Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Barrel Residue Mystery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
vwg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Barrel Residue Mystery

I have a stainless barreled Taurus PT145 .45 with a 3.25” barrel that was shot and left dirty for about 3 months. I noticed a white residue in the barrel and some of it has a light greenish hue to it. Is this anything to be worried about such as corrosion or anything that would affect the accuracy or in some way be bad for the barrel? What is this stuff?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Green probably means oxidized copper.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just give it a good cleaning and finish with some CLP.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:41 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
Green probably means oxidized copper.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just give it a good cleaning and finish with some CLP.
^^^ What he said...ever see the patina that forms on copper...it will form inside your barrel on the bullet's jacket residue. A thorough cleaning will remove it.

On the Status of Liberty or the roof of a cathedral it is a thing of beauty...in your gun barrel not so much.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington