Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta 92 vs. Glock 19? Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
I'm almost never going to suggest anything requiring gunsmithing to a new poster who is asking about a Beretta vs a Glock. Come on now!
The idea behind the gunsmithing is to improve upon an already quality and reasonably priced gun to where it can hold it's own against a 1-2k gun. I already know you can do it with a beretta. A glock, not so sure. Out of box, 90% of guns work fine.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris

I am predisposed to liking the more expensive models, in general, and staying away from the knock-offs. We're talking about protecting your life here, right?

For example, I would NEVER buy a Taurus 92 when I could buy the real thing in a Beretta. I would never buy a Taurus revolver when I could get a Smith & Wesson. I would never get a Rock Island 1911 when I could buy a Colt or Kimber. I'd rather save up another $100-300 and buy a nicer gun.

I don't need the very best, though, just the BEST mid-range gun.

Thus: Springfield XDm 9mm
I'm with you there but I have to say that the price of the Taurus 92s and the berettas are about the same. Not saying my Taurus is better than a beretta it's not, but they are built in a factory they bought from beretta with all the same equipment beretta used to make their 92s so I take it for what its worth.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #23

If you need a disposable pistol get the Glock.

If it were me I'd be looking at other options too.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:46 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 22

These are two very different guns, and two solid guns. For my own preferences the G19 would be more practical and desireable. I dislike the size of the Ber92, but that doesn't make it a bad gun. Personally I just feel the CZ 75 is head and shoulders a similar but better gun for me at the same price.

I like that the G19 is sort of a "jack of all trades" kind of utility gun. Super simple, light, and durable. Just small enough to carry, significant enough capacity for home defense, large enough for a range gun, affordable enough, etc. Though like many ultra-versatile guns, I'm not sure it fits any one need perfectly. But it does a lot of things "well enough".

There's a lot I don't love about Glock. But I own one (G27) and have found that I shoot it quite well. I'll probably add a G19 or G23 at some point.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 184 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Thus: Springfield XDm 9mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenney View Post
Heresy calling a partial polymer gun the best out there. While it's true that you usually get what you pay for with guns, there's a number of exceptions and when you get to the higher price points, the differences turn rather minimal. If you do your research, you'll find some really decent guns with good price points, and with a little quality gunsmithing, they can put some of the higher end models to shame.
I'll take an XDm over almost any $600 pistol on the planet (save maybe a CZ 75b). But if you're in to polymer, Glocks and M&Ps are plenty fine. Just boils down to personal preference.

XDm vs the massively overbuilt Beretta 92? Not even a discussion in my opinion. I prefer metal guns, yet I'll take the XDm eight days a week. Berettas are just fine BTW. But I've come across very few shooters who would choose one over an alloy Sig or steel CZ or BHP (if they've shot each). Probably there are a few folks with monster mitts out there who would disagree.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 182 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Glocks all the way!

Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #27

Liked 2197 Times on 1262 Posts
Likes Given: 1785

I guess what I didn't mention before is,

personally, I don't care which guns you buy.

So if you should get a Glock, it's no skin off of me.

But there's a few good reasons I own two 92s and

zero Glocks.

Simplest reason: We all pay for a lot of ugly on a

monthly basis. When I fork over cold cash for an

item like a gun, IMO, it should look as good as it shoots.

92s do that.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Amen. Glocks are the ugliest guns on the planet.

When they kick out your front door, how you gonna come. With your hands on your head or on the trigger of your gun?

Guns of Brixton- The Clash

Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #29

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

True kenny but they work well

Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM   #30

Liked 730 Times on 541 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
These are two very different guns, and two solid guns. For my own preferences the G19 would be more practical and desireable. I dislike the size of the Ber92, but that doesn't make it a bad gun. Personally I just feel the CZ 75 is head and shoulders a similar but better gun for me at the same price.

I like that the G19 is sort of a "jack of all trades" kind of utility gun. Super simple, light, and durable. Just small enough to carry, significant enough capacity for home defense, large enough for a range gun, affordable enough, etc. Though like many ultra-versatile guns, I'm not sure it fits any one need perfectly. But it does a lot of things "well enough".

There's a lot I don't love about Glock. But I own one (G27) and have found that I shoot it quite well. I'll probably add a G19 or G23 at some point.
I agree with everything you said, I like the Beretta but would choose the Glock over it since the G1/G23 fits my hand better and of course is much lighter. And if I were going with a full steel 9mm it would have to be the Hi Power or maybe 5906.

Since you have the G27, I'd highly recommend the G23 over the G19 since you can get a 40-9mm conversion barrel for the G23 and also use it in the G27. Might as well have both calibers in both guns!

The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.
You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.