Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta 92FS? Good buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Beretta 92FS? Good buy?

Found a Beretta 92FS at a local gun shop, used with tritium night sights for $650. good buy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2011, 01:58 PM   #2

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Depends

It depends on how much you value the tritium sites. MSRP for a Factory New 92FS is $650.

So, are the tritium sites worth the "difference" between the used gun and a new gun.

And that's based on MSRP.

A Factory New 92FS (without Tritium) can be had for $536 (shipped) through budsgunshop.com. (Factor in ~$25 for an FFL transfer - But offset that by the fact that you won't be paying sales tax).

Bud's also has used 92FS starting at $439.

Also, how "used" is the used gun you're looking at?

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 06-19-2011 at 02:03 PM.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #3

Not that used. Was very clean. No scratches or overly worn burn marks on barrel and firing pin.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #4

considering the tritium sights are $125 aftermarket. Also, buying online? It is legal for a dealer to ship directly to me?

Old 06-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Supporting the local gun shop is a good thing. I've always felt that if any legislation came up that would jeopardize the 2A in my state, the local gun shops would be the ones that would be on our side.

By the time you factor in FFL transfer fees, background check and shipping, it's not a bad price depending on the condition of the gun and sights.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bontrager92fs View Post
considering the tritium sights are $125 aftermarket. Also, buying online? It is legal for a dealer to ship directly to me?
Nope. Buds will send it to your local dealer where you pick it up like any other firearm.

I love supporting the local guys. It would kind of be a kick in the ass if you have the exact same gun shipped to him for a transfer when he already has it in the case. Try talking him down - most dealers are willing to knock off a little, especially if you buy something else like a couple boxes of ammo or a holster to go with it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 06-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #7

Thank you guys for the advice. Just trying to make a decision whether or not to pass this up or not. I will buy a Beretta. That is for certain. What i dont want is to buy one new and want to put the sights on, new, and so forth. I can hear the change rackin. I feel like this is already here and now and packaged the way i want.

Yet, Im hesitant because I know I can get new cheaper and it is used. I will go over there again and re examine this fine piece of metal. I didnt really examine to much because i was just window shopping yesterday. Wanted to get some opinions and give myself a little time. But as time went on all throughout work last night. All i could think of was this beauty with tritium night sights.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #8

Just to be clear. I wasn't necessarily saying to buy (or not buy) from Bud's. I was using it as a trusted low-price-point online source.

(I'm going through the same process as the OP right now.)

Assuming that you use the $440 (used - Higher by 3% if you use a credit card) price, plus $25 FFL, plus $125 tritium, plus $40 install (total ballpark - I have no actual idea), you get a total around $630.

The LGS woudl be around $690 - $700 w/tax and a background check

For your $50 - $70, you don't get to handle the gun and you don't have the convenience of having bought it locally (in case there are issues).

If I were in your situation, I'd buy from the LGS, but I'd still try to bring him down. I'd be shooting for $650 out-the-door (includes tax and background check).

That was also why I asked about the condition of the gun and the importance of the night sights. Personally, the night sights aren't something I'm shopping for, so the added cost of the night sights would be a deterent when compared to available guns without the night sights.

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 06-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #9

Oh and I just noticed your "name". Sounds like you already made up your mind!

GOA

Old 06-19-2011, 07:11 PM   #10

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

$650 for a 92FS used? Its your money but that sounds about $100 too high. I bought a 92 police edition with NS and 3 factory mags for $640 at a LGS 2 years ago. See if he'll take $525 or so for it...else Buds or Impact would be happy to sell you a NIB for the price of the used one.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington