Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Backup pistol suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Default Backup pistol suggestions?

Howdy, folks!
I'm the kind of guy that likes the idea of having a concealed carry handgun for just about any season and clothing.
I like the idea of carrying my 1911 or sigma in the winter, as they can be easily concealed under a jacket or coat.
But what about those warm months when it would be difficult to hide the bigger pistols.
My current CCW is my surplus CZ70, which is adequate for concealed carry, but i'm thinking about getting a micro pistol for pocket holster use.
I've been looking at the Ruger LCP, Keltec P3AT and P32, micro Desert Eagle and the NAA Guardian. Either in .380 or .32acp.
Out of those mentioned, or something else, what would you suggest?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Kahr PM9. Works well in tee shirt and shorts. A great gun once you break it in.

"Honey, can I buy another gun?" "Why another gun?" "I just figured out that I am two guns short of never enough!"

Old 10-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I bought the NAA Guardian. It's a tad heavy but very compact...

Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 AM   #4

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Bersa Thunder 380
Taurus 709

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 10-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsmelEduardo View Post
Bersa Thunder 380
Taurus 709

I second the Thunder 380! Great pistol...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 10-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

I recently bought a Bersa model 83 .380, all steel frame. It's a great weapon, the only thing that keeps it from really being compact is the thick wood grips, they are like grabbing the handle of a sledge hammer. I haven't been able to find aftermarket grips so perhaps I'll have to get some poly slabs and make my own. The new Bersa Thunders in .380 are still hefty in size but are very good quality for the price.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:32 AM   #7

+1 on the Kahr PM9. But I beg to differ on one point. Not all need a break in. Mine A+ out of the box. 500 rounds and absolutely no fails. And at 7 yards as accurate as my 4" FNP9 - which is dead on.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #8

The Springfield Armory XD 9 sub compact its a little bit chunkier, but it is accurate and has very little recoil.

If not that anything with the Glock name on it would probably suit your needs.

Psalms 18:30-35
It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #9

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmeekey View Post
The Springfield Armory XD 9 sub compact its a little bit chunkier, but it is accurate and has very little recoil.

If not that anything with the Glock name on it would probably suit your needs.
Since you resurrected this thread, I'll flatly state that unless you have HUGE and I mean HUGE pockets - nothing from Springfield or Glock fills the bill. My current hot weather carry is a Sig P238 and it's not really a great pocket gun but works very well in an IWB holster. For true pocket size, something like the Ruger LCP is a good choice...

Old 10-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good ol fashion Smith & Wesson .38 spcl...or the Thunder 380. Have experience with both. If you go with the Bersa, I would recommend taking a Dremel tool and light polishing compound and really smoothing out the feed ramp. Other than that, excellent little gun!