Beretta 92fs
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta 92fs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Beretta 92fs

American or Italian? I'm the kind of person that believes in buy american the most you can in everything you can. But, with the 92 I can't decide whether to buy American or buy Italian. Any thoughts?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Italian. Why would you buy and American version if you can get an Italian?

Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5676 Times on 2963 Posts
Likes Given: 375

they are both italian

just cuz the factory is here the gun is still an italian thing.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

Liked 2194 Times on 1292 Posts
Likes Given: 475

The Maryland version in the past has strayed form the Italian specs, from time to time. I have an older Italian version I bought in the early 90s and love it. I've carried the American made versions when deployed. They shoot about the same, but for a collection, the Italian ones will still carry a bit of a premium as far as holding value.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5730 Times on 3242 Posts
Likes Given: 5167

I have an Italian, an early version from the 80s, but I would trust either one with my life. Unless you're a collector, it doesn't make any difference.

Winston Churchill

Old 08-06-2012, 09:09 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

They are the same... At 1 point, Italian ones were more sought after. But, a few years ago, Beretta USA couldn't keep up with the latest order of M9s AND make commercial models... So, Italy picked up the slack...

Then, all those years of people settling for used 92s, just so they could get an Italian one disappeared. For a while, you could ONLY find Italian made ones...

Now, you can find either version. The difference in the texture and appearance of the black finish has also gone away. Now, they look the same...

Ex Beretta employees have claimed that the quality control is better on US made ones, and that the tolerances on USA made ones are tighter... I can't say...

I will say that I prefer the USA made ones, for a standard 92... All those years of only having USA made ones in the 1990s... I just prefer the slide markings...

Now, certain models like the 92 compact, 92A1 and 90-Two are ONLY Italian made. And, the M9 and M9A1 are ONLY USA made.

Only 1 real difference between USA and Italian made ones... Italian made ones have a pain in the butt roll pin holding the lanyard loop. The USA made ones have a pin that can easily be removed. If you want to change out the hammer spring to a "D" spring - order a USA style pin too. Makes replacement MUCH easier (than that roll pin which takes a beating to get out)

Old 08-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #7

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

I've got an old 92FS beater from Maryland, and a M9A1.

They've both performed flawlessly, even shooting Tula

steel ammo with nary a hiccup. I can't honestly say the Italian

92s aren't better, having had no experience with them,

but I would have to be shown how...

Old 08-07-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 233 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 499

I was in the same boat ast year between the two. The only big differance between the two is the U.S. made version has a straight dust cover and the Itiallian made one has a tappered dust cover. But that is about it. I went with the Itiallian one myself, because the one st he gunsop had the Itiallians had better looking crowns on the barrel. But either one is fine, just get one and enjoy!

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
I was in the same boat ast year between the two. The only big differance between the two is the U.S. made version has a straight dust cover and the Itiallian made one has a tappered dust cover.
Actually - not entirely true. Most 92's have a curved dust cover AND a rear strap indentation. The M9 does not - it DOES have a straight dustcover. However, sometimes they will build a 92FS on an M9 frame. They realeased a batch of them about a year ago like that - I bought one on purpose because it had been years since 92's with a stright dustcover had been made...

On the strange side - I've also seen a few commercial M9s with the curved dustcover shortly thereafter. Most USA made ones have the same curved dustcover as the Italian models, though. So, this is a whole different variation factor that doesn't have much to do about where the gun was made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
But that is about it. I went with the Itiallian one myself, because the one st he gunsop had the Itiallians had better looking crowns on the barrel. But either one is fine, just get one and enjoy!
This part is true. The crown on the barrel does look better on the Italian models

Old 08-07-2012, 09:51 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have an Italian and my brother has an American 92. Only subtle differences, both shoot the same

Smith & Wesson 638
Mosin Nagant 91/30 Tula Hex 32 & 34
Browning BPS Magnum