Baby Eagle II Polymer vs. Baby Eagle II Steel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Baby Eagle II Polymer vs. Baby Eagle II Steel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Baby Eagle II Polymer vs. Baby Eagle II Steel

Hey all, just joined up. I've run into a Dilemma. I've just turned 16 and after a lot of time shooting rifles and handguns with the family, my parents have given me the permission to finally own my own handgun. I've been through lots and lots and have decided on the Baby Eagle II. My Dad and I had a father and son day and made the trip up to the Outpost Armory (Barret Firearms gunstore) and I had intentions of picking up an M&P 9mm. I saw the Baby Eagle and asked to see it and it was like the gun was perfect for me, but there's a small problem. I'm not sure whether to go with the full steel frame (much much heavier than the polymer version) or the polymer version. I like the heft of the steel, but I like the finger indention's and the ability to move quickly with the polymer frame. I would love to hear what you guys think, or opinions from anyone who has handled/owned one of the baby eagles. Help would be greatly appreciated!

- Hunter

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2012, 01:43 AM   #2

Liked 1000 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Well the heft of steel vs. LW polymer... tough question.

I have both and carried heavy pistols 40 years, mainly a Colt Series 70 45ACP. I now carry a Glock 23. Lighter, just as strong and easier to manage. Recoil is a bit more but not bad. I'd say today polymer makes more sense but can you rent both and find out which works out best for you?

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Well the heft of steel vs. LW polymer... tough question.

I have both and carried heavy pistols 40 years, mainly a Colt Series 70 45ACP. I now carry a Glock 23. Lighter, just as strong and easier to manage. Recoil is a bit more but not bad. I'd say today polymer makes more sense but can you rent both and find out which works out best for you?
I actually asked about that and no I can't, which is a bummer. I honestly think I will absolutely love both of them, so I might just take a chance and flip a coin when I'm buying it. I feel like no matter what both will be a great choice

Old 02-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The all metal gun will have much less recoil.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have a baby eagle compact in 40S&W the all steel version. It is a great weapon. I have many handguns in polymer and metal. just love the feel of the all steel B.E....It's my bedside gun in fact.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:49 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Strange, I just ordered a metal frame Baby Desert Eagle II in 9mm for my 16 year old son yesterday. He paid half. I couldn't say no.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodySnatcher View Post
Strange, I just ordered a metal frame Baby Desert Eagle II in 9mm for my 16 year old son yesterday. He paid half. I couldn't say no.
Haha wow small world, I'm paying for half as well!

Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #8

I have a all steel be 40. It was my first handgun. My dad paid the tax. LOL

I love it and couldn't be more happy with it. At 16 you wont be carrying any time soon so weight shouldnt be a problem it will feel good and you'll get comfortable shooting. I say go for all steel you will never regret it.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #9

Liked 123 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I picked up a 9mm large frame steel baby eagle on Saturday 2/11 took it to the range on Mon. It's a sweetie in single action. I brought my .22 target pistola also there wasn't a great difference. If you like the finger grooves on the plastic DE , hogue apparently makes some that fit. I have pachmeyers on my wheel gun, the BDE doesn't need them. It feels great. Good balance. Good luck JMB