Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Begginer help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well mostly I just wanna do target shooting but I've got some crazy friends that go out and hunt armed only with pistols and knives. I may join them if I become a good enough shot. For now it's just me target shooting, and maby my girlfriend if she gets interested.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #12

Oh sry I forgot to specify, that recent message was to jjsmail

Old 08-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #13

Sweeper22,
The range master is a close friend, he's the one that got me interested in shooting. Usually it's 600 dollars for this deal but he gave it to me for this special price on the condition that I can only use their bottom line ammo (the suckiest available) for the gun I'm using. Any other ammo I have to purchase myself. But still, I'm no pro so it doesn't make much difference to me.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2590 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Quote:
Well mostly I just wanna do target shooting but I've got some crazy friends that go out and hunt armed only with pistols and knives. I may join them if I become a good enough shot. For now it's just me target shooting, and maby my girlfriend if she gets interested.
Just starting out, I'd hunt down a .357 revolver of some sort. For range use with potential hunting, I'd look at a 6" barrel. Ruger or S&W would be a safe choice for new purchases. Same for used, with Colt and Dan Wesson added for variety.

If you insist on a semi-auto 9mm, CZ 75b. Inexpensive, reliable and accurate. Good all around pistol. It wouldn't be my first choice for hunting, however.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8440 Times on 3662 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Only way that a 9mm recoils "sideways" is if you are using the Gangsta drive-by grip- seen in movies frequently- with the pistol rotated 90 degrees from the vertical.

homeboy.jpg click the pic 2 enlarge

Have shot a Browning Hi-Power for years- not cheap, but IMHO, among the very best pistols ever designed.

Now, if you want SNAPPY- I have a Para Ordnance C7/45. .45 ACP about the size of a S&W Chief's Special revolver. THAT gets a bit snappy on recoil- not vicious, just sort of HELLO!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #16

Haha thanks for that picture. Gave me my answer AND made me laugh. Anyways, money isn't much of a factor for me so I was thinking about getting a nice H&K USP. I love how they look, and I tested one on the range today and it was amazing, well at least to my untrained self. Before I go ahead with it tho, is there any reasons anyone would not recommend this purchase? I thot the gun handled really good, but again, I don't know that much about guns.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #17

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

H&K is good, but my personal preference is Sig Sauer. They shoot great and feel really good in my hands. Sigs in general cost less than H&K and you get a little better pistol, IMO. I wouldn't suggest Sig's polymer pistols tho, try the P220 (45 acp), P226 (9 mm, 40 S&W, or 357 Sig), P229 (9 mm, 40 S&W, or 357 Sig), or P239 (9 mm, 40 S&W, or 357 Sig).

Old 08-29-2011, 10:41 PM   #18

Liked 949 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 945

Definitely hang on to your Ruger .22 no matter what you get. Because of cost many of us shoot ten times as much .22 as the nearest centerfire cartridge. And you still get practice that helps on your larger calibers.

As far as what to buy, definitely go with the rentals in various calibers to see which gun and caliber you like best. I suppose if you want a semiauto handgun and are concerned about recoil, the 9mm makes a lot of sense. Of the classics, the Hi Power is one of the best but today a Glock 19 or other polyguns make sense.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #19

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Find a vintage Browning Hi Power, you will love it!

I am a rabid Colt 1911 fan and had gone 17 years without shooting a BHP until............

Found this sweetheart on Gunbroker for $500 and was reunited with the brilliance of John Moses Browning's P35!

A quick search on the interwebz and you can find a quality Mec-Gar 15-Round Magazine for ~$22 or a nickel plated one for ~$25. That gives you 16 rounds of 9mm protection in the same package size as the 13rd mag and in a steel gun that is incredibly easy to stay on target. I reduced my Mozambique drill times 20% and upped my hit ratio near 35%! And that's compared to my 8+1 round 3" Defender.

Yea, I'm a big fan of the P35 (Browning Hi Power) and it shoots far past my skill level!

I liked it so much that when a nickel BHP popped up I jumped on it! It cost a tad more than the blued BHP but worth every penny.

Do yourself a favor and before you buy your handgun, shoot a BHP in 9mm. I'll let the gun do the sales pitch!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #20

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by timrz View Post
And c3shooter, I heard that 9mms have a nasty habit of kicking a little sideways, is that true? And if so how do I compensate for it?
Thats one of those nasty ideas you do NOT want to get into your head!
You do NOT want to try to compensate for any type of recoil
Go with the recoil- Its in no way going to hurt you if you hold & fire your handgun properly
BTW- My wife has & LOVES her Ruger SR9C (shes little)

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET