DAO or striker fired, or SAO pistols for me.

All in all, it's a fine gun. I personally think they're slightly over priced, but just barely. They work. I was issued one in the Marines. Even though I felt I had trouble holding onto it, and the USMC gave us the crappiest ammo in the world, I still qualified expert.

It hits where you aim, the ergonomics aren't bad if you have the hands to hold it (has a nice shape and contours to the grip), breakdown and cleaning is very simple and straight forward. Reliable. I also had trouble with my retention holster pinching the rear of the slide and disengaging the safety, bit I considered that more of a holster problem.

The 96 line is a 40 not a 9mm, you were probably issued the M9 in the military not the 96, though I am just guessing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1144605)
The biggest negative is its chambered in 40 short and weak. That ammo is non existant atm.

Why do you call it short and weak? It's stronger than 9mm, which in my area is also nonexistant along with pretty much all handgun shells and popular rifle.

trip286 02-19-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucoondawg (Post 1144685)

The 96 line is a 40 not a 9mm, you were probably issued the M9 in the military not the 96, though I am just guessing.

Your right. It's still the same design though.

dalefan88 02-20-2013 12:02 AM

Just a thought for you. I just got a 9mm 92fs and love it.

Warsaurus 02-20-2013 01:42 AM

From what I've looked up the 96A1 comes in either a 17+1 9mm or a 14+1 .40 caliber. I'm looking at it as an open carry/service weapon. I'm currently carrying a S&W Sigma but my Taurus 709 beats my Signa every time.