Beretta 90-two or M9A1?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Beretta 90-two or M9A1?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Beretta 90-two or M9A1?

As the topic title suggests, Im stuck in a rut! I love the 90-two. Its very good looking, based off the 92 series (proven as far as Im concerned). But, I cant find any inside-the-pant holsters for it, nor any paddle holsters, sights, magazines, and some other stuff.

The M9A1 on the other hand has lots of accessories, yet, has 2 less round capacity than the 90two. Its a good looking gun, but as far as round capacity and looks, it just doesnt add up for me like the 90-two. Ive held both models and comfort is not a problem with either.

Im looking to switch this up with a 4" 9mm XD for my carry weapons and I predict carrying one of these models more than my XD.

I guess my questions are:

1. Has anyone seen a quality inside-the-pant holster for the 90-two?

2. Can I use 92 sights for the M9 or the 90-two?

3. Which one would you go with and why?

Thanks for your time ladies and gentlemen!

Best Regards,

Cason Farmer

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It is your decision in the end, and don't put too much stock into what our opinions are.

With that said, I would probably go with the 90-two. Since you are already familiar with carrying a polymer pistol, you will be familiar with the reduced weight and polymer frame of the 90-two (The weight reduction is very small, though). An extra 2 rounds is also a nice little touch.

As far as I have seen the operating parts of the two pistols are pretty much the same. It seems the only difference between the two is the polymer frame.

It's gonna have to be your call. If I had to pick one, it would be the 90-two for me.

You should be able to use the same sight setup on any Beretta pistol (M-9, 92FS, or 90-Two).

I have not seen an inside-the-pants holster for this type of pistol. I would assume that it would be a little bulky to carry like that comfortably. As far as 9mm pistols go, these models are pretty bulky.

On a side note, have you though of just getting a full size XD (4 inch or 5 inch model)?

Old 01-18-2009, 11:04 PM   #3

Well, to clarify, I am not used to carrying anything as of yet. I havent gotten my CWP yet. Ive shot a 3" XD 40 and fell in love. I have shot 9mm before though and like it better than the .40 round. Less recoil, cheaper in bulk, still good stopping power. Thus my choice of the XD9 and one of the two aforementioned Berettas.

I know, Im a weirdo. I just love the 92 style and Ill compromise bulk for confidence and enjoyment any day. Thats my theory atleast.

I was seriously looking at an XDM 9 for a range gun. Its a 4 1/2". Ive never held one but have heard enough to sell me with confidence. Although I have never carried in my life (yet), I just dont know about a 5 incher in my gut or on my hip. The M9 and 90-two are very close to that but atleast they have a slimmer profile. And finally, I saw the 90-two and the M9 and I think I will enjoy shooting them much more so than the XDM. Afterall, I want to carry the gun I enjoy more and have more confidence in.

I want to get both the Beretta and the XD to switch off. I love both guns and will shoot both of them at the range very regularly, so I just want to take care of both wants. I am confident that I will be comfortable having to use either in a situation very soon after I purchase them, and before I start carrying either.

I am getting a 4" XD9 for its extended tactical rail, and of course the M9 or 90-two over the 92 for its rail as well. Both of these guns will be for home defense and for carry, and I am pairing both of them with an X300 or 400 (not decided yet) from Surefire, so I will need the slightly longer picrail on the 4" as opposed to the subcompact.

Im sure half of that was unneccessary information but now you know where Im coming from! I appologize for not being detailed enough in my previous post.

EDIT: Im very concerned about the holster availability for the 90-two. If it had what the M9 had for holsters it would be a no-brainer.

Best Regards,

Cason Farmer

Last edited by sonf; 01-18-2009 at 11:51 PM. Reason: clarification

Old 01-18-2009, 11:39 PM   #4

One other thing I meant to mention was grip availability for the M9. Would it be safe to say that the 92FS grips would work on the M9? Sorry for all the questions.

Best Regards,

Cason Farmer

Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have found I kind of like metal over plastic, but not because the plastic guns I've owned and fired are bad.

I just like the feel and weight. I own a 92FS and I like it very much.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:39 AM   #6

Well to start off the 90-two is not a polymer frame just a single piece grip vs. the M9A1'a two piece. Second the reason why the M9A1 only 15 rounds is because they come with the sand resistant clips that are only offered in 15 round capacity’s. You could buy the 17 round standard clip or the PVD coated clip and they would work in the M9.

As for holsters I have yet to find one that will fit the 90-two. I called Balckhawk to ask if there 92 holsters would work; they told me that they fit fine. Well I have sitting here and you would have to grind out some plastic to get that thing to fit in. I also called Gould & Goodrich to see if there three slot pancake holsters would work, thinking that the leather would have a little give and should work, well the lady told me that it would not work and they don't have anything that will. Beretta has one on there international web site part# FO99-20-99 however I have yet to find a place that sells them. I'm going to check a local gun shop to see if they can order one.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Really? Oh. Thanks for the info. In my ignorance, I just assumed it was a plastic version. Damn, now I'm the 4,765,299,110th smartest person on the planet. Thanks for dropping me down one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajastx View Post
Well to start off the 90-two is not a polymer frame just a single piece grip vs. the M9A1'a two piece. Second the reason why the M9A1 only 15 rounds is because they come with the sand resistant clips that are only offered in 15 round capacity’s. You could buy the 17 round standard clip or the PVD coated clip and they would work in the M9.

As for holsters I have yet to find one that will fit the 90-two. I called Balckhawk to ask if there 92 holsters would work; they told me that they fit fine. Well I have sitting here and you would have to grind out some plastic to get that thing to fit in. I also called Gould & Goodrich to see if there three slot pancake holsters would work, thinking that the leather would have a little give and should work, well the lady told me that it would not work and they don't have anything that will. Beretta has one on there international web site part# FO99-20-99 however I have yet to find a place that sells them. I'm going to check a local gun shop to see if they can order one.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:37 AM   #8

Sorry it was not my intention to come off that way I just didn’t want SONF to think the 90Two was going to be the same weight as a polymer gun. It actually weighs a bit more than the PX4’s especially with 17 rounds in it.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 741512th View Post
Really? Oh. Thanks for the info. In my ignorance, I just assumed it was a plastic version. Damn, now I'm the 4,765,299,110th smartest person on the planet. Thanks for dropping me down one.
Sorry it was not my intention to come off that way I just didn’t want SONF to think the 90Two was going to be the same weight as a polymer gun. It actually weighs a bit more than the PX4’s especially with 17 rounds in it.

I did find a holster that fits great and is a quality piece. Its a DeSaints holster.

Last edited by bajastx; 01-30-2009 at 02:53 AM.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:00 AM   #10

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonf View Post
As the topic title suggests, Im stuck in a rut! I love the 90-two. Its very good looking, based off the 92 series (proven as far as Im concerned). But, I cant find any inside-the-pant holsters for it, nor any paddle holsters, sights, magazines, and some other stuff.

1. Has anyone seen a quality inside-the-pant holster for the 90-two?
Try this holster builder:

IWB Gun Holsters for Firearms, Covert Holsters for Guns, Pistols and IDPA Shooting

I think he can make you one for your 92

You will not find a better built holster than one from Andy. Truly an 'old school' English artisan!

I have one of his Covert 28's for my Colt 1911.

I'm surprised Sparks doesn’t offer their Versa Max II for your gun.

Milt Sparks Holsters

For an IWB holster it rates right up there. If you can wait 36-40 months for Tony to build you one! Yea, they’re that good.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello