Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1847 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 563

The op is not hunting bear but defending from a possible bear attack. I carry a Kimber Pepper Blaster. 2 shots that are not affected by wind or rain. Short range though at 3'-13'. Very compact and light. I usually also have a 357 loaded with hardball. I would rather have something bigger. It would be difficult to carry a shotgun in the areas I go, mostly because of people, but there is always a shotgun next to my bed in the RV. In Alaska I carried a 12 gauge or a rifle. The short barreled 454 Casull revolvers have proven themselves and are popular up there.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5498 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Jon firing guns to scare bears only works for Grizzly Adams. I saw a fellow try that on a Big Boar Grizz last fall. They are not cowardly critters. The old Boar started to move to the shooter not away. A fast retreat by the shooter was needed.
its about as effective as shooting em with one heh.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-29-2012, 02:25 AM   #13

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Bears have lost their fear of man in many areas. They have also over run the available land for their use. The conflicts become more common as they spread into more populated areas. The use of Bear Spray and rolling up in a ball is usally just surrender. Many hikers who use "Chili Sauce" get it in their own eyes. There is no spray that can stand up to even 10 or 15 mph winds. The good news is, you are blinded and you will never see the end of your life.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
all handguns lack the juice to down an enraged bear. there IS a reason alaska fish and game officers carry 12ga with slugs when they have to go into possible bear country.

hunting a bear is NOT the same as trying to stop an enraged bear before it gets to you. when your hunting the bear is usually at rest adrenaline wise, you have time to wait for a good shot so downing bears with things like handguns is totally doable.

handguns are better or noise making to scare a bear off than actually using it on one. for that they are pretty damn useless.
I would put my 500 S&W up against a 12 gauge slug any day.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I think you are seriously overestimating the ability of the S&W and way underestimating the level of destruction provided by a 12 ga slug.

I have hunted using both handgun (just a 44 mag) and 12 ga slugs. There is no comparison. Just my experience. Do your own thing in your own way.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:57 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 249 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangokid View Post
Jon firing guns to scare bears only works for Grizzly Adams. I saw a fellow try that on a Big Boar Grizz last fall. They are not cowardly critters. The old Boar started to move to the shooter not away. A fast retreat by the shooter was needed.
I always wondered about those so called "experts" who advise you to charge or call the bears bluff. It may work on young bears but what the hell do you do if the bear calls your bluff. (save the last round for yourself ?)

Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 AM   #17

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Gonsilla good post. I would like anyone to look over a handgun at a Big Grizz. Even that 500 S&W will look Damn small. A squirt can full of "Chili Sauce" will most likely get you hurt or worse. A 12 Ga. loaded with Buck and Slug is your best chance. A load of Buck into the "Steering Gears" front legs can shut them down with a slug into the upper body.