Beretta 92FS FTF,FTF.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta 92FS FTF,FTF.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Beretta 92FS FTF,FTF.

Hey my buddy bought a new Beretta 92FS about a year ago. Long story short he moved it hung around in storage for about a year. We finally took it out to shoot for the first time.
We had about 200 rounds to fire through it. 2 boxes of federal, 2 boxes of Remington umc.

Well basically the gun started out strong, but 40 rounds in it started to fail to eject the shells. Then it started to fail to feed the next shell. Then after about 150 rounds... it started to fire one round then not cycle the next, causing us to manually rack the slide.

Any thoughts?

ps. We were using two factory magazines, both had the problems.

If you outlaw guns then only outlaws have guns.

Last edited by PowerViolence; 09-27-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-27-2012, 03:34 AM   #2

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Man, I don't know. I suppose you could still attribute it to new pistol break-in, but not sure with the first 50 being ok and it going downhill from there. I assume you took it apart, cleaned it, and oiled it well before firing it. Sounds like mag problems anyway. That's a pretty popular pistol, so I would recommend borrowing a mag from someone else (a known good mag) and trying that. I would bet my father-in-law's bottom dollar that sorts it out. Not MY bottom dollar, but his...

Old 09-27-2012, 03:39 AM   #3

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

IneverFTF so i cant help

It does sound like a mag problem. Buy some better newer mags and your problem should go away.
It might be an extractor issue but with the other problems it's probably just bad mags.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:43 AM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerViolence View Post
Hey my buddy bought a new Beretta 92FS about a year ago. Long story short he moved it hung around in storage for about a year. We finally took it out to shoot for the first time.
We had about 200 rounds to fire through it. 2 boxes of federal, 2 boxes of Remington umc.

Well basically the gun started out strong, but 40 rounds in it started to fail to eject the shells. Then it started to fail to feed the next shell. Then after about 150 rounds... it started to fire one round then not cycle the next, causing us to manually rack the slide.

Any thoughts?

ps. We were using two factory magazines, both had the problems.
did you clean it first? Any gun that has been sitting around for a year needs a good clean and lube before use, especially a new Beretta. My 92 had enough grease and oil in it to make a salad, after a year I imagine it'll begin to gum up.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #5

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Was the ammo a year old, was it too exposed to year of storage conditions?

Old 09-27-2012, 10:21 PM   #6

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Like Jpyle said, clean the pistol. I bet after a good cleaning it'll run like a champ.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3099 Times on 1553 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
did you clean it first? Any gun that has been sitting around for a year needs a good clean and lube before use, especially a new Beretta. My 92 had enough grease and oil in it to make a salad, after a year I imagine it'll begin to gum up.
+1

I would add that the mags should be pulled apart and cleaned as well. My CX4 was pretty gooey to include the mags. Nearly as bad as CZ.
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1177 Times on 767 Posts
Likes Given: 710

my first thought was a year in storage? i wonder how much dust it collectec in the packing grease... i suggest giving it a thorough cleaning and then one more range trip to verify it wasnt just sirt and buildup. if after this range trip you still have problems it could be a mag, or ejector issue. at this point try a different mag. if you still have problems contact beretta. they may be able to service it.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 PM   #9

Liked 2606 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Word has it a while back rejected mags from the military

were being passed on to civilians. Try some new mags.

Don't forget to dis-assemble, clean and lightly lube the mags.

If all else fails, contact the American factory in Accokeek, Maryland.

I think I speak for most here when I say - thousands of rounds, all types

of ammo, more than one 92, never one FTE or FTF...

Last edited by therewolf; 09-27-2012 at 11:38 PM.