Auto-Forwarding, do you practice it? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Auto-Forwarding, do you practice it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 01:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Ah Wambli, I love you brother and good, intelligent, real world discussion has always been what's healthy about FTF.

Other forums would have members banned over disagreements like these, but that does NOTHING for the forum to grow.

In the case of shooting someone high on the drug of moment. Combat Focus stresses you shoot until the threat has ended. Period. There is no middle ground or second guessing.

So I have 8 plus one most of the time I carry. 7+1 when I carry my smaller pistol. That is truthfully not a lot of rounds if I am facing The Terminator.

But with good shooting there is opportunity for good movement. There is nothing confining me to a space where I am stuck and SuperHigh The Reality just gets to keep coming forward.

Just like chess, you move, I move, you move, I move.

If an opportunity presents itself to empty my weapon and end the threat, that is the primary response. If I see a moment where I can "hot reload" I am going to take it and I am going to worry about how many rounds I left in the mag I dropped later.

That was one of the most beneficial things, for me, about my time running through Rob's clever "real world" up in Colorado. The targets were different size and it took a different amount of "impact" to release it from it's cable/harness.

Some targets took one well placed round, some took 3 or 4, and some where just paper pops ups that would take one "kill" as judged by your trainer/principle.

If there is one thing that I would encourage everyone it is to train with as many people, safely, as you can. The more exposure you can have, the more experience you gleen, the more you will be able to form "your own system that works for you".

Old 06-19-2011, 01:22 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

ive always thought a tactical reload was reloading during a break in the firing pocketing the semi-empty mag and hoping its actually over and the shooting doesnt start back up...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-19-2011, 12:22 PM   #13

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Ah Wambli, I love you brother and good, intelligent, real world discussion has always been what's healthy about FTF.

Other forums would have members banned over disagreements like these, but that does NOTHING for the forum to grow.

In the case of shooting someone high on the drug of moment. Combat Focus stresses you shoot until the threat has ended. Period. There is no middle ground or second guessing.

So I have 8 plus one most of the time I carry. 7+1 when I carry my smaller pistol. That is truthfully not a lot of rounds if I am facing The Terminator.

But with good shooting there is opportunity for good movement. There is nothing confining me to a space where I am stuck and SuperHigh The Reality just gets to keep coming forward.

Just like chess, you move, I move, you move, I move.

If an opportunity presents itself to empty my weapon and end the threat, that is the primary response. If I see a moment where I can "hot reload" I am going to take it and I am going to worry about how many rounds I left in the mag I dropped later.

That was one of the most beneficial things, for me, about my time running through Rob's clever "real world" up in Colorado. The targets were different size and it took a different amount of "impact" to release it from it's cable/harness.

Some targets took one well placed round, some took 3 or 4, and some where just paper pops ups that would take one "kill" as judged by your trainer/principle.

If there is one thing that I would encourage everyone it is to train with as many people, safely, as you can. The more exposure you can have, the more experience you gleen, the more you will be able to form "your own system that works for you".
See, in reality we have no disagreement then. We were just peeling the apple from different directions. Like you I'll take any chance I have to do a mag exchange. I just wanted to emphasize that shooting to end the threat is the primary concern of the moment

And I agree that you should train with as many as you can. You never know where you are going to find that nugget of knowledge that will be your next "Wow now I get that! moment. After many years I still get those all the time.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've figured out how much force it takes to do it, the only question is, is it bad for your gun?

I can see problems arising from doing this too much.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyfan View Post
I've figured out how much force it takes to do it, the only question is, is it bad for your gun?

I can see problems arising from doing this too much.
i would say more liekly to cause a jam than anything. repeated smaking of plastic bottomed mags can possibly break something inside at the wrong time. and the time it happens is when you REALLLLLLY need that reload.

my opinion: bad habit; big design flaw

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-20-2011, 02:51 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't know if it's a design flaw or intentional, I tried this on my M&P 45 and it takes a lot more effort than one would use even in a stress situation. The concept of reloading is to seat the mag, it doesn't take a lot of effort. I can make it happen on my pistol but it takes a hard strike to the bottom of the mag, not something I would do if I was trying to stay on target while reloading.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:57 AM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I would really like to see Yunus weigh in on this one, as he and I shared some range time today and he has both a Glock and a Taurus PT-1911, but today he shot the Super Taurus, a Sig Sauer P-229, and the Nighthawk AAC.

Yunus?? You out there??

JD

Old 06-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #18

Liked 1155 Times on 692 Posts
Likes Given: 364

Personally I think the key is consistency. Knowing what your gun will do when you do X is a why the pro's train. I tend to shoot as a recreational shooter and use the slide release to lock the slide forward. If it goes forward when I lock the mag in place it would surprise me and cause me to think WTF just happened. Shooting on a range, no big deal, but in a real life situation your weapon causing you to think twice is HUGE problem.

I just don't see the advantage over manually racking the slide because you have to make sure you insert the mag with enough force or you end up delaying your reload. I would add the consistent .25 seconds of racking a slide over a potential 2 second thought process of WTF happened if you unintentionally insert the magazine with to little force or at a bad angle and have to manually rack the slide when your not expecting to.

I know my 1911 doesn't auto forward, I'll have to double check but I don't think my Glock does either, if it does I have not inserted a magazine hard enough to notice and that is something I would notice since it puts a live round in the chamber without my expectation.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 PM   #19

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
My opinion its a major design flaw gunmakers are attempting to call a "feature" in order not to have recalls.
I agree. I'm not a major fan of unproven improvements.

Maybe that's why most of what I shoot are relics...