Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Begginer help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Begginer help

I just started handgun shooting and I'd like a little general advice if anyone can give. I've been shooting an old looking ruger .22 caliber that looks like it's straight out of WWII :P I want to move up to something a little bigger (and hopefully cooler looking) but I'm worried about the kick. Will the kick on bigger handguns hurt you?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #2

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I feel a good starter pistol caliber is a 9mm Luger. It's a manageable recoil, very accurate round, and not too expensive to shoot. Your choices for 9mm are wide and not too bad on price. My personal suggestion would be rent a few different brands of pistol, read about some, and get some open minded advice from people in the forum. I like Glocks, Springfield xd, smith and wesson M&P, and sig sauer for a 9mm choice. Find out what features you want and what price range you're working with and go from their.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I would like to suggest the Ruger SR9 or its compact version SR9c. Very soft recoil and very accurate.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8373 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Tim- a reasonable question. FWIW, my 15 yr old granddaughter shoots my 9mms, and my .357 Magnums (loaded with .38 Special wadcutter target loads)

YES, they have recoil. But not painful. All other things being equal, a heavy gun will recoil less than a light gun IN THE SAME CALIBER.

There is a great variety of 9mm pistols and ammo, and prices are reasonable. You may also want to take a look at .38 Special or .357 magnum revolvers.

ARE there painful handguns? Yep. A 2" .357 loaded with hot Buffalo Bore ammo will not only bring tears to your eyes, but may draw blood. I have no desire to fire .500 S&W, .475 Linebaugh, etc again. To me, they would be useful only for hunting LARGE bear, blue whales, and small armored vehicles.

The suggestion to find a range that rents handguns is a standard suggestion, and a very good one.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 755 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Tim,

My wife and I are just beginning ourselves. Our first venture into a LEO recommended shop and range was a disaster. I don't care how much money was burning a hole in my pocket, I wasn't buying or renting anything from there. Sad part, among the big non chain stores, they had the best reputation... Finally found a great range with a large selection of rentals, and a great shop with the nicest owners.

I now own a 22/45 and she owns the XD(M) compact. Two great guns. Rentals are the ticket, you will find the firemarm that feels most comfortable to you.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:40 PM   #6

Thanks, I'll take these guns into consideration. At my range I payed 300 dollars for unlimeted ammo and gun rentals for one month. Considering I go there every day I think that's a pretty good deal. Anyways, they have both of those guns there and I'll test both of them out. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #7

And c3shooter, I heard that 9mms have a nasty habit of kicking a little sideways, is that true? And if so how do I compensate for it?

Old 08-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timrz View Post
I just started handgun shooting and I'd like a little general advice if anyone can give. I've been shooting an old looking ruger .22 caliber that looks like it's straight out of WWII :P I want to move up to something a little bigger (and hopefully cooler looking) but I'm worried about the kick. Will the kick on bigger handguns hurt you?
Is the pistol going to be used as a range pistol or will it have other intended roles such as HD or CCW? Also, who is shooting it - you, your wife, or kids?

The reason I ask is that there are many options to consider as barell length and type, sight packages, handgun weight, SA/DA, caliber, etc etc etc...

Once you are pretty clear on what you want to do with the handgun, then using the price range you have specified, you will be able to create a short list of candidates and go to your range and test fire as many of them as you can before you decide.

Last edited by jismail; 08-29-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

A 9mm in almost any platform (except a micro carry gun) is going to be relatively mild and manageable for someone of average strength.

Getting a heavier but well balanced gun will also contribute to recoil management. I'm a big fan of CZ 75, Browning Hi-Power, and Sig P226 in that regard. If you have larger hands, a Beretta 92 is also a good option.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 220 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by timrz View Post
Thanks, I'll take these guns into consideration. At my range I payed 300 dollars for unlimeted ammo and gun rentals for one month. Considering I go there every day I think that's a pretty good deal. Anyways, they have both of those guns there and I'll test both of them out. Thanks for the suggestion!
That's a pretty cool deal.

I find it's easy to send about $80-100 in ammunition down range in a single session. That's 200rds 9mm ($45), 100rds 45acp ($35), and maybe a little something extra depending on what I take with me.