Bear

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Bear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Bear

Can I stop or slow down a bear with a .45GAP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-28-2012, 02:57 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8926 Times on 3867 Posts
Likes Given: 1397

Is it possible? Yes. Probable? No. Do you want to bet your life on it? No.

A lot depends on the bear. Here in the mountains of Virginia, a 250 lbs black bear is a good sized bear. Last year I got to see some Alaskan Brown Bear out on some of the islands. About the size of a chevy S-10 pickkup.

Best medicine for bear- be aware of what is around you. Bear spray DOES work in most cases. Get between a sow and her cubs, I would LIKE to have a 105 howitzer loaded with a flechette round.

However, as we have discussed here several times, a 12 g loaded with slugs in the portable firearm of choice. A 45 GAp or 45 ACP is good medicine for people- not bear.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:43 AM   #3

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Problem is the wind is constant in the Rocky Mountians. The chances of spray reaching the bear before he reachs you is not good. A can of Hornet and Wasp spray would be more effective. They shoot a jet of toxic spray bad stuff. Myself I have found that a 12 Ga. slugs reach farther than "Chili Sauce".

Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #4

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

One thing you don't want to do is piss the bear off so choose your firearm wisely. Though I carry a .44 mag walking in the woods around here but if confronted by an angry sow or a 250+ pound boar I'd rather be carrying a shotgun with slugs or at least a 30-06 rifle. If a bear charges they are fast, up to 35 mph, whatever shots you get with adrenaline messing with you you had better have enough firepower to make whatever shots fired do the job.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 195 Posts
Likes Given: 105

They do make some impressive "chili sauce" canisters these days but they are larger & heavier than a decent pistol. Besides, if your going to be the main course, you might as well go - well seasoned...

I went through basic w a guy whose family has been guiding hunters in Alaska for generations. They have to go through survival training in order to guide hunters and the school recommends 12 ga slugs for self defense.

Bears are dangerous critters that can be late to their own funerals and will be more than happy to take you with them.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 03-28-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If you are shooting the GAP, why not try the glock in 10mm? I have heard wiser people say that it has better penetration and offers a better chance than the .45. Whatever happens remember the value to the forest of that dead bear body as fertilize. With bears it isn't "sometimes dead is better," it is "dead is always better".

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #7

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Why wonder at all?? You should never shoot a bear anyways! FLOUR bomb on OP.

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5724 Times on 2992 Posts
Likes Given: 379

all handguns lack the juice to down an enraged bear. there IS a reason alaska fish and game officers carry 12ga with slugs when they have to go into possible bear country.

hunting a bear is NOT the same as trying to stop an enraged bear before it gets to you. when your hunting the bear is usually at rest adrenaline wise, you have time to wait for a good shot so downing bears with things like handguns is totally doable.

handguns are better or noise making to scare a bear off than actually using it on one. for that they are pretty damn useless.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #9

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Jon firing guns to scare bears only works for Grizzly Adams. I saw a fellow try that on a Big Boar Grizz last fall. They are not cowardly critters. The old Boar started to move to the shooter not away. A fast retreat by the shooter was needed.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #10

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgerBlue
Why wonder at all?? You should never shoot a bear anyways! FLOUR bomb on OP.
I agree? What real need is there to hunt bears? They don't rely on hunters thinning them out as certain populations of deer do. Sure if attacked by one, defend yourself, but to hunt bear IMO has lost its necessity in a modern world.