Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta 92a1 vs Sig p226

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 92 Times on 66 Posts

Default Beretta 92a1 vs Sig p226

First time buying a handgun. Been doing a lot of research the past couple weeks and I think I have narrowed it down to the beretta 92a1.

Was considering the 96a1 but the 9mm mag size was what may have swayed me. Using for HD and target. No carrying.

Was also considering the sig p226. Besides the price difference, what are the negatives about either one? I can find positive reviews all day but id like to know what some potential turn offs would be of either.

Picked up purchase permit yesterday and going to gun show this weekend. Any info would be appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Personal Opinion: Sig is the better gun, by a landslide.

Better trigger, ergos, less monstrous grip/slide/controls...and no slide mounted thumb safety.

CZ 75 = BHP > Sig P226 > Beretta 92

Just one dude's perspective. They're all good guns, so get the one with the fit, features, and finish you prefer.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4721 Times on 2695 Posts
Likes Given: 3743

I have both, and have carried both on duty.

I consider them comparable. The SIG might have a very slight edge in overall quality, but the Beretta fits my hand better, and is therefore easier to shoot well. (for me, at least)

But both have been adopted as standard by the military, and you couldn't go wrong with either.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #4

My dad has the p229. I like it well enough. My buddy has the cz 75b. I liked that one as well. I just wanted something different and stumbled across the 92a1 on the Internet.

I think that's the way I'm leaning, and I can shoot a few extra rounds with the couple dollars I save.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 172 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 376

You have picked two very well made firearms. I have carried the m9 while in the military and never had a malufunction that I can think of, and our m9's were some of the oldest. The finish was almost worn off all the way on almost all of them and the thing rattled a bit when shook. Needless to say these things where shot all the time and rarely seen anyone play nice with them. But they stood up to it and shot great! When I got out I picked up an Itialian 92fs and it is one of the smoothest shooting pistols I own, Also I love the grip.

This is coming from somone who did not like the idea of the m9 for military use before I went in. But that time in and seeing them perform changed my mind. I love the new A1 and plan on getting one soon.

The only con I see is an aluminum fram and steel slide, which can make the frame wear faster, becasue it is a weaker metal.

As far as the sig goes, I thnk they are fantastic guns. I think the Brits issue sig to their troops. Love the design and look of them too. Also had a Lt. who was obssesed with them! You really cannot go wrong with either one. Shoot both and buy the one your best with.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 06-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #6

I have both as well. Both are great guns but if I had to pick just one, it would be the Sig P226. Some new model Sig P226's come with the E2 grips, which I highly recommend. The P226 is a bit more expensive but it's well worth it. Good luck choosing.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #7

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by capto56
First time buying a handgun. Been doing a lot of research the past couple weeks and I think I have narrowed it down to the beretta 92a1.

Was considering the 96a1 but the 9mm mag size was what may have swayed me. Using for HD and target. No carrying.

Was also considering the sig p226. Besides the price difference, what are the negatives about either one? I can find positive reviews all day but id like to know what some potential turn offs would be of either.

Picked up purchase permit yesterday and going to gun show this weekend. Any info would be appreciated.
Shot quite a few 9 mm before I bought and wound up with the 226. Smooth felt good and shoots well. Very easy to break down and clean with no tools required. Like everyone has pointed out both are great guns pick the one that feels best. Good luck.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:44 AM   #8

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

P226 Navy Seal version is a beauty. Im going to try it for the first time nxt weekend.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #9

Liked 723 Times on 537 Posts
Likes Given: 692

While at the gun show look at the S&W full size 5906 (all steel) and compact 6906 (alloy frame). Excellent pistols and often go for less than $400 used.

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #10

Thanks for the responses. I think I've decided on the beretta. Another reason is because of the accessory rail.

Not sure if I'll ever use it but it'll be nice to have the option. And with the money I save I can be through 1000 rounds before I'd reach the price of a sig.