Any suggestions for a concealed carry .380 auto pistol for the wife?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Any suggestions for a concealed carry .380 auto pistol for the wife?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Any suggestions for a concealed carry .380 auto pistol for the wife?

My wife and I will be getting our concealed carry permits soon (as soon as we find out whether we're moving to another state or not) and have been looking into each getting a concealed carry weapon. I haven't even decided what caliber I want yet, but my wife has decided she wants a .380 ACP. She's tried 9mm, .45, and .40, and doesn't like the noise and recoil of any of them, but is much more comfortable firing a .380. So far the only rental gun we've been able to try is a Walther PPKS and neither of us could stand it. We both had at least 2 jams in every single magazine we fired. So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a concealed carry .380 auto pistol. She plans to carry it in her (fairly large) purse, so it doesn't need to be real tiny.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Last edited by canebrake; 08-17-2011 at 02:13 AM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #2

Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts

Well I would suggest from my personal experience with a bersa thunder .380. I had mine, shot 200 rounds through it no problems whatsoever. Has one of the smoothest trigger pulls out there. I got rid of it b/c ammo is so expensive. So...I bought a lc9 instead. The ruger lcp is great for ccw but its not a gun you want to shoot a bunch b/c of its small design. The Smith & Wesson bodyguard is another good choice. The bersa is similar to the ppk in looks but I really did love that gun. It has a great weight balance and isn't as snappy as other .380's out there. Plus you can get it in double stack too which is nice. The only complaint I had about it was the magazine safety. Also....IMHO, carrying in a purse is not something I recommend. Too many possible scenarios to not get to the gun in time. Anyways...you'll get a bunch of different suggestions from people on the forum but its ultimately gonna come down to your guys' preferences. And there's my .02

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 08-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have a Bersa .380 I love it for its all around versatility. Small, accurate, reliable (if you take care of it) and packs enough punch to get the job done. I plan on using it when I take my CHL class cause it's so accurate (Bullseyes all day long) and reliable. I've looked at others such as the Diamondback .380, Ruger LCP and a couple others I can't remember and would go with the Bersa again if I had the choice. My female friend who is a little thing (4'10" and 95lb) loves the Bersa 380cc (concealed carry version) she bought. Like said, I wouldn't have your wife cary in a purse. My wife got mugged one night and what did the guy take? Her purse.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5499 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

im another fan of the bersa thunder 380. they come in 7 round and 15 round versions.

bersa thunder 380 plus 15+1

bersa thunder 380 7+1

i havent had any problems with either of em

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #5

Liked 41 Times on 34 Posts

The other good thing about the bersa is they're pretty inexpensive. New is gonna run you around $300 at the most for the standard and about $325/$350 for the plus (double stack) Another thing I got for my wife was the kimber pepper blaster. Very easy to conceal and an excellent threat deterrent. Its misery at 12 feet away. 45-60 min incapacitation. My wife carries one in her pocket when she's out. I'd recommend one for anyone for that matter for a nice little backup.

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 08-14-2011, 11:59 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A friend of mine has both the Bersa and the new Walther PK380. She like them both but much prefers the Walther. She says it seems more accurate, easier to shoot, and it "feels" as if it has less recoil.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am keeping my BodyGuard 380, but if I had to make a choice all over again, I'd look at other guns. My BG is OK, but realistically, I know I will not have time to turn on the laser pointer in a SD situation. Also, typical of guns this size and caliper the BG has a long pull DA trigger. The folks at my LGS agree I need to put more rounds through it and the trigger should smooth out, but right now there is no way I could shoot those tight groups at 10 yards

Old 08-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #8

I also own the BG. The trigger pull is very typical for this type of weapon. It gets better the more you use it but will never reduce the long DA affect. The laser is also a nice feature and don't mind having to activate it. If you were trained properly your trigger finger is always extended and not on the trigger when drawing the weapon. My finger naturally extends to the lasers activation button so it's not an issue. I own a Crimson grip laser for my M&P and if it's not on, I have to activate it first...to me that is more of a hassle if i forget to activate prior to leaving home.

As far as what is the best for CCW, it depends on your comfort and experience. If you aren't use to the hard long trigger pull of the 380 it won't be an effective choice. I prefer the M&P compacts in the 9 and 40 calibers.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Regardless of the final pistol choice, PLEASE get a proper holster even if (especially if) she plans to carry it in a purse.

The news story is always about a woman dropping her purse or putting on the counter an a gun going off because it was loose in the purse an something got into the trigger gaurd. Always sounds far fecthed, but it happens a lot...........

Old 08-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #10

Liked 1332 Times on 823 Posts
Likes Given: 312

I like the FEG SMC .380. For under $200.00 you can't beat 'em. I also like the FEG PA-63. I own several of FEG guns and they are light weight, easily concealed, and function flawlessly.

I enjoy these guns on the range, but I personally don't like the idea of .380 as a defensive weapon, however if a larger caliber is too uncomfortable for you to practice, practice, practice with, the .380 beats a purse or pocket knife for self defense.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan