Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Benefit of 1911s?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Benefit of 1911s?

I've never owned a 1911, so I'm wondering - what is the fuss about?

I would think that a Glock is less likely to rust. Rumor has it that 1911's don't feed hollow points as well, but any truth to that? 1911's are larger weopons that are more difficult to conceal - at least it appears that way by the eye test.

I understand that you can customize a 1911 much easier than something like a Glock, but how important is it to have a different color handle or something?

I know it sounds like I'm trying to flame 1911's here, but no one in my family has a 1911. Is there a benefit or is it because of the long heritage that people like 1911s? Maybe it just feels better?

There are military grade 1911s, but the police carry Glocks yes?

Also seems like 1911's are often more expensive. How do you justify the cost increase? I must be missing something.

My blog - I sell nothing don't worry.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I really like the trigger on the 1911. They're also generally heavier and feel more like a piece of machinery rather than a disposable razor. That said, I own a lot of Glocks .

Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Retired

Liked 2268 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

Have you shot a 1911? On a quality 1911, there is so much to appreciate.

I have owned Glocks in the past, but I have none now. To me, the feel of the trigger, the grip, and how it just does not fit me comes into play.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 05-18-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum

Liked 240 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 645

100 years of reliability is just one of many reasons why there a very good weapon choice.

Old 05-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I own Glocks and 1911's. While Glocks and other polymer frame guns may be more practical in today's environment, there's still nothing quite like a 1911.

The 1911 is a single action semi auto, which means the trigger pull is very short and crisp.

It is easy to work on and customize if you're familiar with the design and how it works.

The single stack magazine of a 1911 allows the gun to be thinner than today's thick, blocky pistols and therefore, more easily concealed.

They just feel like a "real" gun.

Some cops DO carry 1911's.

It's just a very well designed gun. Yes, it has low ammo capacity by today's standards but, IMO for the 1911 to still be one of the most popular handguns on the market after 100 years, John Browning must have done something right.

Yes, 1911's are often more expensive than polymer guns because, being an all metal gun, there is more machining and careful fitting of parts. As opposed to a poly frame, which is just squirted into a mold.

Many people are more accurate with a 1911 than with any other pistol.

Many people don't like the fact that many pistols nowadays don't have a manual safety, they prefer the 1911 which has a manual thumb safety and a grip safety.

Basically it comes down to 2 reasons, personal preference, and the long history of the gun.

I've tried to explain it to the best of my ability, but words alone cannot describe what it's like to shoot a 1911. The best thing I can tell you is find a range that will let you rent one and try it out

Old 05-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #6

Liked 886 Times on 528 Posts
Likes Given: 289

When comparing the 1911 specifically to a Glock the external safeties of the 1911 are a big difference to many people. There are many threads that go into details on the differences related to the safeties.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 05-18-2011, 03:55 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

- I've never owned a 1911, so I'm wondering - what is the fuss about?
Someone mentioned the years of history. 100 years, in fact.

- I would think that a Glock is less likely to rust. Rumor has it that 1911's don't feed hollow points as well, but any truth to that? 1911's are larger weopons that are more difficult to conceal - at least it appears that way by the eye test.

Modern 1911s with modern coatings are pretty good. Plastic doesn't rust, true, but the weight of the 1911 is a reason many choose it for competitive shooting. I actually looked at adding weight to my Glocks for precisely this reason. Glocks/XDs are usually thicker, sometimes considerably thicker so it's a wash as far as concealability.

- I understand that you can customize a 1911 much easier than something like a Glock, but how important is it to have a different color handle or something?

Grip size is very much a personal preference. Until the Gen4 Glocks with the interchangeable backstrap, you didn't have much of a choice. Now luckily for me, my fingers are somewhat stubby with a long palm, so the stock Glock grip fits well. But if you weren't born with so lucky and beautiful a hand as mine, then the 1911 would be easier to customize.

- I know it sounds like I'm trying to flame 1911's here, but no one in my family has a 1911. Is there a benefit or is it because of the long heritage that people like 1911s? Maybe it just feels better?

A poor design doesn't survive 100 years.. and after 100 years, the smaller issues get worked out.

- There are military grade 1911s, but the police carry Glocks yes?

Police carry Glocks, among others, for various reasons, but one of the biggest reasons is cost. They are relatively inexpensive, reliable, and boring. Like driving a Camry. There's arguably nothing wrong with driving a Camry, but you don't see a lot of Camrys at the Homestead race track near my house :/.

Now I'm not bashing Glocks at all. I own several of them, and even multiples of the same model. But the 1911s are gorgeous, shoot well, and have tradition.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Retired

Liked 2268 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 1058

LEO's in some areas are limited to what is authorized by their EXPERT or cost. The only thing I would opt for when talking about LEO handguns is the caliber.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 05-18-2011, 04:57 PM   #9

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have owned one Glock, a model 19. It was a very good and dependable pistol. My friend bought it from me and has thousands of rounds through it without a problem. I would even consider a model 26 for CCW.

However, I prefer a 1911 all around. Why? Because it has a better trigger, it's slimmer, it points more naturally, it has two mechanical safeties plus the one between my ears and it just feels right and natural in my hands. 100 years of tradition really does mean something to me. Granted, my opinion is quite subjective, but it's all I have.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #10

Liked 404 Times on 261 Posts
Likes Given: 34

There's a lot more to customizing a 1911 than just the grips. There's a reason that Brownell's makes a whole catalog dedicated to 1911 parts and pieces.

1911s come in a variety of shapes and sizes. You have the goverment model (5" barrel with a full frame), the commander model (4.25" model with a full frame), officer model (3.5" barrle with a smaller frame), and the CCO and Defender models also. You can get bull barrels, reverse recoil plugs, full length guide rods, extended mag release buttons, extended slide stops/release, extended safeties, ambidexterous safeties, and the list goes on an on. You can bobtail the frame for better concealability, dehorn the edges, undercut the trigger guard. Have you looked at the top race guns? 1911s that are so customized that you can barely recognize them.

Ever wondered why there are so many 1911 photo threads and so few Glock photo threads? There's a reason.

Nothing at all wrong with Glocks, but shoot a 1911 you'll see what you're missing.