Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Ballistic Fingerprinting? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/ballistic-fingerprinting-3704/)

Sambucca 03-13-2008 07:55 PM

Ballistic Fingerprinting?

What do you think, a worthwhile project or ploy to drive the price of ammunition?

Law enforcement authorities are developing "ballistics databases" and "bullet fingerprints" that will identify bullet casings and fired bullets, and match them to the guns that fired them. Despite the cost, they say this project is worthwhile to help stop crime and has the full support of law-enforcement officials.

However:
The National Academy of Sciences has released a report saying such tools are still in the dream stage, current technology would yield a data set so large that too many false matches would occur and make the results useless, and the idea that guns and shells have unique "fingerprints" that are actually useable, "has not yet been fully demonstrated scientifically."

The report goes on to praise ballistics as a crime-fighting tool, but notes that, with millions of guns sold annually, the logistics of any tracking system are monumental.

Samhain 03-13-2008 08:31 PM

From what I have heard, this is a new feature that is built into a hand gun.
So far just CA has this in place (anyone living in CA correct me if I'm wrong) I have also been informed this is going to raise the cost of a hand gun that has this technology about $200.

Sambucca 03-13-2008 08:47 PM

Samhain

I actually live in CA I haven't heard anything like that yet, although I have heard its a matter of law in New York.
This is the first I've heard of it being built into the barrel though.

Thanks

Samhain 03-13-2008 08:51 PM

I could have swarn someone was telling me gov. schwarzenegger passed this into law.... I could be wrong..

Samhain 03-13-2008 08:58 PM

Micro-stamping

I was thinking of Micro-stamping

Micro-stamping bullet casings may be coming A bill before California lawmakers would require all new semiautomatic pistols sold after 2010 to have a microscopic laser that would etch a tiny stamp into bullet casings every time the gun is fired. The stamp would have the gun’s make, model and serial number in two places, which would help to track violent criminals.
Supporters of the bill say it is not likely to cause a stir among guns-rights groups, as they wouldn’t be required to turn in their weapons to be updated. Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Calif., and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., have announced plans to introduce their own micro-stamping bills in Congress.

Samhain 03-13-2008 09:02 PM

This whole thing dosn't matter anyway, the people who have guns legally
like all of us, don't go around using our firearms in violent crimes.
The people who do have stolen guns,.... so the best they will be able to do is track it back to the person who had there gun stolen.

Sambucca 03-13-2008 09:55 PM

Samhain

Thanks for the informative update

fapprez 03-14-2008 01:01 AM

Or, you can always police your brass. One well placed shot leaves only one casing to retrieve.

matt g 03-14-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samhain (Post 19035)
I was thinking of Micro-stamping

Micro-stamping bullet casings may be coming A bill before California lawmakers would require all new semiautomatic pistols sold after 2010 to have a microscopic laser that would etch a tiny stamp into bullet casings every time the gun is fired. The stamp would have the gun’s make, model and serial number in two places, which would help to track violent criminals.
Supporters of the bill say it is not likely to cause a stir among guns-rights groups, as they wouldn’t be required to turn in their weapons to be updated. Rep. Xavier Becerra, D-Calif., and Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., have announced plans to introduce their own micro-stamping bills in Congress.

It's not a bill anymore, it passed into law.

ScottG 03-15-2008 02:11 AM

Perhaps we should microstamp politicians instead. They cause more trouble than guns do....