Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Baby Eagle ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Baby Eagle ?

So I think I'm pretty set on a Baby Eagle for a HD/target pistol. Previously I was looking at the Walther PPKS, but since they are at the same price point I figured I'd go with the bigger one bc I have fairly big mitts and I'm not worried about concealment. My big question is which caliber would be best for my aforementioned wants? The 9mm or the .45 ACP? I'm trying to limit overpenetration as I live in an apartment complex, however I want nothing large enough to get the job done quickly.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #2

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Research shot placement and handgun ammo

9mm is cheaper to practice with, offers more shots per magazine, less recoil for faster or more controlled follow up shots. Both are readily available

Anything powerful enough to kill a baddy is going to be powerful enough to go beyond or through your intended target so either live with that or get a baseball bat.

Baby Eagles are great weapons

Old 12-12-2012, 08:14 PM   #3

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I like the feel of the baby eagles ive shot one in 9 but im not a expert on them I like the gun itself for what it is. Really oli700 us right most rounds will most likely go through the target and hit walls and even go through them even target loads out of a 12 gauge with go through several layers of dry wall. So really if you do choose to go with a handgun for HD you should practice with it so if you need to use it you can make a well placed shot or shots so that way you can stop them with out having a lot of misses. I've gotten to the point with my 357 mag where I can draw and get all 6 shots on a paper plate within several seconds.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you like the Baby Eagle, you should also include the EAA Witness and CZ75 lines in your shopping. Both are derived from the Browning Hi-power, and have tremendous aftermarket support that the Baby Eagle may not enjoy.

The Witness, in particular, is a very popular competition pistol favored in Europe. It's available in single/double action, DA only or SA only, with a myriad of parts to customize your own. I seem to rcall one or two other makrs using the same platform, but my memory fails right now.

EDIT: Jericho, UZI Eagle(same as the Baby Eagle, but imported by Mossberg), TZ75 are some of the other CZ75 clones...

Last edited by scottybaccus; 12-12-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #5

Liked 391 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I have the Baby Eagle in .45 ACP and it is an awesome gun. You can get an EAA Witness for cheaper but I passed because I liked the quality and reputation of the Baby Eagle. I was not disappointed.

After-market support is limited and holsters are difficult to come by. That may be somewhat true of EAA in the US as well so it could be a toss up.

Baby Eagles also come in .40 S&W as well. I'm not a .40 fan by a long shot but it's not a bad compromise round.

The one hang-up I have with the .45 ACP is you have one option. Semi-Compact steel frame. The 9mm and .40 both have a range of sizes and both come in steel frame and polymer frame.

I personally have freakishly long mutant fingers and find the Baby Eagle quite comfortable to hold. I'm one of those people who think the grip on a Glock 21 is just right and didn't mind the original X-Box Controllers. I understand your burden. My son is more normal and he has not trouble with the Baby Eagle, it seems to be just right.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks all for the input. As long as I can put a laser or light on it I'm good to go. I'm not concealing it so I don't need a lot of aftermarket support for it. And I love the styling of it! Kind of a dumb thing to concerned about I know. I'm glad to hear it is a great gun. How hard is it to clean?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #7

Liked 391 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Field stripping is pretty standard. Because of the way the slide fits INSIDE the frame you need to pay attention to the lubrication points in the manual. It's really pretty simple and even when I was concerned I was doing it wrong I've still never had a failure.

Current models come equipped with an under-barrel accessory rail so mounting a laser or flashlight should be cake. If you're having trouble finding spare mags you can actually use the EAA .45 Witness magazines. They are that similar.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 AM   #8

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I too have had the BE since Feb 12. It was my first auto loader other than 22. I have really enjoyed since the get go I would talk anyone into buying it, over the tangfolio the EEA, even though the parts for IMI were made by them the guns are not the same, and I have not heard high points in regards to the Italian gun as I heard lowlights. Before I buy 90% of my firearms I do a lot of research , read every article I can get hold of. Compared with CZ 75b, BE is better IMHO .Rented Sig P226 Baretta, 92FS, CZ, and others and was not impressed. To be honest couldn't find BE or BHP. I hope you guys enjoy the Jericho as much as I do. One more note of interest I put some Hogues on it, and didn't gain a thing.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #9

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 3

PS It's heavy for conceal carry,and I do have a streamlight 3 for HD works great. 9mm is the way I went and glad I did. Don't shoot +p out of it though.. Lugs cannot handle them.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
Field stripping is pretty standard. Because of the way the slide fits INSIDE the frame you need to pay attention to the lubrication points in the manual. It's really pretty simple and even when I was concerned I was doing it wrong I've still never had a failure.

Current models come equipped with an under-barrel accessory rail so mounting a laser or flashlight should be cake. If you're having trouble finding spare mags you can actually use the EAA .45 Witness magazines. They are that similar.
Good intro to know thanks man