Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta 92 FS wont lock back when empty???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Beretta 92 FS wont lock back when empty???

So my Beretta doesnt lock back when empty I have looked and cant find anything broken Im shooting the factory mags and the gun isnt that old probably less than a thousand rounds threw it gonna take it to a gunsmith just thought I would see if anyone has had this issue with theres and if so is there a way I could fix it myself thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-28-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5129 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

prolly worn slide release. if i remember right not a terribly hard fix but lots of small hard to manipulate springs involved.

berretta uses a lot of mim and its liekly the slide releases are soft. had that problem with the m9s in the military.

thats the most liekly cause but its hard to diagnose without detailed pics of the slide release. your gunsmith will sort it out in about two secs when he sees it in person.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-28-2011, 12:57 AM   #3

So it probably wouldnt cost me to much to take it to a gunsmith and have him fix it

Old 02-28-2011, 01:32 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5129 Times on 2671 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossyoakman3006 View Post
So it probably wouldnt cost me to much to take it to a gunsmith and have him fix it
nope. but like i said its just a guess on my part without detailed pics or the gun in hand. at the least any decent smith can tell ya on the spot what the issue is

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-28-2011, 01:34 AM   #5

Thanks for the help

Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #6

Likes Given: 1

Strip, thoroughly clean your firearm and shoot it again before a trip to the 'smith.

Could be a grime problem.

"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Old 03-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Can you manually lock the slide open? If the slide is not going to the full rear position when fired, it cannot lock. Dirty gun or underpowered ammo? Check the magazine springs. If the follower is not coming up fast enough to engage the slide stop before the slide starts forward, it will not lock.

May be time for new mag springs. Check Wolf at gunsprings.com

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #8

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Can you manually lock the slide open? If the slide is not going to the full rear position when fired, it cannot lock. Dirty gun or underpowered ammo? Check the magazine springs. If the follower is not coming up fast enough to engage the slide stop before the slide starts forward, it will not lock.May be time for new mag springs. Check Wolf at gunsprings.com
What he said, also take the mags apart and throroughly clean them. If you can manually lock the slide I would look at the mags first.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:33 PM   #9

Both the gun and the mags are clean the mags seem to be operating properly they arent that old and I usually dont keep ammo in them for long periods I'll try different ammo been using winchester usa nothing fancy but I didnt think that that would be the problem

Old 03-09-2011, 07:46 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would suggest going to the Beretta Forum and reading there - Also - here are some vids that showed me everything I know on how to take the frame apart:

FREE Beretta 92FS Disassembly Guide - Please Donate

Is it 1 mag or EVERY mag?

I will say that this comes up with LOTs of semi autos - and quite often, the shooter is resting their hand in such a way that they are hitting the mag release while shooting... And they are preventing the slide from staying open. It sounds silly, but pay attention to how yous hoot next time.

Also - under powered ammo could possibly do this. What ammo are you shooting?