Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Anyone here shoot a Bersa 9mm or larger? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/anyone-here-shoot-bersa-9mm-larger-36365/)

dgray64 01-03-2011 03:13 PM

Anyone here shoot a Bersa 9mm or larger?

I've been reading about them and they seem very popular with those who own them. Reasonably priced and accurate according to reports. I'd like to try one, but would like more personal info first. Thanks for the help.

Dave

JonM 01-03-2011 03:22 PM

they seem reliable enough: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/impressive-little-gun-36267/

never fired one or even seen one in a store. all the info i got is that video i posted and its from bersa's webpage

dgray64 01-03-2011 03:48 PM

Thanks JonM, I hadn't seen that video before. That is pretty darn reliable. I'll bet it was getting pretty hot to hold! I guess I'll have to try one.

Dave

JonM 01-03-2011 06:16 PM

ive never seen one in real life and that is a vid made by bersa but its impresive. if its anything like their little thunder 380's its prolly a good one.

Eric0424 01-04-2011 06:57 AM

A friend of mine had a Bersa Hi-Cap 380 and the Hi-Cap 9mm for while and I was able to shoot them several times. Both were accurate well made pistols and shot great, and we never had a problem with either one. If I hadn't stumbled across my stainless CZ75B for a ridiculously low price I would own a Bersa Thunder 9mm right now and I'm looking into one of their 45 models now.

Viking 01-04-2011 08:51 AM

I have a friend that has a Bersa Thunder 40, I've shot it using a few different bullet weight factory rounds and some of my handloads. It functioned without a hiccup and seemed quite accurate for out of the box shooting. I pulled the slide off to show him how to do it and looked "under the hood" it looks very well made for being a low cost firearm. I would own a Thunder. I do in a way, it's a pre Thunder model 83 .380 that's all steel.

DragonLW 01-04-2011 07:51 PM

I own the Firestorm branded 9mm (Bersa makes the UC 9, and they also make the Firestorm Mini 9) which is typically sold west of the Mississippi, while the Bersa UC 9 is available to dealers east of the Mississippi (its all about territory, dealership rights, etc...)

I bought my Firestorm from a Texas dealer via GunBroker, which is how I managed to own one east of the Mighty Mississippi.

Its a fairly decent shooter at firefight distances, but the barrel is much too short for decent accuracy beyond 7 - 10 yards (20-30 feet). Of course, I'm comparing its accuracy to my 1911, which is MUCH more accurate than the Bersa/Firestorm, but given what it is, and the price, you really can't go wrong for a defensive pistol in a rather compact package.

Where the Bersa UC9 / Firestorm Mini 9 really shine is their reliability. All metal construction, ambidextrous safeties, and the ability to swap the mag release from a right-handed grip to left-handed grip. Always ate anything it was fed, never jammed nor malfunctioned.

Triggers could stand to be worked on...the DA pull is HORRIBLE, but once you've cycled the first round through her, the SA pull is a respectable 5 pounds right out of the box. SA exhibits just over 1/16" of creep before the sear releases...not exactly a finely tuned trigger, but again, for the price point and what its designed for, the creep issue can be overlooked as well.

Squirrel_Slayer 01-04-2011 08:00 PM

I have shot both the Bersa Thunder .45 and the Thunder .380, and I liked them both. The da trigger pull is pretty tolerable, far better than any Ruger I have ever shot.

dgray64 01-07-2011 04:30 AM

I looked at both a Firestorm 40 and a Thunder 40 today at a pawn shop. Both were used and both were overpriced (about $400 out the door tax and all, saving about $40). I had looked at a Thunder 9 earlier, new at a local gun shop for $419 + tax. I liked the Firestorm 40 while the Thunder 40 had a bigger grip (too big for my hand). I had looked at a Thunder 45 as well new, but the grip was bigger than the 40. So do you think the quality of the Firestorm is up to that of the Thunder? What are your local costs? Thanks.

Dave

Rick1967 01-07-2011 05:19 AM

I have the concealed carry pro. It is 45 acp. Really good gun for the money. Feels good in the hand too.