Barrel and rust?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Barrel and rust?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Barrel and rust?

O.k. Here it goes.

I has pf9 blued that has not been shot due to a surgery I have had but I have snap caped the crap out of it. Back when the post 9days and rust started i looked over my PF and behold I have rust on the barrel. Crap, so I have polished other barrels and had 300,600 and 1000 grit wet/dry sand paper.

I use a little gun oil on the paper and sand down the barrel, it cleans off nice not a mirror image but enough to clean off rust.
About 2 weeks later I check again and now the rust is returning. Sooooo this time I polish with sand paper to a mirror image and Finnish off with mothers car wax, wipe down and added a thin layer of car axel grease.

Now about 2weeks later I have a look and I can see little specks forming on my mirrored barrel. These specks were not there before.

I can not find a speck of rust on the rest of the pistol any where. They are kept in a small safe that holds a couple other pistols with loose mags. I have a bunch of the silicone packets and containers you get in pill/vitamin bottles all over the place including my ammo cans.

What else can I do?
how can I stop this from continuing?
How come my other pistols with polished barrels don't have this problem?

Thank's for any help y'all can provide.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

My safe has one of those lil "golden rod"-type dehumidifier/heater things. They are not expensive.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #3

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Move here to the southwest. Problem solved.

But really, the dehumidifier is a great idea.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #4

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

FROG LUBE 1st heat the barrel up some and rub it in, then get a dehumidifier or boil in bag rice and put one bag in the safe and change them out every month.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:45 AM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys I am definitely going to try them out.

Any idea how come only this one barrel shows rust and not the other barrels that I have polished in the same safe don't rust at all.