Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Anyone Familiar With The Beretta Cougar?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2009, 03:57 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Default Anyone Familiar With The Beretta Cougar?

I picked up a super clean Beretta 8045 Cougar today. I had seen the Cougar in .40 and 9mm before but not .45ACP. I was wanting a compact size .45, so I grabbed this one. It seems to be a pretty nice pistol.

Anyhow, are any of you gents familiar with the Cougar and in particular the .45 model? I'm finding a bunch of nothing with google. Anyway, I would defer to your judgment before some strangers opinion.

Anybody?

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-17-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

BTW, I know that search is our friend, but I couldn't find anything on the .45ACP Cougar.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Congratulations

Found these off Dogpile. The last link is Dogpile. Great search engine.

Beretta Mini Cougar 45

Beretta 8000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beretta 8045 - Dogpile Web Search

Old 06-17-2009, 04:30 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks Jo. I forgot about dogpile. I'll have to add it to my favorites. It must've dropped off somehow.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Anybody with any experience with the Cougar, particularly the 8045?

The write ups seem pretty good. The only knock seems to be magazine capacity. I though higher cap mags were available...

Old 06-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I've handled them at SHOT, but I have never field tested them. They seem like a solid piece, though I believe the steel slide and aluminum frame are going to offer the same rock and rattle that made the M9/92/96 series a problem after a few thousand rounds.

As a basic CC weapon I think it would most probably last you a good long time CA.

How some pictures and a range report?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sure, I'll be happy to post pics and a range report. After ten days when I can get it out of Gun Jail. California ten day waiting period you know.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
I picked up a super clean Beretta 8045 Cougar today. I had seen the Cougar in .40 and 9mm before but not .45ACP. I was wanting a compact size .45, so I grabbed this one. It seems to be a pretty nice pistol.

Anyhow, are any of you gents familiar with the Cougar and in particular the .45 model? I'm finding a bunch of nothing with google. Anyway, I would defer to your judgment before some strangers opinion.

Anybody?
I don't have the .45 but I do have the .40 version. Actually it is the mini-Cougar (8040) It's called the "mini" because it comes with a short 8 rd. mag which makes it very concealable but doesn't have sufficient finger purchase, and it comes with a 10 rd. mag with a grip extension which makes it a full-sized Cougar. I bought it in 1999 for $550 and have put about 1500 rds. through it. It's not a 25yd. gun, but I didn't buy it for target shooting. It's extremely well made and solid and I like it, despite it's weight. The design is solid and supposedly more accurate due to the locking axial rotation of the barrel via the double cam acting on a tooth on the central block, securely locking the slide to the barrel. I have not had any jams during the entire time I've owned it. The new ones are made by Stoeger and are considerably less money, though I have read reviews claiming the finish is not as nice as the originals made in Italy. You should enjoy it!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks RL.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

ca, 6/18/09

I have had a 8045 mincougar for about a year now. By coincidence I am wearing it now as I type. It has about a thousand rounds of FMJ and hollow point ammo through it without any problems. Boringly reliable and accurate. Mine takes six round and eight round mags. Hard to go wrong with an 8045. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

ps- if you take a look at the beretta forum (Welcome to the Beretta Forum) info on the 8045 comes up fairly often.