Anyone ever tried this? Is it too far fetched?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Anyone ever tried this? Is it too far fetched?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyone ever tried this? Is it too far fetched?

I posted this on a different forum and I'm trying to get varying opinions and want to throw it at you here. For starters, I'm glad to be part of your community, thanks for having me. I recently purchased a S&W M&P 9mm std. and I'm truly thrilled with it. But here's a question I have concerning a cleaning method, and wonder if anyone's ever done this or heard of another that does this. After field stripping the pistol, submerge the polymer chassis in a mild soapy water bath and scrub the action with a nylon brush to clean it and then rinse well with fresh water. Knowing the materials involved in the chassis makeup (polymer plastics and stainless steel), I'm intrigued by the thought that this isn't necessarily a big no-no, provided you're very diligent in the drying step using compressed shop air (filtered) and leaving the pistol disassembled for a period of time for an extra measure of certainty that it is throughly dry, and then of course a good oiling/lube for the action area. Sounds nuts, but why not?? Gunsmiths, anyone? Thanks for any input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I used to wash my black powder revolver in the sink with dish soap and hot water. But that's a bit different.

It will probably work for you, but why bother?

Btw, welcome to the FTF community. When you get a chance, head over to the new member introductions and introduce yourself to the gang.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-29-2010, 03:12 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have an Ultrasonic Weapons Tank.

You put hot water and a soap solution in the tank, turn up the Ultrasonic frequency and let the weapon parts sit for about 8 to 10 minutes.

Then I take them to the sink, wash them in hot water and get the soap off.

Then I take them back to the tank, fill it with lubricant recommended by the manufacturer.

In over 4 years, I have had ZERO problems, no matter what weapon parts I put in there.

JD

Old 01-29-2010, 05:01 AM   #4

I guess the driving (or at least one of them) factor is the outrageous costs of the "polymer safe" solvents. Of course I use the solvents and cleaners liberally on the Stainless Steel Barrel/Slide and Structural Components, but then try to be extremely careful around the polymer when cleaning with the same products. To me it wouldn't be a bother using soapy water and drying as a method of cleaning if it proved to be effective. Just the mere statement of "firearms and water/moisture" would cause most any gun owner to shudder, but when you look at the technical aspect of it, (polymer, stainless steel, water) it shouldn't be a concern to believe this is acceptable means of cleaning a polymer chassis. I have yet to do this, but if or when I do, I'll give feedback on the outcome.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can clean polymer with hoppe's and it's cheap.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Aye, I just use the Hoppe's stuff on my M&P, works like a charm.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Depending on the level of filth, the use of dish soap and warm water is not only a good idea but many times a must!

Be sure to use plenty of fresh water to remove all soap residue.

The key is the drying process. This is most easily completed when the assembly is reduced to parts. The use of "shop air" is critical for achieving total dryness. Don't have a compressor and 100# air plumbed into your work area? Simple, buy a can of computer compressed gas for dust removal.

A hair dryer set on low or cool will do a good job as well.

Don't wait too long to get a light coat of lube, LCP or wax on your clean parts.

NOTE: DO NOT USE a product like ArmorAll on any part of your weapon! You will regret it's use!!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 01-29-2010 at 01:13 PM.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:36 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I always cleaned my tupperware like that.. mild soap and warm water,...

****** "Shoot him again - His soul is still dancing" ******

Old 01-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #9

Canebrake, Thanks for the vote of confidence I've been looking for. I just can't see how doing this properly could be detrimental...

Old 01-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #10

Mr. Bluesky, and any other S&W semi-auto owners, be advised that in the owners manual for an M&P, I ran across an advisory to never use ammoniated solvents on any S&W firearm. I've been researching the MSDS for several solvents and Hoppe's #9 has listed ammonium hydroxide (35ppm). I emailed S&W Tech Support and asked specifically about #9 and it wasn't recommended by them. Here's their recommendation quoted: "Hoppe's Elite, or Breakfree, or MPRO7 will work fine on the M&P". Surely it would take extreme misuse of something like #9 to realize any detrimental effects, but I don't think I'll take any chances.