Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Any suggestions for a concealed carry .380 auto pistol for the wife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Thanks for all the advice guys. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience with Kel-Tec's pistols?

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:06 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4463 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbwolverine View Post
Thanks for all the advice guys. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any experience with Kel-Tec's pistols?
my opinion: good for range fun, wouldnt trust my life to one.

others may have a different opinion.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-17-2011, 02:11 AM   #13

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I like the Bersa as well. But I would also recommend the Kahr P380. There's another .380 I like that I'm forgetting.

Quote:
I had the P3AT and I would trust it with my life. And I wouldn't call it fun to shoot either. As long as you get a 2nd generation model they are dead set reliable. I only ever had one failure with mine and that was an FTE caused by limp wristing the first time I shot it.

I will say that you do get what you pay for, and this applies to the Ruger LCP as well. But, you can't dry fire this gun. You will cause damage. I dry fired mine accidentally a few times and I was lucky. I had seen a couple that only had about six dry fires or so before damage was done. This can be especially problematic as neither will lock the slide back on the last round. The P3AT doesn't have a slide lock, period. And the LCP doesn't lock back on the last round. So, you have to keep track of how many rounds you've fired or you will dry fire it.

I have some other small complaints, but those two were the reason I eventually sold the gun.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:20 AM   #14
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Whatever you consider, make every effort to shoot one before you buy. There's a trade-off with handguns.... shorter barrel = less weight = MORE perceived recoil.

And there are some very nicely made "carry purses" that incorporate a holster built into the purse. Train (snap caps or dummy rounds) with the purse... she can shoot right through it without having to draw the weapon, if need be.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 08-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

For a .380 with power and punch
I never leave home without Ruger LCP.
Originally bought as a back-up. Now use
as a primary.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I've shot the keltec .380, it was a horrible experience..... I do own a Ruger LCP and it is a great carry piece! Not too bad at the range either.
I keep it loaded with fmj ammo because I'm going for penetration.
You won't be disappointed with the lcp.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If recoil is an issue that is driving her to the .380, she will probably not be happy with a super-compact like the LCP or S&W Bodyguard. I would think a more traditional size .380 might fit the ticket. My choice would be the Sig Sauer P232.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 08-17-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2260 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drriley View Post
Regardless of the final pistol choice, PLEASE get a proper holster even if (especially if) she plans to carry it in a purse.

The news story is always about a woman dropping her purse or putting on the counter an a gun going off because it was loose in the purse an something got into the trigger gaurd. Always sounds far fecthed, but it happens a lot...........
I have never seen this happen and have never read a news story about it happening. If it was happening "a lot" the anti-gun left wing media would plaster it on the Communist News Network 24/7. Is it possible? Sure. Is it a problem? I do not believe so. WTS, I agree a handgun should not be loose in a purse (or just slid under the front seat of your car).

Try to avoid the desire to get a tiny little pistol. They may be "cute", light and compact, but they are difficult to shoot well. Less weight means more recoil. The Bersa has a big fan base. The S&W Bodyguard looks interesting, but I have not handled one. For a "mid size" .380 look at the Beretta 84/85 or he now discontinued Browning BDA (made by Beretta). They are small enough to be concealable, but large enough to shoot comfortably and accurately.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball