Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Anyone have an Erme-Werke 68A? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/anyone-have-erme-werke-68a-77804/)

rocshaman 12-05-2012 10:11 PM

Anyone have an Erme-Werke 68A?

I inherited one of these little Lugers in a .380 and have a question or two about them. One thing I'm wondering a about is the toggle. When I pull it back (hard) with an empty mag in it, it catches and stays as it's supposed to. The problem is releasing it. I have to physically push down on the mag spring by reaching into the reciever to release it. For whatever reason I can't seem to just hit the mag ejector button to acomplish that, it's just way to tight to push. Also the mag itself is really tight and hard to get out of the gun until you reach a certain point then it slides right out. I looked it over and it doesn't appear to be bent or twisted. Maybe they're all like that?

rocshaman 12-06-2012 12:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
No one knows anything about these? Oh well, maybe I should take it to a gunsmith. Here are some pics of it.

Attachment 73227

Attachment 73228

Attachment 73229

BeyondTheBox 12-06-2012 12:40 AM

Queer lookin thing, but kinda cool too, in its oddity.

rocshaman 12-06-2012 12:44 AM

Yeah it is weird, I kinda like it though. It's really heavy for such a small pistol but it feels good in my hand.

BeyondTheBox 12-06-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocshaman (Post 1040611)
Yeah it is weird, I kinda like it though. It's really heavy for such a small pistol but it feels good in my hand.

Tell me a little about it...

rocshaman 12-06-2012 01:05 AM

I don't know a whole lot about them, just got the gun, but from what I can gather this particular model was probably made in the '60s, is German made by a company that's been around awhile. Uses Kal .9 Kurz/.380 (short) ammo and seems to be pretty well made except for the plastic grips which are IMO pretty crappy. Other than that I can't tell you a whole lot. I did find a site on how to field strip them, which I did and gave it a good cleaning. It was easy to break down and clean. The magazine is hard to get out like I mentioned in the first post, but they might just be made that way.

BeyondTheBox 12-06-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocshaman (Post 1040632)
I don't know a whole lot about them, just got the gun, but from what I can gather this particular model was probably made in the '60s, is German made by a company that's been around awhile. Uses Kal .9 Kurz/.380 (short) ammo and seems to be pretty well made except for the plastic grips which are IMO pretty crappy. Other than that I can't tell you a whole lot. I did find a site on how to field strip them, which I did and gave it a good cleaning. It was easy to break down and clean. The magazine is hard to get out like I mentioned in the first post, but they might just be made that way.

It looks very German, I really like. 380 is easy enough to find. I'd say it's a great acquisition!

rocshaman 12-06-2012 01:54 AM

I haven't shot it yet, but can't wait to try it out.

BeyondTheBox 12-06-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocshaman (Post 1040693)
I haven't shot it yet, but can't wait to try it out.

I look forward to a range report

rocshaman 12-14-2012 02:01 AM

I shot the pistol, and even though it shot alright, it seems to have some problems. Think I'll have it checked out by a local gunsmith I know. Basically the magazine ejection and inserting the mag to begin with just doesn't seem right, should be much easier and more fluid. I'd hate to get caught in a situation where I had to rely on the gun because by the time you got the mag in and cocked, you'd be dead.