Anyone heard of these?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Anyone heard of these?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Anyone heard of these?

I know it's going to be a year on a probationary licence before I can even apply to acquire a handgun, but I wanted to know if anyone has heared of Baikals? Apparently manufactured by Izhmash - and we all know what they make!

[and no I don't mean Moskvitchs lol]

Ticks all the necessary boxes so far:

* 10 round magazine capacity (yes, that's all we are allowed)
* approved by IPSC
* Interchangeable mag release, for the benefit of us leftys

At $850 it's more than 100 bucks less than the Glocks which annoy me so much...

oh yeah, being Russian I know it would piss off my Colt/Browning-loving self defence instructor so much. And that's gotta count lol

On one other note: Going to a gun expo this weekend; luckily it is being held in Sydney this time. Usually about 4 gun shows are held nationwide every year...one each in the 4 largest States.

Hey can always watch, learn & drool if I can't purchase, right?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I don't know about Baikal pistols, but their shotguns are pretty good.

Are you sure you wouldn't want an all steel pistol? Like a 1911?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-13-2009, 07:12 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I don't know about their pistols either, But in the gun store where I work, we have a single shot .223 rifle made by them and imported by remington.
Seems to be very well made.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have actually heard of them, but I have never shot one. You might want to check the metal content in that slide though, I am sure they are using some pretty rough stuff being smelted into shape. The tolerances might not be the best, but then again, look at the AK. That thing has horrible tolerances and will run in wet cement if you give it a chance.

Is there a way you can shoot it prior to purchase?? I don't know how much $850 NZ is, but that seems like a lot of money for what I am sure is not a lot of gun....

Keep us informed!

JD

Old 08-13-2009, 11:48 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I don't know about Baikal pistols, but their shotguns are pretty good.

Are you sure you wouldn't want an all steel pistol? Like a 1911?
Welll, CA....I know the 1911 is close to your heart

But just thinking that it might be a bit pricey for a first gun. Since a new Glock 17 would be about $1100...well you can imagine

The cheapest Taurus I've been able to find is 1400 bucks...and that's in 38 Super. I'm not sure but I think for the first gun you are restricted to 9mm only. (Oh no, that's not right...if you can't wait a year to purchase, after the first 6 months you can have a .22LR lol)

Then you have to factor in another 300 for a pistol safe as well. I'm just checking things out atm...there's a long road ahead until the possibility of ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I have actually heard of them, but I have never shot one. You might want to check the metal content in that slide though, I am sure they are using some pretty rough stuff being smelted into shape. The tolerances might not be the best, but then again, look at the AK. That thing has horrible tolerances and will run in wet cement if you give it a chance.

Is there a way you can shoot it prior to purchase?? I don't know how much $850 NZ is, but that seems like a lot of money for what I am sure is not a lot of gun....

Keep us informed!

JD
Hmmm, probably won't be able to shoot anything before purchase...it doesn't work like that here. You have to stipulate on your 'permit to acquire' form which gun you plan to get, before you send it in to the Firearms Registry for approval. The Baikal is being sold through a Victorian dealer, so that's in another State altogether! You want to buy interstate, you have to get it transferred to a local dealer.

And there are relatively few shops which sell pistols anyway, due to the fact that self-defence is not allowed so target shooters are a pretty small market. In fact, pistols were illegal in Australia until the 1950s when they were legalised for sport only (were first prohibited from the '20s onwards, due to panic over the Bolshevik Revolution - that fact has always made me lol)

Way more gun shops stock rifles, since they are far more widely used...farmers, hunters etc not only target shooters.

$A850 is about $US720, for reference. Oh, and it might be hard to tell us apart but our currency is worth a LIL more than the NZ dollar...just, lol

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Old 08-14-2009, 03:06 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well, it looks pretty good. If it can work for you, then alright. I thought CA's gun laws sucked, but man you've got it bad.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-14-2009, 03:50 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Zhuk, a friend of mine tested and reviewed one of these for a Spanish magazine. He liked it quite a lot and was planning on using it for IPSC.

Basically his conclusions were that it's a realible, tough gun, albeit a bit roughly finished. It was shipped in a cardboard box and the gun was wrapped in paper. No fancy cases here.

The only real problem he had was that the pistol hit low, since the front sight is part of the slide (it's not dovetailed) he had to file it down a bit.

Here's the article (in Spanish): Prueba exclusiva pistola Baikal Viking MP-446: La “revolución rusa” | Armas - Revista Armas | Reportajes de armas cortas, rifles, armamento policial/militar, armas blancas, competiciones

Old 08-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Well, it looks pretty good. If it can work for you, then alright. I thought CA's gun laws sucked, but man you've got it bad.
Indeed we do, CA...

On the upside, that's a thought those in California can take to bed to keep them warm at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
Zhuk, a friend of mine tested and reviewed one of these for a Spanish magazine. He liked it quite a lot and was planning on using it for IPSC.

Basically his conclusions were that it's a realible, tough gun, albeit a bit roughly finished. It was shipped in a cardboard box and the gun was wrapped in paper. No fancy cases here.

The only real problem he had was that the pistol hit low, since the front sight is part of the slide (it's not dovetailed) he had to file it down a bit.

Here's the article (in Spanish): Prueba exclusiva pistola Baikal Viking MP-446: La “revolución rusa” | Armas - Revista Armas | Reportajes de armas cortas, rifles, armamento policial/militar, armas blancas, competiciones

Hey really appreciate that info, Franciscomv! Very kind of ya.

Not surprised on the rough finish you mention, since it IS Russian after all lol

Going to have to look into it further...I have a year up my sleeve to make a choice anyway. But you might guess how I'm kinda...well patience has never been one of my strong suits really

Old 08-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #9

Default russian

the russians have made good firearm before this country.look at the nagant
in 1891 an we had trapdoors then the krag.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Amazingly, there was one of these at the gun show I went to yesterday. I found the action a bit stiff and a lil uh, gritty somehow, but that might well work in with time. The dealer said the Russians do tend to over-engineer stuff but it felt nice & solid...surprisingly heavy for a polymer. Glocks could be plastic toy guns by comparison lol

It's 900 bucks, so that's something to think about...and I only had to wade thru endless .22LRs & air pistols to hunt out the 9mms lol. Also found a small selection of highly dubious 'black & scary' tacticooled-looking bolt action rifles...and you rarely see anything like that here. Took the guy about 18 months to get em through Customs, apparently