Beretta 92FS - Opinions? Warnings? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta 92FS - Opinions? Warnings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Although I think the Beretta is a good pistol for what it is and better than the Taurus, I would not recommend buying the first thing you shoot. There are many fine handguns out there and you should try as many as possible before deciding on what's right for you.

The first thing is to consider is how the handgun will be used. Will it be a range toy, for concealed carry, home defense, car gun, etc. Deciding this can eliminate many choices. Borrow as many handguns as possible to try out. Some ranges rent handguns and may make a package deal to try numerous stock guns, especially if you are buying the ammunition from them.

Of course if this is just the first handgun purchase of many and you have unlimited funds, fill up the safe and have a good time doing it.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #12

The Bererra 92FS is a great gun but if you want a superb 9mm buy a Beretta Beretta Px4 Storm. It is my favorite gun (.40 cal) Shoot one and you will know why I recommended it to you.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #13

I just bought a 92fs, imported. Great if you have at least some experience; don't think it should be the first you buy. Accuracy is off if you've never competed; requires some training. In NY, glock 17,18 are favorties only because they're NYPD issue.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1135 Times on 796 Posts
Likes Given: 1155

If you're sure the 92 is for you, then the Taurus would be a good choice and would save you some money. May not be as refined as the Berreta but good enough for a military style 9mm and will be reliable.

Personally I don't care for the ergonomics of the 92 but a friend loves his. Recently out at the range we had a 92, another guy brought his Ruger P89 and I brought my FM Hi-Power. Everyone like the feel of the HP and the way it functioned. Of course you rarely say something bad about someone else's stuff but I knew I had the better gun. Pretty sure they knew it too.

Of course if you can't go with single action semiauto or can't find a good deal on a HP then there are lots of choices on DA autos out there. I'd look at as many as I could, you may find something that you just KNOW is right for you. No need to jump on anything right away or what one person recommends. Heck you might be the one person in the universe who doesn't like the feel of a Hi-Power!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #15

Liked 1434 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I think the Beretta 92 is ugly as a redheaded step-child!

But then I'm a 1911 fan-boy so I hold a grudge!

And then there's the trigger and fan-boy goes out the window and intelligence and common sense comes to light.

If 9 mike mike is the choice, three words;

Browning Hi Power;

Twice the weapon of the B92!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 06-04-2010, 11:37 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1135 Times on 796 Posts
Likes Given: 1155

So glad the Hi-Power is still spoken of highly here. It's dying off in this DA world but the people who've used them or own them will never forget. No doubt there are very good choices in the more recent offerings but they are not superior to the P-35.

Funny too, the P-38 was supposedly an upgrade to the P-35 Hi-Power and the 92FS is a rehashing of the P-38 but neither incorporated the things that make the HP so great, well other than the double stack magazine that they borrowed.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:38 AM   #17

Liked 780 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

Who you callin' ugly.....

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 06-05-2010, 03:45 AM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

And then there's the trigger and fan-boy goes out the window and intelligence and common sense comes to light.

If 9 mike mike is the choice, three words;

Browning Hi Power;

I have to try one those.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 06-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #19

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biohazurd View Post
In my opinion the Cz-75B is one of the best built and comfortable 9mm in existance. Every single person who has shot mine has said very favorable things about it as well.

But the Beretta is a fine handgun as well. If it feels more comfortable to you then buy that huge 9mm ASAP...
I carried a 92 in the Army, there's nothing wrong with them. Considered buying one but passed it over for a CZ75B and am glad I did.

I will have a 92 in the collection, "eventually", because again, it is a fine handgun and has the history of it's military use.

TACK

Old 06-05-2010, 03:59 AM   #20

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 4

DOD just ordered 400,000 of them. They will be around a while!